Sonic The Hedgehog Open Source Project

Announce (tech) demos or games releases

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

OuricoDoido

Sonic The Hedgehog Open Source Project

Post by OuricoDoido » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:06 pm

Sonic The Hedgehog Open Source Project (STHOSP) is a ROM hack of Sonic 1 for Sega Mega Drive with open source code that I've done, the hack has several new features in relation the original game:

- Now each level has four acts
- Each levels have new design
- You can play with the Sonic or with the Tails, each with their own skills
- The transformations of Super and Hyper is accessible for both characters
- Monitors 'S' and monitors Eggman reprogrammed, now monitors Eggman cause damages and monitors 'S' transforms the character in Hyper and add 50 rings
- Mode "ITEM S ONLY", where all monitors become monitors of the type 'S'
- New songs, including one for each boss, act and special stage
- Sound driver for PCM musics, single music of the game in PCM is the number B7 in the sound test, Canterbury Plains of Top Gear 2
- Time Attack edited only for levels
- Support for SRAM, which allows save the game and the Time Attack
- Different palettes
- Some menus of the Sonic 2
- The rings counter is not reset between acts
- Original Mode with levels and músics of Sonic 1
- Removed the spike bug (bug that makes the Sonic, with invulnerability, die if do not have rings or lose rings if have, when is struck by a spike)
- In the question of dynamic of fluids was added to Hack the Sonic Boom and Super Cavitation

Skills for both characters

Jump - The character jumps normally
Spindash - Impulse that the character leaves Rolling
Slow Spindash - Same as Spindash but slowly
Spin Boost - Spindash snapshot with the same speed of Slow Spindash
Rolling the Sonic/Tails is in foot - When is rolling, the character will in foot instantly

Sonic's Skills

Infinite Jump - Extra jump upward (-2 rings)
Jump Down - Extra jump downward (-1 rings)
Homing Attack - Extra jump toward the enemy
JumpDash - A impulse in air, playing Sonic forward
JumpDash Angle - Same as JumpDash, but in any direction
Chrono Attack - Stop the Time and add 20 seconds when it finishes executing the skill
Super Peelout - A impulse faster than Spindash where Sonic rushes, but tends to expect, less if is Super or Hyper, how much longer you wait, more faster Sonic will run
Shoryuken - Jump with a trail of fire in the hand of the Sonic

Tails' Skills

Tails Fly - Flight Upward
Tails Fly Down - Flight downward
Swim Tails - Swim upward
Swim Tails Down - Swim downward

Below the main changes in version 0.06 for the 0.07:

- Added the Super Cavitation and the Sonic Boom
- Added the act 4 for each zone, except for the Scrap Brain and the Labyrinth (Labyrinth already have a 4th act)
- Tails can swim now
- Modified the main menu
- Imported from Sonic 2, Menu Options, the Result Screen and stars of Super Sonic
- Fixed several bugs

Images of the Rom Hack

Title Screen

Sonic turning into Super

Sonic making the Super Peelout

Sonic using the Chrono Attack

Super Sonic breaking the sound barrier

Sonic doing Shoryuken

Tails Super Cavitating

Menu Options

Level Select

Result Screen

Magic Forest 1 Gameplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rITVAv-Z2wM

How to compile
To build the ROM run the build.bat which is in the folder SOURCE CODE.

Download

STHOSP - 0.04A
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jxy2tmuy1xj/STHOSP.rar

STHOSP - 0.05
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zqay3mgzyiw

STHOSP - 0.06
http://www.mediafire.com/?jcd5dzw2cgg

STHOSP - 0.07
http://www.mediafire.com/?g5qzzal28prf2dd

Alan
Interested

Post by Alan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:30 pm

Looks very nice, will be sure to give it a go soon.

Also should you not already be a member I recommend you also post this over at Sonic Retro.
Should easily get you the tech level membership there.

