Catgirl Pool Party [Work in progress]

Announce (tech) demos or games releases

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

Sik
Very interested

Re: Catgirl Pool Party [Work in progress]

Post by Sik » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:34 pm

Miquel wrote:- What about getting state from physics status ?
Yeah that makes more sense.
Miquel wrote:- Do you really want me to tell you what I truly think ?
That I should be legally barred from programming? =P (I could have probably caused quite a few deaths if I programmed anything with serious use)
Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".

Miquel
Very interested

Post by Miquel » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:00 pm

Sik wrote:
Miquel wrote:- What about getting state from physics status ?
Yeah that makes more sense.
Yeah, there is no much sense in this conversation.
I was asking if you can give me an example of "I never store the current action and just figure out what's going on from the current physics".
HELP. Spanish TVs are brain washing people to be hostile to me.

Hik
Very interested

Post by Hik » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:25 pm

I've taken a bit of a break from coding while figuring some things out ,but I'm still working on this and I'm determined to make it a good game ,
at least so that I can have fun playing it and share it with like minded friends who might also like to play it.

Right now I'm working more on the art and concepts ,I sort of take turns switching between art ,code and music.
I've found some good musical influences for the music I'd like to put in the game and spent hours looking through
tfi instruments to find the ones that fit. I also have art influences for the graphics so I have a direction which
I follow to make it consistent. Its the vision of what kind of game it should ideally be ,given that I can follow
through on the ideas. The graphics are a part of that.

When it comes to game mechanics there's another factor which I'm focusing on which stems from the idea
of which games I liked to play on the Mega Drive. I played a bit of all the games I could to see which parts
I liked and looked into lots of different elements in the games I liked most. Then thought up ways to creatively
mix some of those elements into my game. These elements are a part of the direction. I liked the idea of
getting the most out of the game so the idea of using all the buttons with 8 directional shooting was at the
core of that. The pause menu also expands upon that giving more options to the player. Which is one of the
reasons why the menu was an important part to work on from the start as it could be an integral part of the game.

The game isn't only about catgirls but also other girls with animalistic features. Its about playing with water
and other things in a waterpark like setting. With ingame collectable shinies to buy from ingame stores which
might contain foodstuffs ,waterguns or other items depending on the type of store. There might be minigames
or challenges which could also give shinies or items as rewards. It should also have some exploration and puzzle
elements to it with ladders and water slides. Level areas which could be returned to also adds some depth to
the gameplay. Opening previously hidden or locked doors ,or getting rewards for finding or winning some item.
The characters could also be interacted with ,displaying text boxes.

The other animalistic girls might be storekeepers ,information center attendants or just randomly playing ,idling
or competing. I also had in mind that the game should be intuitive ,the player should have an easy time figuring
out things like the controls and what happens during gameplay. Which means it usually be apparent and easily
understood what each character is doing and what they're there for. As for the story its still sort of open ended.

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Post by djcouchycouch » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:53 pm

Nice! Keep going!

Hik
Very interested

Post by Hik » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:15 pm

I updated the demo again ;

Between this and the previous version I made some progress with fixing the ground collision
so now I can add nice things like curvy slopes.

I fixed the speed a bit and made some new graphics which you'll be seeing more of after I fix the
camera and level map loading. The water will eventually have different mobility physics and effects
like splashing. Right now ,its just there so you can see what it looks like. It might also get a small
bubble animation or scrolling to make it look better when I figure that out.

Hik
Very interested

Post by Hik » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:45 pm

I just added in the scrolling and camera and ajusted it so that it centers on the catgirl;
https://u.teknik.io/h1KPN.webm

Things that are on my todo list to work on next;
-Load in level off screen to make larger levels work
-Music and SFX
-Collisions for objects so the catgirl can collect things
-Display stuff like score/life meter

Later I'll see if I can get the catgirl to switch to empty handed or throwing water balloons
and NPC interaction when not holding anything (making the aim button an interact button).

