Mega Marble World

Announce (tech) demos or games releases

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

Sik
Very interested

Re: Mega Marble World - Fail!

Post by Sik » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:20 pm

matteus wrote:I wouldn't bash any of them. However I am gutted to hear that most of the contracts seem to involve handing over your work and ceasing ownership.
One thing I complain since many years ago is that homebrew publishers insist on behaving like they're AAA publishers. It's 2016 and those consoles are long dead, stop behaving like you're EA or Activision when all your customers want is somebody to make the cartridges and ship them to buyers. They don't even need marketing because it's so niche that one can get away with just going to a forum and saying "hey I made a game". In many cases they didn't even intend to make money from th game originally, but somehow releasing your own ROM is actively demonized as hurting yourself, probably so the publishers can demand the right to exclusivity (effectively becoming owners to your own game as far as what you can do with it goes).

We really need a way to make cartridges that don't involve somebody trying to hog the whole thing for themselves. Maybe even cartridges on demand, because the demand isn't very high. That'd also kill off the assholes that try to hoard cartridges then resell them for a large price on eBay.
Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".

elusive
Very interested

Post by elusive » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:12 pm

Sik, I think you're way off base here. SegaTim was trying to sell the IP, not get it published. His intent is to make money off of it - there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, I had assumed he wanted a publishing deal rather than sell the rights outright.

Also, nobody has a "lock on the market". I offer pcb's for a low cost so anyone who wants to make games can do it cheaply themselves. Lots of other places do as well, so I'm not sure where you're getting the impressions that you're getting.

cero
Very interested

Post by cero » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:31 pm

@elusive

Which company are you with?

elusive
Very interested

Post by elusive » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:20 pm

cero wrote:@elusive

Second Dimension :)

matteus
Very interested

Post by matteus » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:01 pm

elusive wrote:

I'll probably email you for a chat when I've something complete :)

Flygon
Very interested

Post by Flygon » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:51 am

Sik wrote:We really need a way to make cartridges that don't involve somebody trying to hog the whole thing for themselves. Maybe even cartridges on demand, because the demand isn't very high. That'd also kill off the assholes that try to hoard cartridges then resell them for a large price on eBay.
That would be way awesome. It'd be a bit more expensive than doing this at bulk, but with such low volumes involved anyway? I'm actually quite surprised that nobody's capitalized on this sort of thing yet, given the ability to purchase up 'blank' cartridges, cartridge shells, and clamshell cases already exist.

Hell, printing isn't a huge problem either. If it weren't for my awful location (with regards to shipping), I'd perhaps even consider such a service myself. I'd love to see an American or European start up a business like this! :)

elusive
Very interested

Post by elusive » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:58 am

matteus wrote:
elusive wrote:

I'll probably email you for a chat when I've something complete :)
Looking forward to it! :)

SteveMartin
Interested

Post by SteveMartin » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:58 am

This looked like a nifty original game, it's sad it's going to be cancelled now since distribution isn't happening.

Regarding Piko, I try to think he's not a bad person and give him the benefit of the doubt, regardless of anything I have to say here. For one, if anyone is wondering, and I'm sure it's no secret to tell this, but the rights for all the Chinese games were bought from Super Fighter Team, who had previously acquired them during their purchase of the rights for Beggar Prince. Super Fighter got into contact with the companies behind all the other Taiwanese RPGs etc out there, I guess? I don't know how they did it. But anyway, I suppose that means Wukong and Beggar Prince didn't do well enough to motivate them to make releases themselves, so Piko was able to strike a deal. From what I understood, it was either buy the IP outright, or Super Fighter Team licensed the sale of IP owned by them. Which one Piko went for I can't tell, but I'm assuming he outright bought the IPs.

