32xrick

Announce (tech) demos or games releases

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

Chilly Willy
Very interested

32xrick

Post by Chilly Willy » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:05 am

Just to keep the 32X homebrew scene going, here's a quick port of xrick - the cross-platform (SDL) Rick Dangerous clone. This is the full game done for the 32X; personally, I think the Genesis version released earlier is a lot more impressive since you're pushing the system, while it's barely straining the 32X. As usual, it includes the code for those who wish to make changes or just see how it was done.

This runs on emulators or real hardware, but as with my other stuff, it uses DMA for the audio, so the audio may not be quite right on some emulators.

Controls
UP = Jump/Climb Up
DOWN = Crouch/Crawl/Climb Down
LEFT = Go Left
RIGHT = Go Right
A = Action Button - hold A and press a direction
A + UP = Shoot Gun
A + DOWN = Set Dynamite
A + LEFT/RIGHT = Jab with Stick
C = End
START = Pause/Resume
X = Mute
Y = Volume Down
Z = Volume Up
MODE + X = Cheat 1
MODE + Y = Cheat 2
MODE + Z = Cheat 3

32xrick-20110430.7z

mic_
Very interested

Post by mic_ » Mon May 02, 2011 7:09 am

Nice. A 32X game that doesn't suck :)

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Mon May 02, 2011 7:45 am

mic_ wrote:Nice. A 32X game that doesn't suck :)
:lol:

I've been looking around for things like this that make fairly quick and easy ports to the 32X. Some of these old games are still kinda fun for some folks.

Pascal
Very interested

Post by Pascal » Mon May 02, 2011 6:14 pm

nice one Chilly Willy ;) but still i've a small preference for the megadrive version ;)

Kojote

Post by Kojote » Wed May 18, 2011 1:19 am

Pascal wrote:nice one Chilly Willy ;) but still i've a small preference for the megadrive version ;)
Round One - Fight! :)

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed May 18, 2011 4:16 am

Kojote wrote:
Pascal wrote:nice one Chilly Willy ;) but still i've a small preference for the megadrive version ;)

Well, it wasn't meant to be a fight. The MD version is (probably) much harder to work with given the need to convert the graphics and then make it work on cells. My port was meant to give more examples of practical games on the 32X hoping that maybe someone would perhaps use it for their own game. You could easily change the graphics and levels for a custom game.

Conversely, someone could look at how I did the port and do a port of their own. Maybe I should work on a port of SDL itself sometime. :D

TotOOntHeMooN
Interested

Post by TotOOntHeMooN » Thu May 19, 2011 9:30 pm

Nice port ! :)

Pascal
Very interested

Post by Pascal » Sun May 22, 2011 3:21 am

Chilly Willy wrote:
Kojote wrote:

this was not a competition remark, just a tease, we re part of a great scene ;) its really great to see all the effort CW is doing to push the 32x scene, now, he s tempting me ;) btw, a SDL port would be AWESOME.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sun May 22, 2011 4:24 am

Pascal wrote:btw, a SDL port would be AWESOME.
You mean a port of SDL itself? I've been thinking about it. That would make ports of some stuff using SDL easier. The problem is the lack of ram in the 32X - SDL can be incredibly wasteful of memory, and programs using SDL often assume they have "infinite" memory. It's better on the 32X to replace the SDL code with something that does just what is needed to make the program work.

TotOOntHeMooN
Interested

Post by TotOOntHeMooN » Sun May 22, 2011 6:23 am

SDL was thought for PC and by the way, was not optimised for vintage videogames systems. (use lot of RAM and not run fast)
10 years ago, two LIBs are used for programming games : SDL, and Allegro.
Allegro comes from Atari ST computer and was ported to PC.
I remember that Allegro was 2 times faster and use less memory, because all was optimised for performances... But SDL comes most popular. :(

For PC users, I have so written a little wrapper for use some stuff with C++ convenance.
I don't know if that can be useful for some people today, but the link is "hidden" here since many years ago :
http://totoonthemoon.free.fr/dev/aw++/

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Sun May 22, 2011 9:41 am

As far as remember allegro was ported to DOS, using VGA and VESA standards while SDL was quickly directed to windows and directX stuff, i guess it's why allegro was abandonned :-/