Mega Q*bert [Full game]

Announce (tech) demos or games releases

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

Jaklub
Interested

Mega Q*bert [Full game]

Post by Jaklub » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:10 pm

Hi. Almost 6 years ago, I have released a prototype of a game called "Mega Q*bert", but I never finished it due to massive amount of problems with the game's structure. Lately I decided to rewrite it from scratch and it's now done.

Mega Q*bert is a fan adaptation of the popular arcade title for the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis. The title has 2 modes - Mega mode with 80 new different levels to beat and an Arcade mode, which is based on NES Q*bert (which in turn is based on the original game). Both modes allow simultaneous cooperative play.

Although I lack the equipment to test the game on the real console, it has been reported that aside from minor visual noise in select instances the game runs correctly on actual hardware and the gameplay itself is completely clean.

Youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68gWUd0VvPg

Download:
1.2:
https://mega.nz/#!kUp0lbgA!cVFG3V9CbfBV ... 3Z2JDMC_Ek
1.2 for less rough PAL play:
https://mega.nz/#!pEZEjYZb!11LDKQ3YYcwx ... tEGsC-CdS4

Thanks for reading.
Last edited by Jaklub on Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Linkuei

Re: Mega Q*bert [Full game]

Post by Linkuei » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:48 am

AMAZING!
Looks very polished Technicaly and FUN!!! :shock: :shock:

NICE JOB MAN! :P

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:03 am

Really well done ! I twitted about it =)

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:57 am

Jaklub wrote:Hi. Almost 6 years ago, I have released a prototype of a game called "Mega Q*bert", but I never finished it due to massive amount of problems with the game's structure. Lately I decided to rewrite it from scratch and it's now done.

The game unfortunately hasn't been tested on the actual hardware, as I don't have the necessary stuff to test it. Please also report the bugs you may find here, I'll be trying to iron them out.
I like that for dedication and I am glad that you stuck at it and saw it to completion.

If you need more low-level, hardware testing assistance I can help out as I have pretty all any one would need to track hw issues down here - just PM me with any issues as you may find all sorts of problems on the real hw if you have only developed and tested using Emulators.

Well done.
UMDK Fanboy

Jaklub
Interested

Post by Jaklub » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:09 pm

Thanks for posting. Uploaded a quick updated version 1.1 with important bugfix, some level alterations (for sake of difficulty) and additional tweaks in PAL version.
MintyTheCat wrote:I like that for dedication and I am glad that you stuck at it and saw it to completion.
The project has been laying dead for quite a bit of time, it wasn't until this year the rewrite actually begun.
MintyTheCat wrote:If you need more low-level, hardware testing assistance I can help out as I have pretty all any one would need to track hw issues down here - just PM me with any issues as you may find all sorts of problems on the real hw if you have only developed and tested using Emulators.
If I eventually get to try it, I'll keep it in mind. Thank you.

nitrofurano

Post by nitrofurano » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:10 pm

i humbly think that an amazing version like this shouldn’t be released only for Megadrive - just imagine having it released for NeoGeo, CPS-1, Amiga, etc. - and more, 2 decades ago, Hudson released Bomberman HD, and now we have 1080p and 4k displays available! just imagine the possibilities! :)

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:13 am

nitrofurano wrote:i humbly think that an amazing version like this shouldn’t be released only for Megadrive - just imagine having it released for NeoGeo, CPS-1, Amiga, etc. - and more, 2 decades ago, Hudson released Bomberman HD, and now we have 1080p and 4k displays available! just imagine the possibilities! :)
I can imagine the possibilities but more over I know the work too. Even the assets could not be simply dropped in place and very little of the code can be re-used so you would need teams for each of the platforms.

Sadly, that is a fair amount of work in any case and as the creator mentioned it took him 6 years.
UMDK Fanboy

Jaklub
Interested

Post by Jaklub » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:29 am

MintyTheCat wrote:I can imagine the possibilities but more over I know the work too. Even the assets could not be simply dropped in place and very little of the code can be re-used so you would need teams for each of the platforms.

Sadly, that is a fair amount of work in any case and as the creator mentioned it took him 6 years.
To clarify, the project in it's current form took roughly a bit over 4 months to make. The old version was dropped sometime between 2010 and 2011 and source code has been since lost. I thought I'd mention the existence of the prototype, since in spite of all it's flaws, it did gain some minor coverage on other sites, even relatively recently.

I think it'd be cool to see the game on other platforms, but as you said, it's a quite complicated process and I am not sure if I want to get invested in it.

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:08 pm

Jaklub wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote:I can imagine the possibilities but more over I know the work too. Even the assets could not be simply dropped in place and very little of the code can be re-used so you would need teams for each of the platforms.

To clarify, the project in it's current form took roughly a bit over 4 months to make. The old version was dropped sometime between 2010 and 2011 and source code has been since lost. I thought I'd mention the existence of the prototype, since in spite of all it's flaws, it did gain some minor coverage on other sites, even relatively recently.

I think it'd be cool to see the game on other platforms, but as you said, it's a quite complicated process and I am not sure if I want to get invested in it.
Thanks for the clarification - I took the integral :)

Yes, it has to be said that each platform barring a couple like the Master-System and the Megadrive, share very little in common and all have their own architecture and hardware to get to grips with and all require their own tools, libraries, etc.

If I was to look at porting a title to many platforms I would choose something that was highly linear and modular personally as it is easier to work with across platforms.
UMDK Fanboy

Asaki

Post by Asaki » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:58 am

Jaklub wrote:The game unfortunately hasn't been tested on the actual hardware, as I don't have the necessary stuff to test it.
Hey, really cool port.

I have one of the Everdrives (whichever one is older), and tested it out, seems to run okay! There's a tiny bit of white noise near the top of the screen on the title screen, and during the victory animation, but it's not bad. Haven't noticed anything else.

Jaklub
Interested

Post by Jaklub » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:16 pm

Asaki wrote:Hey, really cool port.

I have one of the Everdrives (whichever one is older), and tested it out, seems to run okay! There's a tiny bit of white noise near the top of the screen on the title screen, and during the victory animation, but it's not bad. Haven't noticed anything else.
Thanks for testing, I have received feedback from another source that has the same issue. I'll be looking into fixing it and release the next version soon.

Asaki

Post by Asaki » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:42 pm

I also may have had some problems getting player 2 to work with the Team Player hooked up, but that was probably user error, so I didn't really want to mention it...I'd have to sit down with it again and try to reproduce it.

Jaklub
Interested

Post by Jaklub » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:55 pm

Sorry about the wait, but 1.2 version is now up. It has some fixes that reduces the noise issue in most problematic places and some big difficulty tweaks for Arcade mode.

1.2:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/421 ... 0Qbert.bin
1.2 for less rough PAL play:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/421 ... %20PAL.bin