Titus the Fox

Announce (tech) demos or games releases

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

Mills
Interested

Titus the Fox

Post by Mills » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:32 am

Hi. i wonder if people would be interested in porting "titus the fox" to megadrive/genesis.

There is a source called opentitus: http://sourceforge.net/projects/opentitus/files/
And also a web with tools and ripped level maps: //ttf.mine.nu/

Everything should fit in MD/Gen , because it was made with 16 color palettes and 16x16 tiles.

I could remake the music :).

Morden
Interested

Re: Titus the Fox

Post by Morden » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:51 pm

This one certainly takes me back. Fun fact: If you play Titus today, it will display the same message as the one seen in Prehistorik, which is something like "Woohoo, you're still playing *game title here* in 20XX. It was coded in 19XX on computer such and such". In the case of Titus the Fox, it actually says "You're still playing Moktar", which appears to be year older than Titus, and essentially the same game. This would mean Titus is just re-skinned Moktar I guess. I never dug any deeper after noticing this some years back.

Oh, and if someone does feel like porting this game to MegaDrive, please, fix the annoying stepping screen scroll. The background will scroll only when the character reaches 2/3 of the screen.

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:58 pm

Funny

I was looking at this game last week...about source code available ;)

And yes, titus is moktar, since Moktar is only known in France (a character of the comic Lagaf' ) like explained on wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titus_the_Fox

So bad, i'm missing free time :(

Mills
Interested

Post by Mills » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:13 pm

Yes, Titus the fox is just Moktar with a fox :).

I first played it on a 8086 8 MHz, with a mcga card (the first vga) and I don't think that kind of computers had a vram like the MD/Gen, that's why the scroll is bad, because the PC version was made to run on slow PC's, like that 8 Mhz one, and it had to draw and move every pixel and every tile on screen and then move all the scene i think... So it only scrolls at certain points.

I looked at the scroll.c in the source:

Code: Select all

if ((!XSCROLL_CENTER) &&
              ((pstileX > screen_width - ALERT_X / 16) || //Player is on the right screen edge
              (pstileX < ALERT_X/16))) { //Player is on the left screen edge
                XLIMIT_SCROLL = screen_width / 2; //Scroll until player is in center
                XSCROLL_CENTER = true; //start scrolling
            }

If I could compile it on my pc to try and fix the scroll... :|

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:03 pm

To be complete, I found OpenTitus while I was looking if some did the same thing than Cyx.

I really like how (s)he ported old DOS games to cross platform.