Regards.

tails92
Interested

Post by tails92 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:11 pm

I like the idea of an "open source" hack, now if there were a Sonic engine in C which is open source and comparable to the original games (open sonic doesn't count - it feels "off")...

Sonic Retro actually has interesting information, but the site has an elitist attitude which most probably won't tolerate an "open source" project and you will deal with all sorts of small kids who think they're geniuses for tweaking an asm instruction. Moreover, recently the site is collaborating so much with Sega, that one can wonder whether it's an independent research place or simply an advertisement puppet. In case you don't already know, don't bother with it.
It is not a friendly and independent resource like SpritesMind is, I was a member there (tech member even) so I know how it works.

I have not played your hack yet, but the palette in the marble zone seems a bit too red, you may want to fix that.

LocalH
Very interested

Post by LocalH » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:13 pm

tails92 wrote:Sonic Retro actually has interesting information, but the site has an elitist attitude which most probably won't tolerate an "open source" project
Nonsense, there have been plenty of projects with source available.
and you will deal with all sorts of small kids who think they're geniuses for tweaking an asm instruction.
Touche, but there are also loads of talented developers and artists, and SHOCK! some of them even visit here too!
Moreover, recently the site is collaborating so much with Sega, that one can wonder whether it's an independent research place or simply an advertisement puppet. In case you don't already know, don't bother with it.
Horseshit - I have never seen anything to suggest that Retro is an "advertisement puppet". It's as independent as any other development/game hacking community. Sure, SEGA has "finally" started communicating with them more directly, but many of us had predicted this would happen some day. This has not seemed to stop the pace of MD development (whether on original stuff or on hacks), and I doubt it will - if SEGA wanted anything like that taken down, it would either already have been taken down, or the communication with SEGA would not be happening.
It is not a friendly and independent resource like SpritesMind is, I was a member there (tech member even) so I know how it works.
And I used to run the place (and its predecessor, S2B after Simon left), so I know how it works too. Once again, many people here (but not all, afaik) are also members at Retro, no matter the frequency (or lack thereof) of posts. Quit trying to turn people away from a community and let them come to their own decision.

tails92
Interested

Post by tails92 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:53 pm

Some of the things which you say have a bit of truth - like the fact that some projects have had their sources released or that there are some talented developer and artists. But I wouldn't say Retro is generally like that. When people (and one of the admins, especially) go to the length of making innuendos about "leaked" source code for their hacks, of source they do not have the right to use either, just because they think that open source is only good for leechers who want to copy, you can't say they're supportive of open source, etc. It's obvious that this site has many members who visit Retro as well (I still do!) but not because they're Retro members per se - just because they have interests which happen to be in Retro's supposed audience as well.
An hacking site should not communicate with SEGA or the other way around - leave that to SEGA-related news sites, they do a better job at that. Hacking has to stay totally independent of the producer of the hacked software, otherwise it loses its charm and starts getting full of interests (which is against the "hacker" culture itself). I'm not trying to quit anyone from Retro - just giving my opinion - while it surely has its nice things I don't think it's good to spend time for it. And this time, I think I had to answer. Let's stop this, anyway, it would not be good for this topic to be derailed with a discussion about this.

LocalH
Very interested

Post by LocalH » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:59 pm

tails92 wrote:When people (and one of the admins, especially) go to the length of making innuendos about "leaked" source code for their hacks, of source they do not have the right to use either, just because they think that open source is only good for leechers who want to copy, you can't say they're supportive of open source, etc.
In fairness, the hacks that this happened to do have tons of custom code, rather than being the S1 disassembly with two changed opcodes, for example. And, regardless of the overall site's average viewpoint, it remains that anyone who substantially modifies the game source code does have the right to control the source to those modifications, so yeah, not every project will be open source. They certainly wouldn't be against an open source hack, however.
It's obvious that this site has many members who visit Retro as well (I still do!) but not because they're Retro members per se - just because they have interests which happen to be in Retro's supposed audience as well.
People have come here from Retro (myself, for example) rather than the other way around.
An hacking site should not communicate with SEGA or the other way around - leave that to SEGA-related news sites, they do a better job at that. Hacking has to stay totally independent of the producer of the hacked software, otherwise it loses its charm and starts getting full of interests (which is against the "hacker" culture itself).
As long as it doesn't hamper the hacking of classic games to be communicating with them regarding their newer IP, I couldn't care less.
I'm not trying to quit anyone from Retro - just giving my opinion - while it surely has its nice things I don't think it's good to spend time for it. And this time, I think I had to answer. Let's stop this, anyway, it would not be good for this topic to be derailed with a discussion about this.
Agreed. We don't have to 100% agree with each other, as long as we understand each others' points, and I do believe in this case we have done so. I will continue this no further as well.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:50 pm