Hik
Very interested

Post by Hik » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:32 pm

The bunnygirl is now blowing bubbles on the beach. The catgirl should be able to shoot the bubbles
and pop them for this weekend's challenge. I'm thinking of also adding a score counter to it.
This bubble shooting is mainly for adding collisions and maybe a raycasting line algorithm.

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Post by djcouchycouch » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:08 am

Very nice! Keep going!

Hik
Very interested

Post by Hik » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:30 pm

I just had some testers try out the demo again and got alerted to a heap of bugs. Some of them might be
hardware bugs because I haven't found all the bugs yet. The most visible bugs are the preloading tiles and
afterimages. I tried to implement fading but then the text for the menu disappears. There were also reset
bugs which happened when the game was soft reset. On real hardware ,its random noises and sprites getting stuck.
Edit: I fixed the soft reset bugs. Just had to make sure some flags weren't set at start.

I tested out a crude collision code to be able to shoot the bubbles. It didn't work very well so it might be
better to do it differently. The code also became a bit of a mess. Shooting the bubbles only seemed to work
when the catgirl was in the starting frame area of the screen and only when shooting left or right.

I made it so that when the bubbles got shot (collided) in the test they'd get reset and a score would increase;
https://u.teknik.io/SfkQm.webm

Here's the rom if anyone's interested ; https://www.dropbox.com/s/fc81uqrlabfgc ... t.bin?dl=1
Use start button to enable/disable the debug shooting aim dots.

Hik
Very interested

Post by Hik » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:14 pm

I'm rewriting a big portion of the code. Taking some time off to work on that.
Its slow progress. I'm also trying out some different things. I've worked on the art a bit
but still have some issues with the sound and music. I made a tileset with which I could
make many different looking structures from the same sort of theme.

I also made cover art but it's still unfinished. I like the look of what I have so far ,
so I decided to share it. Its actually bigger than this but I resized it so it would fit
better on here. The cover might still change but this gives an idea of what it might look like.

Hik
Very interested

Post by Hik » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:16 pm

I've fixed the code so that its tidy and easier to work with and fixed up the options.
The sprite disappearing glitch in the controls test menu is gone and it all works properly now.

I removed the sega logo from the start of the new version to be on the safe side since I noticed
that other new games don't have it and I read up about trademarks and things. I put it in originally
because almost all of my games that I had for the mega drive when I was younger had the sega logo
at start and I thought it was kinda like a signifier of it being a megadrive/genesis game. I was
curious if I could put it in and it worked. But now I got thinking if my game gets popular and it
still had that logo in there it might lead to some issues, so I'm leaving it out from now on.
It doesn't make that much of a difference. I'll still credit spritesmind and the intro is shorter this way.

I will leave the older version upload up since its further along in terms of gameplay
but I'm uploading what I have so far of the new version here;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p665e6i8r8stq ... s.bin?dl=1

I'll update the first post with the new version when I've fixed the gameplay for it

Miquel
Very interested

Post by Miquel » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:04 am

Make the bubbles bigger, much bigger this time. It doesn't matter if it feels a bit over proportionate as long as is enjoyable to play.

For example Sonic's bubbles are way to big compared to real life, but at least you can see them when you are playing in tension.

Hik
Very interested

Post by Hik » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:24 pm

Image Image
I think most of Sonic's bubbles aren't that much bigger than my bubbles,
but I might still add bigger bubbles later on.. I'm thinking of making these
one size bigger and adding some blue hue to them to make them more visible.

I'm still making and adding new things, like this snorkel.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:02 am

You could make your score depend on the size of the bubble when it's hit. Tiny bubbles get several points, small bubbles get a few, and big bubbles only get 1. Something like that. :D

Anywho, nice game! Doing good so far.

Miquel
Very interested

Post by Miquel » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:26 am

Hik wrote: I think most of Sonic's bubbles aren't that much bigger than my bubbles,
I think we have to differentiate 2 things here:
- sprites that are decoration, which should be kind of in a second plane, by means of being smaller or being in distinct color contrast for example.
- sprites that are involved in playability, which should be as obvious as possible.

The bubbles that give Sonic more air are bigger than himself if I remember correctly.