Space blasting - now with ROM download 8)

Announce (tech) demos or games releases

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

vnsbr
Interested

Space blasting - now with ROM download 8)

Post by vnsbr » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:00 pm

Updated with last version
----------------

Video https://youtu.be/xo_TFdhD2dQ

It is a little side project I started earlier this week. Thwre is a lot of things missing yet but maybe the code can help someone. Some of the management code is from djcouchy with some hacks on it :?

I mainly concerned about perfomance now. Some things I think could be optmized:

1) do the scrolling directly on DMA or setmapex.

2) Im drawing both hud and background using drawimageex. But i only need 64 pixels for Hud and 256 for stage background. I dont know how to set the planes to be smaller and still not wrap around

3) plan window usage. Can be useful for hud but couldnt get it to work.

Sprites are from a mobile game made by me and ansimuz (enemies and background)
Attachments
spaceBlasting23022019.zip
(123.97 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
Last edited by vnsbr on Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Re: Space blasting - very alpha + source

Post by Chilly Willy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:43 pm

Nice start. I'd suggest making the angled shots angled rather than vertical to see if that looks better.

vnsbr
Interested

Post by vnsbr » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:01 pm

Chilly Willy wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:43 pm
Nice start. I'd suggest making the angled shots angled rather than vertical to see if that looks better.
Thanks, i didnt know that it made so much difference. At least it was not so perceptive for me. Ill keep in mind that :D

Edit: i made it that way so i could reuse the same object from the pool. But now rewatching i can see that it is really strange

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:36 am

Not saying making them slanted will look better, but it's at least worth checking. I'd think they would, but you never really know until you try it.

vnsbr
Interested

Post by vnsbr » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:00 am

Update the first topic with the lastest version. First stage is finished.

Controls:
Directionals to move the ship
A - main fire
B - secondary fire when your special bar(blue bar) is filled

There is 2 kinds of power up for your weapon, and both max at level 3. But if you get a different powerup than your current weapon, your level gets reset to 1.

Have fun :)

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Re: Space blasting - now with ROM download 8)

Post by Chilly Willy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:40 pm

Not bad! It'll be interesting when you get some music, but the sound works fine. One issue I've noticed: the screen changes sometimes don't work, either at all, or only partially. Example - the title screen always comes up and seems fine, but many times, when I start the game, the game screen is completely black. If it works, so far it's worked fine, but then when the game is over, the game over screen often is black, or sometimes really washed out, like it's only four colors.

Also, is the stage start supposed to keep flying sideways until you press A a second time? I've let it sit a LONG time, but it simply keeps going sideways until I press A a second time.

EDIT: Yeah, it seems like the game over palette is randomly set. I get different colors every time.

vnsbr
Interested

Post by vnsbr » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:23 pm

Wow that seems a lot of issues. Where are you testing it?
Also, is the stage start supposed to keep flying sideways until you press A a second time?
After you leave title, there is a introductory screen. Yes, you have to tap A when you are ready. I should put a time limit there
EDIT: Yeah, it seems like the game over palette is randomly set. I get different colors every time.
I didnt get this problem. I have tested with genskdebug, kfusion and blastem. It acts strange on retrogen android emulator though. That is a pity you have so many problems.
My routine for stage cleaning should not be enough.

Basically I do this on each scene:
SYS_disableInts();
SPR_reset();
SPR_clear();
VDP_clearPlan(PLAN_A, 0);
VDP_clearPlan(PLAN_B, 0);
VDP_setHorizontalScroll(PLAN_A, 0);
VDP_setHorizontalScroll(PLAN_B, 0);
VDP_fadeOutAll(8, 0)
Not everywhere i am setting all palettes. That might be an issue. Or the way i am using SPR_Init().

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:07 pm

I test using my Genesis Model 2/CD Model 2/32X, a CDX, and a Nomad. They all show the same behavior. While I do tend to do quick checks while developing using emulators, I always do my main testing on real hardware for just this reason. Emulators very often skip details due to lack of info, or for speed reasons, and hence will run code just fine that may not work at all on real hardware. If you have a MD and a flash cart, I'd suggest using it more. If you don't, use the most accurate emulator you can, and reach out to those of us here at SpritesMind with hardware to test on.

Oh, I also have a couple AtGames FireCore clones that I sometimes check things on as well. I got a couple of their handhelds several years back, along with their SD card cart.

vnsbr
Interested

Post by vnsbr » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:42 pm

I dont have the real hardware. Here in brazil they are selling a "new" version that you can put a sdcard, but Id rather have the real thing. My biggest concern is the everdrive though, since it can get ages to be shipped here. I do have a friend with the console+everdrive but it is hard to know what has broken when there is a lot of code between one release and the other.

Thanks for testing :D

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:15 pm

No problem. I like helping folk making homebrew. Whether it's testing or providing snippets of code or just advice, any bit may help get yet another game out for many more to enjoy.