The "problem" with Sonic Retro is that it's BIG. REALLY BIG. In every group of people, there are going to be a few "bad apples" who live just to make everyone else wish for their horribly painful death... on YouTube if possible. Most of Sonic Retro is very nice and I enjoy going there. But a few of the people there wind up banned on a regular basis, or make you wish they were.

SpritesMind is small... very small. It's mostly a place where a few devs who happen to work on the MD hang out. We like it small because it keeps the board manageable. We don't (or only rarely) have people who make you think of converting to Satanism just so you can cast real curses.

Sounds like you just can't deal with the kinds of people a large board attracts. If so, that's fine... just stick to smaller boards and we'll treat you right. It doesn't mean that Sonic Retro is the source of all evil - just, not for you. You might try checking out Sega-16 instead. It's much bigger than SpritesMind, but not nearly as big as Sonic Retro.

Flygon
Very interested

Post by Flygon » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:54 am

Just for the record, I do feel that I have to also state that the Sonic Retro hate is sort of overblown.

Sure, the site may have been very elitist in the past (I remember trying to register back in the days of SWS2B... fuuuuuun), but the attitude seems to have improved over time.

Ironically, I just grew tired of being interested in Sonic hacking because of the fact that I couldn't really ever hope to hold a candle to it. I have a really irrational fear of people that can do creative works better than me... that, and, you know, it's hard to make a truly good Sonic hack standalone. I should pick up the Somari conversion for Sonic I was doing again someday. :P
Due to this, I also can't say too much for Sonic Retro's hacking scene past early-2009, I sort of lost interest... Shining Force was much funner to hack! :D

Just to add some more fire to the pile, I'm pretty sure I came here from Sonic Retro also (Or Sega-16... I can't remember which).

Anyway, my point is, I feel that this anti-Sonic Retro sentiment is a bit silly. Whether he wants to post his hack onto there or not is entirely his choice, I feel that bringing personal opinion into it is a bit silly. Besides, it's always worth advertising to other places.

Sorry if this post is a bit of a mess... I'm not really good at trying to make this sort of post. That, and, ironically I'm afraid to post here... you're all very close knit and know each other personally. :oops:

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:06 pm

Some really good recent hacks:

Sonic 1 & 2 - Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 hacked together into a single game... kind of like Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Amy in Sonic 1 - Sonic replaced by Amy in Sonic 1... it's really fun, and the Amy sprites are just adorable. :D

Amy in Sonic 2 - same thing by the same guy, but for Sonic 2.

Sonic Customizable - meant to be more originally, but comes down to just Amy in Sonic 3 (not by the guy who did Amy in Sonic 1/2).

Sonic Boom - a REALLY fast new Sonic game. You have to watch a YouTube to appreciate it.

Sally Acorn in Sonic 1 - like Amy in Sonic 1, but it's Sally.

Sonic 2 XL - funniest hack EVER! When you "eat" rings, Sonic gets fat. Run yourself slim or you'll slow down or even die from overeating. :D

Sonic: The One Ring - very interesting hack - there's only one ring in a stage, and you have to find it before you can exit the stage. Really - if you go to the end of the stage without the ring, you won't exit. Since you have no rings most of the time, you have to be a lot more careful going through the stage.