Adventure of Lolo

Announce (tech) demos or games releases

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

Staffan
Very interested

Adventure of Lolo

Post by Staffan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:30 am

I have a five level demo available. Its yet completly silent. I would really like to see some feedback as to if you understand what to do in this game, without instructions. How far can you get in my demo, if the only thing I tell you is that you have to collect all the hearts, the Treasure and then head for exit?

Is it fun?

The project is in danger of not being continued though.
I Had a vision when I started this project to port Amiga games to Genesis because most people have enough time to start a Genesis emulator but fewer have the time to setup an Amiga emulator.

Because if you live in a normal boring town with a mortage and cannot quit your daily job to make games, how do you get people to play your hobby game, when there are so many good hobby projects theese days?

Making a new game takes so much time and is so hard that its hardly a hobby. In order for it to be good you have to put together graphics and art and stuff, so therefore my hobby was bound to be to an old console. This also solves the compatibility problem, as a Genesis emulator is something that most system have.

But no kid will ever play any game made here, only other 35-year old nerds. I therefore started to think about how to get another 35-year old nerd to play my hobby project. Giving them away for free is not enough, because they mostly play old games for nostalgic reasons and there are 10000 free games with a classic touch. I therefore thought that I if I started to port old amiga games that theese people recognised, then maybe a few would play my games. (My first game is an old nes game, hope this doesnt confuse you :), cause it was a good game to start with) Sure there are a few collectors that might buy a new genesis game but they are really few and might not even play it.

I was planning to just release the rom on the Internet and se it pop ut from place to place. However having googled for copyright laws, I now see that I can get sued even if its a dead console, and even if its given away for free as a hobby project. In order for me to continue, I HAVE TO SOLVE THE LEGAL ISSUES. I have two kids, and the should not grow up poor because their father have a nerdy hobby. I can change the character name to Lollo from lolo and so on, but then I like totally miss my audience.

The same goes for all other planned games. I have known this for some time, but I thought a at least should release the Demo and see if anyone have any great ideas how to solve this.

I really thought I should get away with the game beeing free and not have to think about legal issues.

/Staffan
Attachments
out.rar
(56.87 KiB) Downloaded 841 times

SegaTim
Very interested

Re: Adventure of Lolo

Post by SegaTim » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:42 pm

This project has no prospects. Deadborn, unfortunately. People want Doom, Contra, Castlevania clones and cool games with super-buper 16 bit graphics. =(
To do only for itself. And 5-10 SMD fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsPtZ8IA4Bc
Last edited by SegaTim on Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Staffan
Very interested

Post by Staffan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:27 pm

Yeah I kind of know...

However I thought that if I could make a better version of an existing game, some people would play it.

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:23 pm

Very cute, i like it :) Keep up the nice work ;)

ob1
Very interested

Post by ob1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:02 pm

SegaTim wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:42 pm
To do only for itself. And 5-10 SMD fans.
Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels...

Mills
Interested

Post by Mills » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:35 pm

Cute, I love it, did you program the collision engine?

Staffan
Very interested

Post by Staffan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:31 am

Yes I did. Dont know if sgdk had on itself but I did. It was alirrle easier than a normal game though because the character can only move 12 pixels at the time.

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:20 am

you always has to start somewhere.

To port an existing game is a good one, I think.
Why ? because you haven't to deal with game design, art and sound, only game engine.
When you'll be happy with your 1st game engine, you'll be able to start a new one from scratch, with all the bugs and problems you met in mind.
It's called "experience" and, on retro development, it's something you can't learn from book nor talking with your co-workers.

So be proud of Lolo, finish it (VERY important), don't expect a "huge" success and move on next one.
Can't wait for your 4th one ;)

slobu
Very interested

Post by slobu » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:19 pm

The market may be big enough if you self publish the game like I do. Also, *completely* remove any "Lolo" art, music, assets etc.. Make this your own.

If you can't handle self publishing then I can help you with that. Send me a message when you're ready.

Staffan
Very interested

Post by Staffan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:20 am

Thanks, but I never had the intention of releaseing a cartidge. I would like to se my rom float around the web.

I can remove any pokemon sprites. I cannot remove The Lolo name, because then I miss the target audience (35-year olds that played this before).

When I started this i Didnt think anyone would care if it was just a hobby project, but after googling I now know you cannot be sure, so thats the biggest threat to the game.

Im sure I can get some emulator site to link my game.

dink
Interested

Post by dink » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:04 pm

Of course, if the game turns out to be good I'll throw it in FBAlpha's game list, which is exploding right now. A year or 2 ago there were like 3 youtube videos about fbalpha, now there are an uncountable amount. You'll get at least 35 more plays this way :)

slobu
Very interested

Post by slobu » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:37 pm

Staffan wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:20 am
Thanks, but I never had the intention of releaseing a cartidge. I would like to se my rom float around the web.

I can remove any pokemon sprites. I cannot remove The Lolo name, because then I miss the target audience (35-year olds that played this before).

When I started this i Didnt think anyone would care if it was just a hobby project, but after googling I now know you cannot be sure, so thats the biggest threat to the game.

Im sure I can get some emulator site to link my game.
Sorry, I read your original post and thought you wanted to make a little income off of this - or, at least not lose money due to legal fees. Even if you want to distribute a free ROM whoever owns the rights to "Adventures of Lolo" might come after you. Usually they pick the WORST time to c&d you as well. I think your target audience will still get it if you call it "Adventure of Lolz" and use similar sprites.

UPDATE: The next best thing is to research indie "Adventures of Lolo" clones and get the rights to that if you must have a branded version. For instance: Retroguru has a "The Great Giana Sisters" game which is a knock-off of Super Mario Brothers. They must have the blessing of Black Forest Games which currently owns the rights.

Miquel
Very interested

Post by Miquel » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:46 pm

Staffan wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:30 am
Is it fun?
Fun is a cultural factor, and that means that anything can be fun, no exception, if you give it the adecuate context.

I can't get pass the watter, but so far... I feel that the game needs to acompany more the player, explain more the situation (but I usually apreciate no words), give rewards and warnings, a way to restart the puzzle and a bit more of interaction. Really, I think the key is subtlely guide the player.
HELP. Spanish TVs are brain washing people to be hostile to me.

Staffan
Very interested

Post by Staffan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:29 pm

I would be grateful for 35 more plays!!! Thats whats its all about!

Make a ball of an enemy, push him into the water and ride to get pass.

I dont know if I can get the game to be more different, since its a port. Maybe instruction on every level in plan window.

Level design also have to be stolen... wonder if thats legal.

Miquel
Very interested

Post by Miquel » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:37 pm

If you are really interested you should find legal precedences. For all I know similitudes are acceptable, even very close ones, while cloning is not.

I don't think you should do the game any different but if you want it to be more likeable it's all about fine tuning it.
HELP. Spanish TVs are brain washing people to be hostile to me.