Catgirl Pool Party [Work in progress]

Announce (tech) demos or games releases

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

Hik
Very interested

Re: Catgirl Pool Party [Work in progress]

Post by Hik » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:41 pm

Miquel wrote:
Hik wrote: I think most of Sonic's bubbles aren't that much bigger than my bubbles,
I think we have to differentiate 2 things here:
- sprites that are decoration, which should be kind of in a second plane, by means of being smaller or being in distinct color contrast for example.
- sprites that are involved in playability, which should be as obvious as possible.

The bubbles that give Sonic more air are bigger than himself if I remember correctly.
Yes you're right. Right now the bubbles are more decorative since they can't be shot except in the test version I made earlier this year.

I've uploaded a new version of the demo, I've fixed the code for the options, added a new tileset and background and put in a new palmtree.
I also made the bubbles one size bigger even if they're mostly decorative. I still haven't fixed or added some of the things but I'll work on
those things later on. I also forgot to mention I was experimenting with switching between squirtguns (press left and right in the options) ;3

Miquel
Very interested

Post by Miquel » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:02 am

If hope you have no intent to shoot the poor palm tree this time, they do a great job providing coconuts.
HELP. Spanish TVs are brain washing people to be hostile to me.

Hik
Very interested

Post by Hik » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:13 pm

Miquel wrote:If hope you have no intent to shoot the poor palm tree this time, they do a great job providing coconuts.
I'm not making anything else happen with the palm tree, but I do know a game on the genesis that had palm trees which
the player could shoot the coconuts off of. I used a sprite trick on the palm tree to make better use of the palette colors.

I fixed the link in the first post so it works for the new demo version upload.

Miquel
Very interested

Post by Miquel » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:31 am

Nicely done...!

If you are considering doing a large level, you should move the palm tree to plane/layer A and reuse as much tiles as you can, with mirroring. Making symmetrical or near symmetrical objects seems to be the key, since there is no much memory around. That will allow you to put as many trees as you want. Kudos for using dynamic loading for characters, that saves a lot of memory, and allows to enlarge animations as much as you desire.

On the other hand I can't see the trick you mentioned.

Hik
Very interested

Post by Hik » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:40 pm

Miquel wrote:Nicely done...!

If you are considering doing a large level, you should move the palm tree to plane/layer A and reuse as much tiles as you can, with mirroring. Making symmetrical or near symmetrical objects seems to be the key, since there is no much memory around. That will allow you to put as many trees as you want. Kudos for using dynamic loading for characters, that saves a lot of memory, and allows to enlarge animations as much as you desire.

On the other hand I can't see the trick you mentioned.
I'm thinking I might have some small areas and some larger areas that the player can go between.

The thing I was testing with the palmtree was if I could use colors from 2 palettes (the ones used for forground and background)
on one sprite. That actually worked in a way. The downside is I'm using 2 sprites as 1 sprite. But its good to know this is possible
since it enables reusing more of the colors in one area. There might also be other tricks that might be better like some tricks with
the background scrolling but I haven't explored into that much. You know sprites can also be flipped right?

I also know that the palette can be changed so that colors used for a brown rock early in the level could maybe change into green
for a tree later in the level.. all this is still a learning experience for me so I'm testing things and working on improving my c code.

I can share some of the ideas for the levels but these ideas might change a bit when I go into making them.
Each level should have a few to several areas within it (each level having its own tileset) I'm thinking the end to a level could be a boat
or some other transport that works as an exit from one level to another. I'm thinking of 5 different levels (the order of them may change)
The first level is the beach, the second is a bit like a tropical town and a resort with a jungle, the third should be the dog temple
which is like a mixture of rides and puzzles,the fourth one is hotsprings and the fifth one has more pool environments with waterslides.
There are also underwater areas and obstacle courses which could have timed challenges (other than that there wouldn't be timers)

Miquel
Very interested

Post by Miquel » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:59 pm

In fact is a shame that you can use the four palettes for everything. It will be much more wise having 8, 4 for sprites and 4 for tiles. If you think about it you don't need to redesign the chip for that, everything works just the same, only a few more ram is needed.

About changing palette colours, you can change every colour in every vertical retrace, in PAL mode are going appear some points on the bottom of the screen if you do it early in the interruption.

When you flip a sprite the whole sprite is flipped, instead when you represent an object with several tiles on al plane, you can individually flip each tile, which give you more degrees to play with. Of course, you can divide sprites into more sprites until every sprite is 8x8 but pretty son you are going to reach the limit then.

Instead of having only one tile set, you can use two (at the same time), and change one at a time, this way shifts are gentler; and you can do it in midlevel making more of it!