Cycle accurate Mega Drive emulation: Exodus coming in April!

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

King Of Chaos
Very interested

Post by King Of Chaos » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:31 pm

Looks like the Sega CD, 32X, Master System and LD requests are gaining the most votes right now. I'm not surprised. :P

Three and a half more days!

Oerg866
Very interested

Post by Oerg866 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:51 am

King Of Chaos wrote:Looks like the Sega CD, 32X, Master System and LD requests are gaining the most votes right now. I'm not surprised. :P
That is dumb and people who vote for that at this precise moment in time should feel bad. Instead of making good and reasonable feature requests they completely ignore what the emulator is meant to be (or meant to be right now) and making retarded requests like this.

sigh :(

LocalH
Very interested

Post by LocalH » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:55 am

I can understand the MS requests more than the other ones, as it would really be more like "emulating the MD fully" than "emulating a whole other system". I also understand that Nemesis is planning on doing so at some point after the initial public release :)

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:58 am

Oerg866 wrote:
King Of Chaos wrote:Looks like the Sega CD, 32X, Master System and LD requests are gaining the most votes right now. I'm not surprised. :P
That is dumb and people who vote for that at this precise moment in time should feel bad. Instead of making good and reasonable feature requests they completely ignore what the emulator is meant to be (or meant to be right now) and making retarded requests like this.

sigh :(
If people are interested in it, I'm interested in hearing about it. I won't guarantee that I'll always work on what's most popular, but I do want to factor it into my development. Support for other systems are long-term goals, but I'd prefer to know what systems are more sought after earlier rather than later.

Huge
Very interested

Post by Huge » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:30 pm

Sega CD and 32x comes naturally.

For Master System, there's a slight bump though: either do it as in Megadrive backwards compatibility mode, or do it as a native Master System.

dr. apocalipsis
Interested

Post by dr. apocalipsis » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:33 am

If you dont mind, I linked this at NeoGAF.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread. ... st56007460

Bitybity
Interested

Post by Bitybity » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:53 am

You have no idea how much am I excited to test it out... there's much time left, and I'm really desesperated.
I just wanna congratulate you, Nemesis, for your work and effort on this ;)

I have a question though: Does it include a map viewer? No emulator does it yet, and sometimes I really need it.

mickagame
Very interested

Post by mickagame » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:42 pm

My Rom collection is ready !!!

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:28 am

Sorry I've been a bit quiet the last few days, just working frantically to try and meet the deadline. As of a few hours ago, I now have a build that's ready for release, just putting it through its final paces. Everything's all set for the release in a few hours time :).

Also, the website is now properly up and running, check it out at http://www.exodusemulator.com. Please bear with me as I work out the kinks. There's some more detailed information about Exodus on the website, including some screenshots, so take a peek if you're interested.

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:04 am

I suggest adding actual frequency to the audio debug and if you are feeling adventurous then even actual musical note (with +/- detune).
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:41 am

There will be an advanced operator editing panel for the YM2612 which will give a lot of additional information, including frequency information. I hadn't thought about correlating with real musical notes, that's a good idea. The operator editor window is currently disabled, since it's not even close to finished yet. I haven't done anything similar for the PSG yet though.

Mamizou
Interested

Post by Mamizou » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:47 am

Nemesis wrote:There will be an advanced operator editing panel for the YM2612 which will give a lot of additional information, including frequency information.
It'd be cool if you could use it to generate instrument patches for exporting without a ROM loaded, or just export a patch currently loaded from a game (to a .vgi, .dat, etc.).

That and a graphical audio status view, like Genecyst's FM Info.

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:23 am

I've just published information on the recommended system requirements for Exodus on the news section of the site. :)

King Of Chaos
Very interested

Post by King Of Chaos » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:14 am

I'm guessing for my AMD hex core CPU I'll probably have to overclock it to 3.8GHz to get full speed. No problems there but this spurs my decision to get some new (Intel) hardware sooner than later. :)

Question, is Exodus only going to come in x86 binary form, or can a x64 binary (on Windows at least) be built too when the source is released?

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:55 am

I'll actually only be releasing an x64 build. The simple fact is, if your processor isn't 64-bit, you haven't got a hope in hell of running this thing at a reasonable speed. The memory footprint is also considerable. Not enough to bother a modern system, but enough that a 4GB address space feels a little cramped. You can make a 32-bit build from the source, but I won't be releasing one.