wolfenstein demo for sega genesis

Announce (tech) demos or games releases

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:33 pm

It runs on real hardware but I always need to do a reset first or it is stuck with black screen.
wolfdemo_wsoundb.bin - it loads stuff on screen and as soon as the music starts it just suddenly goes to that "blank" screen.
Thanks for trying these demos, and sorry for taking so long to respond, I have been busy doing some testing and I'm pretty sure I found the error in the demo. As I said before I could not test it on real hardware, but I found a way to do: I made a CD with demo versions of several possible fixes, and then to try on a sega cd and see how it works.

For the tests I did, the error must be in the initialization of the z80.
See readme.txt to know the differences with the demos.

Here I leave this demo of sega cd to download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/qdrhc ... d_wolf.rar

And also this version of the demo I think (hope) will not fail:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/bvdsz ... oundb2.rar

The music sounds different on the actual hardware, but I think it is for some error in the replayer tfc, that emulators do not see the difference.

Mask of Destiny
Very interested

Post by Mask of Destiny » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:58 am

wolfdemo_wsoundb2.bin works on my Mega Everdrive, but the music is kind of messed up. It plays and I can sort of recognize it, but it's definitely not right. It does sort of seem like it could be missed writes.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:26 am

The most common FM mistake is to think that when you write to the alternate half of the FM chip, you have to wait on the status from that control register as well. You must always read the status from 0x4000 regardless of which half of the FM chip you're writing to.

inu
Very interested

Post by inu » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Works on Exodus as well now.

The only thing I noticed was that I can't shoot while running (or run+shoot+strafe) on Exodus. However, I can do it on Kega Fusion.
How does it behave on real hardware?

Something that might need a little bit of tweaking is the gray used on the arm and pistol, as it's the same color as for the floor.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:48 pm

inu wrote:The only thing I noticed was that I can't shoot while running (or run+shoot+strafe) on Exodus. However, I can do it on Kega Fusion.
How does it behave on real hardware?
The last posted rom doesn't work on my CDX. However, under picodrive, it runs+strafes+shoots just fine. If your emulator is mapped to the keyboard, it's probably a limitation of the number of keys that can be held down (most keyboards limit you to two or three keys at once unless they are "qualifier" keys like shift or control). I'm using picodrive mapped to a controller, so I don't run into that limit. This limit of keyboards is PRECISELY why shooters like Wolf or Doom default to mapping run to shift, and shoot to control - so you can run+strafe+shoot all at the same time.

Sdw

Post by Sdw » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:08 pm

This is impressive, 15 fps is well playable!
I wonder how much it will drop with sprite rendering/game logic etc. running.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:16 pm

Okay, I got the rom to work on my CDX... I had to use a different aliasing mode in the NeoMyth menu to get it to run... does it actually checksum the whole rom space? Seems like it from how it behaves. You really should not check any kind of checksum while debugging a game. I don't even do checksums on my finished roms... it's really pretty useless for flash carts.

Anywho, it runs+strafes+shoots all the same time on real hardware.

inu
Very interested

Post by inu » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:12 am

Changed the default Exodus 1.0.0 keys around as Chilly Willy suggested; and everything works just fine now. :)

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:28 am

inu wrote:Changed the default Exodus 1.0.0 keys around as Chilly Willy suggested; and everything works just fine now. :)
Good - when using emulators, you have to be aware of limitations like that. It's partly why I map the inputs to a controller instead of using the keyboard. It's also more like real hardware that way.

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:12 pm

wolfdemo_wsoundb2.bin works on my Mega Everdrive, but the music is kind of messed up. It plays and I can sort of recognize it, but it's definitely not right. It does sort of seem like it could be missed writes.
Well, at least in my case it seems that the music does not sound so bad, I made a video using a TV capture card, with the sega cd demo and here is:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/134u6 ... cdtest.rar
This is how it sounds in your system?
The most common FM mistake is to think that when you write to the alternate half of the FM chip, you have to wait on the status from that control register as well. You must always read the status from 0x4000 regardless of which half of the FM chip you're writing to.
I always read the status from 0x4000, so I do not understand what happens. :?

Mask of Destiny
Very interested

Post by Mask of Destiny » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:42 am

gasega68k wrote:This is how it sounds in your system?
Nope. On my VA1 Genesis 2, it doesn't sound much like that and the sound effects only work some of the time. Here are some samples. This one was from a run in which the sound effects were not working and this one is from an instance in which they were.

I moved my Mega Everdrive over to my Model 1 Genesis (I think it's a VA6 since it has both an EXT port and a TMSS) briefly to test there and it seemed to produce similar results to your video capture. Was your recording done on a Model 1 as well?

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:17 pm

Nope. On my VA1 Genesis 2, it doesn't sound much like that and the sound effects only work some of the time. Here are some samples. This one was from a run in which the sound effects were not working and this one is from an instance in which they were.
It sounds much worse than I thought!. :shock:
I moved my Mega Everdrive over to my Model 1 Genesis (I think it's a VA6 since it has both an EXT port and a TMSS) briefly to test there and it seemed to produce similar results to your video capture.
Is there any difference in the sound system between the two models to sound so different?
Was your recording done on a Model 1 as well?
Yes, this is a Model 1 (I think a VA6, but has no EXT port).

Okay, I'll do a version without sound effects, so the z80 will be permanently stopped. If the music sounds good, then the error could be in the communication between the Z80 and 68000. Download here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/55pue ... amples.rar

Mask of Destiny
Very interested

Post by Mask of Destiny » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:03 pm

gasega68k wrote:Is there any difference in the sound system between the two models to sound so different?
Model 1s (except for the VA7 I think) use a discrete YM2612. Most model 2s use an integrated sound chip based on the YM3438 (CMOS version of the YM2612). It's not exactly a YM3438 though as the DAC is different. It's possible there are some other changes as well.

I imagine the CDX has an integrated YM3438 as well. Perhaps Chilly Willy can chime in on how things sounded for him.

EDIT: I'll give the no-sfx version a try once I get home.

EDIT #2: Music is still really messed up. Sounds a little different, but not really any closer to what it is supposed to sound like.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:21 am

On the CDX, the PCM sounds okay, but the music is completely farged.

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:11 pm

Music is still really messed up. Sounds a little different, but not really any closer to what it is supposed to sound like.
So the problem is in the tfc replayer, I think maybe I'll make my own sound engine to play the music, but for now I'll leave it like this and I will focus on the 3d engine (add sprites and pushable walls) and modify the player graphics as suggested inu. :)