Graphical User Interface

AamirM's Regen forum

Moderator: AamirM

Patrick
Interested

Graphical User Interface

Post by Patrick » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:49 am

why Genesis emulators don't have a menu like Magic Engine emulator from PC engine?, i like this system with previews like MAME. XD

All emulators from Mega Drive run in a simple window.

Thanks by the work ;)

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:10 am

You like this, I don't, so what? It is large amount of additional work, and not everyone like this.

There are a lot of multi-emulator front-ends, so you can have similar interface with almost any emulator.

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:38 am

I personally dislike such preview+list setups...
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

Flygon
Very interested

Post by Flygon » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:24 am

TmEE co.(TM) wrote:I personally dislike such preview+list setups...
I'm highly inclined to agree with this statement.

I'd rather have something direct to the point rather than having to muddle around with pointless gimmickry.

A GUI is nice, but you can overdo it.

Patrick
Interested

Post by Patrick » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:18 am

I Think the emulators from MegaDrive are not atractive for the new gen like Zsnes, Mame, ...maybe something that remember console, like nostalgic Mekaw from Master System.

I Don't see any problem with this... forget XD

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:36 am

What attractive you've found in fixed-resolution 640x480 interface of Magic Engine, or in very badly-cut images with plain bad color scheme (red-black!) on the first screenshoot, or in blurry and very low-res (difficult to read) interface of ZSNES? They looks just bad on the modern displays.

Interfaces like these were popular back in MS-DOS days, when there was no other option, except for command-line. Today the custom interfaces makes no sense on PC, and just make everything more difficult.

Anyway, again, if you like this, there are front-ends. Use them if you want. This functionality should not be built-in part of the emulators, it should be external (as in case with the front-ends).

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:12 pm

I Think the emulators from MegaDrive are not atractive for the new gen like Zsnes, Mame, ...maybe something that remember console, like nostalgic Mekaw from Master System.
Maybe this is what you want ;).

Anyways, I had been working on rewriting the GUI in Qt so that it is available for Windows, Linux and Mac OSX at the same time.

But since I've revivied the work I've been doing on something else, work on both the GUI and Regen hasn't been going on for some time now.

Just thought I'd give an update :D.

Dunard

Post by Dunard » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:22 am

I wish someone make a new Neo Geo Pocket emulator. I hated MESS isn't letting me save on Dark Arms - Beast Buster 1999. There no save game support. :roll:

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:41 am

Wait, why are you posing this here? :D

Anyways, I suggest you try the emulator mednafen. It has Neogeo pocket emulation and most probably has save game support too.

Dunard

Post by Dunard » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:55 am

Sorry. Anyway I don't use Mednafen. I already have Regen, bsnes, Nestopia and Turbo Engine 16. I don't need another one that does the same thing.

I heard that have many bugs in it.

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:58 am

But neither of them emulate the Neogeo pocket :D.

Also, what bugs are you talking about? I am sure the developer of mednafen would like to hear them out.

Dunard

Post by Dunard » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:02 am

Hell I can't get it to run on my Windows 7. Is this a DOS program?

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:11 am

No, its a command line driven program. You need to use command line. For simplicity, drag-drop your NGP ROM over to the mednafen.exe file. That should do it.

Also, for more help and suggestions you can go to its own forum board. You will get a lot more help there than here :D.

Dunard

Post by Dunard » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:26 am

I think I like this better than MESS. Thanks.