Talk about development tools here

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Oerg866
Very interested

BIG Shiru TFM/VGM MM Mirror!!!!

Post by Oerg866 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:14 am

Most of shiru's MD related tools now have a MIRROR

Hello,

most of you have probably noticed that all the MD related tools from shiru are completely gone.

Together with Sik, TimEE and andlabs I've created an archive of all the files I could find related to this. Right now we have:

Code: Select all

46.783 gym2tfm.zip              GYM2TFM Program, Made in 2005, probably shiru's first TurboSound FM program.
        39.146 tfmcom.zip               TFMCOM Program. Probably the original version of it. Dated 2007.
       463.481 tfmmaker10.rar           Original TFM Music Maker version.
       859.583 tfmmaker11.zip           TFM Music Maker v1.1
       844.896 tfmmaker121.zip          TFM Music Maker v1.21
       943.265 tfmmaker122.zip          TFM Music Maker v1.22
       965.332 tfmmaker13.zip           TFM Music Maker v1.3
     1.322.816 tfmmaker14.zip           TFM Music Maker v1.4
     1.088.976 tfmmaker151.zip          TFM Music Maker v1.51
       105.153 tfmplay.zip              TFMPlay v0.3 for the PC
        44.376 vgm2opm.zip              VGM to OPM converter v1.0
        43.227 vgm2tfi.zip              VGM to TFI converter v1.0
       867.547 vgmmaker10.zip           VGM Music Maker v1.0
     1.202.640 vgmmaker102.zip          VGM Music Maker v1.02
     2.256.653 vgmmaker11.zip           VGM Music Maker v1.1
        23.461 vopmxtfi.zip             VOPM instrument to TFI converter v1.1
Still MISSING are:

tfmmaker12.zip
tfmmaker152.zip

DOWNLOAD HERE: http://www.mdscene.net/md/shiru

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Post by djcouchycouch » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:35 am

Very nice! Good job!

bastien
Very interested

Post by bastien » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:26 am

Thanks for sharing this.

Here are tfmmaker 152 :
http://sega4ever.power-heberg.com/Downl ... ker152.rar

i think i have also the V12 but i'n my laptop , will sharing it monday ;)

slobu
Very interested

Post by slobu » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:52 pm

It should be noted that it wouldn't be wise to ask Shiru for support. Also, the Echo sound system seems to be the future. Oerg866 and Sega16 have already added some support for BasiEgaXorz even.

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Post by djcouchycouch » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:56 pm

slobu wrote:It should be noted that it wouldn't be wise to ask Shiru for support. Also, the Echo sound system seems to be the future. Oerg866 and Sega16 have already added some support for BasiEgaXorz even.
If only there were an Echo music tracker! *hint hint* *nudge nudge* :)

slobu
Very interested

Post by slobu » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:15 pm

The cool thing is, there's already tools to take an .XM tracker file and convert it. Basically, any tracker that can output .XM files can be used (which is almost all of them).

What I'd REALLY like is the MIDI to Echo converter to become useable. It sounds stupid but I'm more comfortable with Mario Paint Composer which has a MIDI utility. Going from MIDI to XM has been a real hassle in the past.

MaliceX

Post by MaliceX » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:38 am

Add this to the list for history's sake, even though it's not needed since the existence of VGMMM.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1287967/vgmglue.zip

EDIT: VGM2OPM 1.1 should be added to the missing list.
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/7184/ ... 51-to-opm/

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:18 pm

I do this for MIDI to XM...

First you need a decent set of GUS patches:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/2/3/2 ... GUSPATs.7z

Then you need gmid2mod:
http://slick.cokeandcode.com/static.php?page=GMid2Mod

That's a Windows app... there's supposed to be a linux version, but I've never found it. It runs in WINE, so I don't care too much. Just decompress the gmid2mod archive to your Windows drive/WINE drive_c directory. Then decompress the GUS patch archive to the gmid2mod directory. Then convert MIDI files like this:

wine gmid2mod -8bit -maxrate 24000 -maxch 12 -dirtyend -sampd RolandSC -outd ../temp/xm ../temp/Doom-sfn/*.mid
The options do the following:
-8bit makes the instruments stored in the XM all 8 bits
-maxrate 24000 makes the instruments a max of 24 kHz
Those two limit the size of the resulting XM file.
-maxch 12 limits the score to twelve channels (you might play around with this)
-dirtyend means it just cuts off the score abruptly at the end, which is what you want for music that loops
-sampd RolandSC sets the directory where the samples are located
-outd ../temp/xm sets the directory where the output xm files will be stored
../temp/Doom-sfn/*.mid sets the source files (any .mid file in the Doom-sfn directory)

Paths above are in unix format - in Windows, change / to \ in the paths. the ".." means one directory back, or the same level as the gmid2mod directory. You can change the paths as needed. For example, if they were in the gmid2mod directory, you'd just delete the "../" prefix.