I was originally going to lend my translation of Barver Battle to him that I worked on with Djinn, a Russian hacker. He emailed me and we were going to work a deal out. In the end, he had some mystery partner come in and pretty deny a lot of what we originally agreed upon. I don't know what happened there. I know this is just an independent company, and he promised me he'd also compensate me for being a translator for their future Chinese translations. We agreed and I patiently waited. Never heard back. I see a couple games are out now and I guess he got someone else to translate instead of me? Good for him, I guess. I don't hold any malice and regardless of whatever the reason he never even got back in touch with me, at least people are getting to play these games now.

Unlike the situation with MMW, though, mine involves a translation I was never even given legal permission to be translating and distributing to begin with. But we're also talking about a game (Barver Battle) that uses graphics stolen from Final Fantasy VI(III) and other games, so it kind of evens out in terms of who deserves compensation for what and I just separate myself from all of it now.

If he goes ahead and uses my and Djinns hack with no notice though, that will indeed by a douchy thing to do. I'll be curious to see what happens. In fact, I'm just going to email him now and ask since it's better than assuming the worst.

BTW, if we're going to talk about things that are dubious and wrong, I know that games like that Water Margin one use the sound engine from Data East's High Seas Havoc. Last I spoke to him, that was going to be removed because they can't just go ahead and sell something that illegally uses another company's sound engine. I wonder if they replaced it because I'm sure it'd be a bit of work. Dealing with all of these Chinese games and their assets whcih have been stolen from elsewhere is enough of a headache, I can imagine.

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:24 am

Sik wrote:
We really need a way to make cartridges that don't involve somebody trying to hog the whole thing for themselves. Maybe even cartridges on demand, because the demand isn't very high. That'd also kill off the assholes that try to hoard cartridges then resell them for a large price on eBay.
Until I canceled it, I was about to release my game this way.
You have now several pcb/cart/case resellers (just forget Alixpress).
Second dimension has some good deals and look on ebay for best deals ;)
(it's not an ad, more a personal feeling)

Don't remember right now which one produce pcb with the correct bevel....

And if you haven't the skill to burn or solder, it seems you have some alternives (untested)
- KriKzz's FlashKit programmer MD + FlashKit cart MD
- db-electronics, at some times, was able to provide a small quantity cart service (perhaps canceled)
more on viewtopic.php?p=25730#p25730
- looking for http://www.batslyadams.com/2013/12/genn ... carts.html too

What stopped me, personnaly, was to find a printer company to print sticker label and cover.
Don't know how to select it (what to ask as quality)...

elusive
Very interested

Post by elusive » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:01 pm

KanedaFr wrote:
Sik wrote:
Until I canceled it, I was about to release my game this way.
You have now several pcb/cart/case resellers (just forget Alixpress).
Second dimension has some good deals and look on ebay for best deals ;)
(it's not an ad, more a personal feeling)

Don't remember right now which one produce pcb with the correct bevel....

And if you haven't the skill to burn or solder, it seems you have some alternives (untested)
- KriKzz's FlashKit programmer MD + FlashKit cart MD
- db-electronics, at some times, was able to provide a small quantity cart service but I'm unable to find back the link (perhaps canceled)

What stopped me, personnaly, was to find a printer company to print sticker label and cover.
Don't know how to select it (what to ask as quality)...
Thank you for the kind words :)

If you need help getting materials printed with good quality, send me a PM or email with what you're looking to get done, and I can mail you some samples, and we can go from there :)

elusive
Very interested

Post by elusive » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:07 pm

Also, I can produce 2mb flash boards for the Genesis/mega drive, but the problem is the equipment setup isn't cheap (requires an EPROM programmer, a 16bit adapter, and a custom cart slot).

When I launch the updated web shop, I'll be offering DIY kits that include a brand new clam shell, cartridge shell, and pcb with an option to purchase an EPROM. As much as I love publishing others games, I think it's equally important to offer a "do it yourself" solution. I'll also be offering cardboard box services as well :)

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:03 pm

Hi,

I think there are 2 subjects on this thread ( apart the original one : a new homebrew game for Genny ).

1/SegaTim pointed how bad is Piko Interactive, with some personal opinion of Elusive.
2/Elusive and Sik pointed how could be the retro publishing.

