I can't wait to see the tubes flooding ^^ :D

well done :)

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:39 pm

Pretty cool :D
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

8bitwizard
Very interested

Post by 8bitwizard » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:23 am

They won't flood, it's not that kind of game. (And it would be a pain to do without lots of tile management-fu.) It's more like a Columns type of game. You make fully capped groups to score points. The bigger the group, the more points. The bombs are to let you clean out tiles that will never match up.

My attempt at an Atari 7800 version failed mostly because there just wasn't enough CPU time left (any kind of decent graphics on the 7800 beyond sprites with a single-color background sucks up bus bandwidth), so I never got as far as figuring out how to make it challenging. I even had the falling tiles (after explosions) drop one row at a time in multiple frames because of insufficient CPU cycles. By that I mean I checked the bottom row of tiles in one frame, then the second row of tiles, etc.

But a few people were having fun just matching stuff up, so that's why I want to move ahead with it. Oh yeah, and the other reason I gave up on it was because I really hate writing 6502 code. I started on a TRS-80, and after a brief stint with the CoCo, went straight to Macintosh, so I'm a Z80/6809/68000/ARM assembly programmer and therefore way too spoiled for 6502.

The main ideas I have for different levels are changing the endcaps along the sides (right now all are present just for looks), changing the drop speed, and changing the tile mix. I already know from the 7800 version that all endcaps on all edges is way too easy. Levels will probably change after a certain number of tiles have dropped or a certain number of tiles have been grouped. I'll also change the palette between levels, and add a background image for each game board using the B plane graphics.