GMID2MOD makes a really nice XM file, and the Roland instruments I linked above sound pretty nice. The instrument names in the XM file come from the GUS PAT file names, so it should be easy to figure out how to make the map files xm2esf needs.

Oerg866
Very interested

Post by Oerg866 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:20 am

The reason why Echo does not have something easy for just importing a midi from someone else and be done with it is that Echo was aimed at the composer who wants to take control of the system, not random people without any musical talent =P

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:01 am

Oerg866 wrote:The reason why Echo does not have something easy for just importing a midi from someone else and be done with it is that Echo was aimed at the composer who wants to take control of the system, not random people without any musical talent =P
:lol:

It does seem like most MIDIs suck, but there's also a lot of good stuff that is in MIDI format, so making people do another conversion to use it is a pain and people will complain.

The nice thing about importing MIDI is the person can make a General MIDI config file setting the FM parameters for each instrument, and not have to worry about figuring out what instruments are used - that's part of the MIDI info. In converting XMs, you have to figure out what is being used by hand, then make a conversion file for each file, all by hand. It's a tedious process for dozens of files that MIDI would completely eliminate.

slobu
Very interested

Post by slobu » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:43 pm

Oerg866 wrote:The reason why Echo does not have something easy for just importing a midi from someone else and be done with it is that Echo was aimed at the composer who wants to take control of the system, not random people without any musical talent =P
In my case, I am using a composition tool that only saves in MIDI format. So, not having a working MIDI conversion tool stops music rippers but also stops music composers. That's why I hope you continue to improve your MIDI tool.

Thanks again for your continued work on Echo!

Pascal
Very interested

Post by Pascal » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:13 pm

Chilly Willy wrote:I do this for MIDI to XM...

First you need a decent set of GUS patches:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/2/3/2 ... GUSPATs.7z

Then you need gmid2mod:
http://slick.cokeandcode.com/static.php?page=GMid2Mod

That's a Windows app... there's supposed to be a linux version, but I've never found it. It runs in WINE, so I don't care too much. Just decompress the gmid2mod archive to your Windows drive/WINE drive_c directory. Then decompress the GUS patch archive to the gmid2mod directory. Then convert MIDI files like this:

wine gmid2mod -8bit -maxrate 24000 -maxch 12 -dirtyend -sampd RolandSC -outd ../temp/xm ../temp/Doom-sfn/*.mid
The options do the following:
-8bit makes the instruments stored in the XM all 8 bits
-maxrate 24000 makes the instruments a max of 24 kHz
Those two limit the size of the resulting XM file.
-maxch 12 limits the score to twelve channels (you might play around with this)
-dirtyend means it just cuts off the score abruptly at the end, which is what you want for music that loops
-sampd RolandSC sets the directory where the samples are located
-outd ../temp/xm sets the directory where the output xm files will be stored
../temp/Doom-sfn/*.mid sets the source files (any .mid file in the Doom-sfn directory)

Paths above are in unix format - in Windows, change / to \ in the paths. the ".." means one directory back, or the same level as the gmid2mod directory. You can change the paths as needed. For example, if they were in the gmid2mod directory, you'd just delete the "../" prefix.

GMID2MOD makes a really nice XM file, and the Roland instruments I linked above sound pretty nice. The instrument names in the XM file come from the GUS PAT file names, so it should be easy to figure out how to make the map files xm2esf needs.
I've a question about this. I'm really really n00b in music (and lame). i used your method to convert a rick dangerous title midi to xm. i've a xm which sound good. but now, i'm confused. how can i get the instruments eif file ??

i checked in milky tracker, i've 3 samples & 1 instruments...
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9711452/rick1-st.xm

Any pointers would bre really appreciated

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:56 pm

You write down what the instruments are in the module, then go through your archive of FM instruments to find those (or close enough) FM instruments to use. There's no way to convert a sample from a module into an FM instrument automatically. However, if you had a full set of MIDI FM sounds, you COULD go straight from MIDI to FM. I always wondered why people went from xm or it to FM instead of MIDI for that reason.

Pascal
Very interested

Post by Pascal » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:31 pm

thanks for your reply.

what it's weird, if i open directly my mid file in mod plug, they are already using samples :s i'm cursed :<

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:01 pm

Modplug assigns GM.DLS (sound font in every windows used to play MIDIs) to any MIDI imported.
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen