MDEM's First

Announce (tech) demos or games releases

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

Shiru
Very interested

MDEM's First

Post by Shiru » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:35 am

Noticed this on youtube, wonder why it is not mentioned here - a recent demo for SMD, MDEM's First.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:11 am

Yeah, I saw that posted elsewhere, like SEGA-16 and SonicRetro. I guess Oerg866 doesn't have an account here.

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:12 am

This demo also is doing something funny, and it causes it on fail on certain MD2 models. My V0 MD2 with 315-5476 goes crazy on the 3D part, while my Nomad does not. I have not tried with other MD2s. Other people report the problem too.
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:42 am

I think Jorge is one of our members ....

and since SpritesMind is on the greeting part (thanks!) , I assume they know this forum ;)

Hey guys! tell us how fun it was to made this demo ! :)

Flygon
Very interested

Post by Flygon » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:14 am

TmEE co.(TM) wrote:This demo also is doing something funny, and it causes it on fail on certain MD2 models. My V0 MD2 with 315-5476 goes crazy on the 3D part, while my Nomad does not. I have not tried with other MD2s. Other people report the problem too.
Which 3D part are we talking about here? The stars or the line segments? My MD2 would flip out half the time on the line segments (otherwise, work perfectly... I don't know why).

About the video upload, I'm sorry about getting the sync wrong, but I was forced to get a dump from Kega Fusion since Regen decided to say "Screw you, I'm malfunctioning". Otherwise, it'd probably sync perfectly, assuming Regen would feel like syncing well with the hardware. The ending segment also doesn't look correct (if you watch it on hardware, it'll be very easy to pick up what I mean), but in this case, looking incorrect isn't detrimental to the graphics quality of this video. :P

Either way, I quite love the music in this demo! :D

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:27 am

Jorge is one of our members, and 3D as in line segments
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

Jorge Nuno
Very interested

Post by Jorge Nuno » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:12 pm

Oh hi! Yes that was me.

Im sorry for not posting this here, but I forgot SM had an entire section dedicated for demos... -___-

*hides*

As for the revision glitch I dunno. I ran it on my GenIII ang MD1 and they both run fine but with a difference:
My GenIII doesnt suffer from the 2-Cell VScrolling bug that can be seen in straight line zone. I had to mask it with sprites on the translucent MDEM logo because it looked really nasty:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsW8i7zsY8w

This demo was built from my older program I made in 2006, with tons of extra stuff of course. Theres also some code from Tiido's lib that Oerg carried over, like LoadTiles/Palette/DisplayTiles, even though I had better things for that like DMA queues, etc
Last edited by Jorge Nuno on Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oerg866
Very interested

Post by Oerg866 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:13 pm

Chilly Willy wrote:Yeah, I saw that posted elsewhere, like SEGA-16 and SonicRetro. I guess Oerg866 doesn't have an account here.
You're wrong, kind sir :)
I think Jorge is one of our members ....
So am I... hi ;)
and since SpritesMind is on the greeting part (thanks!) , I assume they know this forum
we do, and yes, this forum rocks :P
Hey guys! tell us how fun it was to made this demo ! Smile
It was pretty fun, especially the week before the event. nonstop skype, working 18 hours a day on it, talking to jorge all the time via skype,yeah it was good fun. I think my programming knowledge has expanded by a factor of over nine thousand since we started to do the demo in december 2010 :)

Also we did the demo using MoonEdit and a custom data file upload/download/sync system I programmed :p
Hey guys! tell us how fun it was to made this demo !
Thanks ;)
This demo also is doing something funny, and it causes it on fail on certain MD2 models. My V0 MD2 with 315-5476 goes crazy on the 3D part, while my Nomad does not. I have not tried with other MD2s. Other people report the problem too.
Another proof that the MD2 sucks :p Jorge's MD3 doesn't have this problem neither do all model 1 models.
This demo was built from my older program I made in 2006, with tons of extra stuff of course. Theres also some code from Tiido's lib that Oerg carried over, like LoadTiles/Palette/DisplayTiles, even though I had better things for that like DMA queues, etc
LoadTiles was deleted as was LoadPalette. I did use your DMA stuffs later except PutTiles (which is the only thing carried from TMEGALIB and is for generating pattern data on the fly).

Cheers to all!
Eric

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:55 pm

Oerg866 wrote:
Chilly Willy wrote:Yeah, I saw that posted elsewhere, like SEGA-16 and SonicRetro. I guess Oerg866 doesn't have an account here.
You're wrong, kind sir :)
I guess I am! :lol:

It was pretty fun, especially the week before the event. nonstop skype, working 18 hours a day on it, talking to jorge all the time via skype,yeah it was good fun. I think my programming knowledge has expanded by a factor of over nine thousand since we started to do the demo in december 2010 :)

Also we did the demo using MoonEdit and a custom data file upload/download/sync system I programmed :p
Another proof that the MD2 sucks :p Jorge's MD3 doesn't have this problem neither do all model 1 models.
Very weird... I wonder what the problem there is. I've got a model 2, a CDX, and a Nomad.

Eke
Very interested

Post by Eke » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:25 am

Jorge Nuno wrote: My GenIII doesnt suffer from the 2-Cell VScrolling bug that can be seen in straight line zone. I had to mask it with sprites on the translucent MDEM logo because it looked really nasty:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsW8i7zsY8w
This thing was discussed here, it has to do with the way horizontal scrolling is handled when 2-cell vertical scrolling is used (41 patterns are indeed rendered, with the first and last ones being only partially visible, but there are only 40 entries in VSRAM). Interesting to know that this was modified in the Genesis 3 ASIC, there might be other differences in the later VDP implementations, who knows...

I didn't had any problem with the 3D part on my MD2, only issues I had were with Everdrive flashing that somehow corrupted the ROM and made the demo either lock from this part or indeed display incorrectly. Padding the ROM to a more common size and updating the flashcart OS solved the issue.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:27 am

Can't run it on either my MD2 or CDX because it only works in "FUCKIN PAL MODE" according to the rom. Thank goodness Tiido did the 50/60 Hz mod to my Nomad.

The Nomad also shows the line glitches... and curiously, the MDEM2011 characters on the white background right before the FMV don't show either.

tinctu
Very interested

Post by tinctu » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:18 am

Nice demo! I think SEGA MD/GENNY is good demoplatform. Something between C64/ATARI ST and AMIGA500. We have flashcarts now...
I can do pixelart (logos, pictures) and fm chipmusic if someone will be interested to do demos with me... I am no coder.