Games for porting to SMD

Talk about anything else you want

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:29 pm

Try to decompile any game by yourself, and you'll understand what's the problem. It is by itself very difficult and boring task, and in case with DOS/C64 you also have to recode everything to very different CPU and very different hardware. It is much easier to 'remake' instead of 'port' in this case.

TheMVRules
Interested

Post by TheMVRules » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:36 pm

[quote="sheath"]I'd vote for the original Dos Silpheed

That game was already ported to the Mega CD.

sheath
Very interested

Post by sheath » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:07 pm

Sega CD Silpheed might as well be a totally different game. From what I can tell even the enemy placements are different than the original Silpheed. I recommended the DOS version for two reasons. We would be able to see how much was actually in common between the two versions. I would be able to play the DOS version without having to screw with compatibility issues. ;)

TheMVRules
Interested

Post by TheMVRules » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:08 pm

sheath wrote:Sega CD Silpheed might as well be a totally different game. From what I can tell even the enemy placements are different than the original Silpheed. I recommended the DOS version for two reasons. We would be able to see how much was actually in common between the two versions. I would be able to play the DOS version without having to screw with compatibility issues. ;)
It would not work on the Genesis anyway since of it uses sprite scaling and 3d backgrounds (FMV on SegaCD), and even if some guy did it, it would run in maybe 5-10 fps.

sheath
Very interested

Post by sheath » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:49 pm

The PC version just has 2D backgrounds, the FMV was added to the Sega CD. Also, I think the polygonal ships in both versions are all animated sprites, not scaled or real time generated polygons.

PC Version Vid

SteveMartin
Interested

Post by SteveMartin » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:25 am

I wish I noticed this topic sooner :!: Especially since it started with my quote and all :lol: It may be a bit late now, but I may as well share what I had in mind since I'm assuming shiru hasn't found anything yet that interests him.

Well, at the moment I can't think of any open source games that seem like they'd fit on the Genesis. But I noticed you said game maker games, and there is one guy that makes games that I've always imagined on the Genesis:

http://www.origamihero.com/gamepage.php

A Game With a Kitty would be nice, especially since the guy created it with a Genesis platformer in mind according to the description. Star Girl or Darkside Adventures would be cool too, though Darkside I think might have things a bit more advanced than a Genesis can do.

In any case, if you don't think they're worth it they're worth at least sharing since this guy is one of my favorite indie devers out there. Of course, the most obvious thing that goes against your criteria is none of these are open source. But I like to think if you asked, the creator might share that with you. Especially A Game With A Kitty, since you'd be accomplishing what he had in mind to begin with :)

I'll try to think up examples of open source games that are simple enough, since I really like the idea of porting things. I'm trying to port something myself at the moment, though as a beginner it's very tough, but that's expected. Anyways, I'm glad you considered it for awhile, hope you're still interested!

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:43 am

Actually I've started other port (or remake, the source is not portable and not open), but it is on hold since last Spring.

Games you've linked looks nice, and seems playable, but possibility of porting depends from the original author - if he allow it and will provide the source, and from the source too - if it is easy to port (game logic part). I wouldn't want to get to 'remake' type of project again.