I won't talk about subject 2 since I think it's really based on the game and developer himselft (what he wants, what he was looking for when making the game).

About subject 1, for anyone wanting to try publishing with Piko Interactive, I'd like to tell what I, with only the developer side in mind, was able to understand.
I contacted Piko Interactive about this case, which doesn't want to react on this matter (I may understand why), but gave me his view of the story.
I then mixed SegaTim and Piko Interactive' views on it.

And, clearly, there are some points not clear.
I personnaly think SegaTim overreacted (whatever happens between the time they contacted first and the estimated date of payment).
I understood he started to flame Piko Interactive ONE day after estimated date.
Are you sure it was a great thing to do ?
Again i don't know if a contract exists between them.
If not, SegaTim and Piko Interactive are at fault here.
Even if we talk about the niche retropublishing market (even if it's growing, but not the right way perhaps?), the two sides have RIGHTS and DUTIES, and it's exactly what a contract define. (and no, a contract is not a 'sign-to-sell-me-your-soul' paper)

First thing to learn from this story : nothing without a contract (whatever should be written in it is another subject).
Second thing : you're working with/for another individual who is not able to code like you but is able to publish your game (just looking at the price of the mould to make new cartdrige should stop you from complaining). For now, it's still a person like you, a human being not Nintendo nor Electronic Arts burning company. So, if you don't like what you sense while chating/mailing/taking with him, forget it. If you or him makes an error (like being late to reply), don't forget human sleep like you and may have problem like you.
Third thing : you WON'T earn lot of money with retro develop. You could earn some dollars but in regards of the time you'll spend developing, it doesn't worth it. Yes, I repeat, it DOESN'T worth it....if it's for money only.

I'm not saying here Piko Interactive is perfect and every thing said here is bullshit, it doesn't happen to me but to SegaTim.
Also what Piko Interactive seems to have done BEFORE becoming a publisher get back to public when problem arises.
Does it mean you should avoid Piko Interactive if you have a game to publish ?
My answer is clearly NO.

What you should do is to contact any retro publisher you want (one by one, not all at the same time, else you'll lose 'exclusivity' bonus) and sign with him ONLY if you feel it, not because of the sum on money he promise you.
I still think we develop game with heart and soul, and selling it...no...publish it on real cartridge like Sega did on these so good old days is "la cerise sur le gateau" (google for it!)
This bonus should NOT become the reason to stop making game, but the burst to start another one.

This is my personal opinion, I don't intent to hurt anyone nor 'select a side'.
I really hope this will help anyone wanting to try the publishing adventure, SegaTim included.

SegaTim
Very interested

Post by SegaTim » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:06 pm

KanedaFr, my experience only and the proved criticism. Piko Interactive can be your choice. Nobody forbids. I inform about incident for all. Contracts were not. There was a promise and refusal of it. I shall remove game and I shall forget trouble.
The state of affairs arranges all. Probably, someone is useful my information. Do not repeat mistakes, do not waste time. Do not enter on a raker. It is my message.

Matej
Very interested

Post by Matej » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:31 pm

I like your game screenshots was very beautiful... There are more Sega developers.

Maybe you can try indiegogo same as kickstarter but also include our area - eastern europe.
https://www.indiegogo.com/

And buy cheap Krikzz 9Euro flash so you will publish your game by yourself.
Also you can make PC, Android version from your graphics so you will make profit from your development.

Dont give up! I love your game!

SegaTim
Very interested

Post by SegaTim » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:15 pm

Matej,
Thanks! Yes. I see:
«Tanglewood» - £48,000 on Kickstarter - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/63 ... -genesis-m
«Socks The Cat» - $33,000 on Kickstarter - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/so ... e-clintons
«Coffee Crisis» - $10,000 on Kickstarter - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/me ... -aliens-an

I do not have money for PR campaign. And Indiegogo is less optimistical.

This is not America, the world is rigid as Pinochet Augusto. Sorry.