Wolf32X - now at alpha 4!

Announce (tech) demos or games releases

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

Fonzie
Genny lover

Post by Fonzie » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:31 pm

I checked, megacart.exe should support 30 & 31 meg roms :P PM sent with latest update, mr MIC :)

That's a great project btw, looking from the corner of my jail.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:57 am

mic_ wrote:The volume is ok (only tried it with headphones in Fusion, my Megacart does indeed not allow larger ROMs than 24Mbit). All the effects sounds like noise though.. the gunshot is ok, but the soldiers' shouts and the sound of opening a door or picking up ammo are really noisy, and you wouldn't recognize them as the original sound effects from the game.
Well, the door opening/closing sounds about right (compared to the same sound on the PSP), but you're right about the shouting... it's almost noise. I'm looking into that. There are still some endian issues in the sound that no one caught because they aren't doing this on a big-endian system. I've already found several spots in the sound code where I had to add platform dependent byte swapping.

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:37 am

Bad news, the alpha 4 is VERY slow on real HW, around 1 or less FPS D:
Sound is present at least, very skippy (as things are tooooo slow...).
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:06 am

TmEE co.(TM) wrote:Bad news, the alpha 4 is VERY slow on real HW, around 1 or less FPS D:
Sound is present at least, very skippy (as things are tooooo slow...).
I thought it might do that... not to mention it still has the memory allocator issue. I'm redoing the game to get rid of the allocator altogether. Then once I get my MD-Pro in I can work on that issue with the speed. I have a guess on what it is, but it makes no sense right now to fix that when I still have a big memory problem. :?

ob1
Very interested

Post by ob1 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:04 pm

Chilly, just to let us know, what framerate do you achieve on emulators ?

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:32 pm

ob1 wrote:Chilly, just to let us know, what framerate do you achieve on emulators ?
It doesn't have a FPS system in it, but from experience, it ranges from about 6-10 FPS at full viewsize (320 wide) to 60 FPS at minimum viewsize (160 wide). I figure that on a real 32X, you would probably see 30 FPS at the minimum instead as the emus probably don't accurately account for the time writing the framebuffer. On the emulator, it's completely playable on the (now) default viewsize of 256 wide. While a lot of us old-timers would call 6 FPS playable (that's all you got on most old games), modern kiddies tend to call anything less than 30 FPS unplayable. :lol:

I was screwing with the caches in alpha 4 as part of the audio, which is why it's as slow as it is. I'll be doing something different for the next release.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:44 am

I'm really aggravated right now - I've got two main problems. The first is that Kega and real 6 button joypads are apparently VERY picky about how you read them. Neither work with my routine while Gens/GS does. I never had this much trouble reading SEGA 6 button sticks on the Amiga.

The other is that even with a major rewrite, I STILL only get the door open and close sounds... all the others are hosed for some reason. :x

Oh well, I'll let it sit for a while and see if inspiration strikes.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the rewrite is considerably smaller - about 1 MB smaller, so the next release will work on the MegaCart. :D