YMDj - A Native Sega Genesis/Megadrive Music Tracker.

Announce (tech) demos or games releases

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

Count SymphoniC
Very interested

Post by Count SymphoniC » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:45 am

Jazzmarazz wrote:Posting in the main thread again because I have a comment.

There needs to be some sort of timer to count how long a direction button is pressed and act accordingly. Currently the cursor will slide across the screen at a fast pace even if you tap the button for very little time. This makes it hard to move the cursor only by one. Get what I mean?
Currently there is only a rudimentary timing system in place to keep things from going too fast. You're right it needs to be improved. I plan to do a "delay" function, where you hold the dpad down and it moves over one space, then after a second goes on more quickly, similar to holding down a key on your computer keyboard.

Jazzmarazz
Very interested

Post by Jazzmarazz » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:44 pm

Excellent, you did understand what I meant. I was worried I explained it to poorly. :P
Anyhow, that is my only CC for now.

twosixonetwo
Very interested

Post by twosixonetwo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:28 pm

Is there a newer version than 0.02 available for download? I tried 0.02 and it immediatly crashes on real hardware. It somehow crashes so badly that you can't even return to the Everdrive menu via soft reset. Immediatly means the image doesn't change at all from the last image the everdrive menu displayed.
(I am using a Model 1 non-TMSS megadrive with a standard everdrive)

Count SymphoniC
Very interested

Post by Count SymphoniC » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:51 pm

http://www.mediafire.com/download/t7gx8 ... Jreg80.bin

This works on real hardware. However it's not completely current, I'm in the middle of rewriting code for better ram usage so the most current one is unavailable.

Jazzmarazz
Very interested

Post by Jazzmarazz » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:50 pm

So about the Red pallette, you cane have an option to switch out for a gentle blue or something. Later on of course.

Count SymphoniC
Very interested

Post by Count SymphoniC » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:03 pm

Jazzmarazz wrote:So about the Red pallette, you cane have an option to switch out for a gentle blue or something. Later on of course.
I was already planning complete control of the palette colors in the options menu, I probably could add an option to fix the color output for those composite to hd setups.

Jazzmarazz
Very interested

Post by Jazzmarazz » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:43 pm

Another suggestion. How about you add a tiny splash screen or tone sequence at startup similar to the game boy's bah-ding! Then after that, load your own sprites and fonts. That way the TMSS won't change to your font, although it is pretty interesting.

Count SymphoniC
Very interested

Post by Count SymphoniC » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:01 pm

Jazzmarazz wrote:Another suggestion. How about you add a tiny splash screen or tone sequence at startup similar to the game boy's bah-ding! Then after that, load your own sprites and fonts. That way the TMSS won't change to your font, although it is pretty interesting.
Haha, I already had a good one in mind, I'll put it in once I get soundtests working. I've almost finished the notation system, just a few more adjustments and sound tests can commence :D

Jazzmarazz
Very interested

Post by Jazzmarazz » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:22 am

Count SymphoniC wrote:
Jazzmarazz wrote:Another suggestion. How about you add a tiny splash screen or tone sequence at startup similar to the game boy's bah-ding! Then after that, load your own sprites and fonts. That way the TMSS won't change to your font, although it is pretty interesting.
Haha, I already had a good one in mind, I'll put it in once I get soundtests working. I've almost finished the notation system, just a few more adjustments and sound tests can commence :D
Sweet. Very exciting news indeed. Soon you'll need to be learning about serial communication so we can wire a MIDI port to the EXT connector. haha. ;)

Count SymphoniC
Very interested

Post by Count SymphoniC » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:40 am

Jazzmarazz wrote: Sweet. Very exciting news indeed. Soon you'll need to be learning about serial communication so we can wire a MIDI port to the EXT connector. haha. ;)
Here's a quote from board member Chilly Willy on this subject, "The Genesis IO controller tops out at 4800 baud. MIDI is 31.25 kBaud. So using the serial is out. As I mentioned, you need to use parallel out, and convert it to/from serial on the adapter."

Jazzmarazz
Very interested

Post by Jazzmarazz » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:56 am

Count SymphoniC wrote:
Jazzmarazz wrote: Sweet. Very exciting news indeed. Soon you'll need to be learning about serial communication so we can wire a MIDI port to the EXT connector. haha. ;)
Here's a quote from board member Chilly Willy on this subject, "The Genesis IO controller tops out at 4800 baud. MIDI is 31.25 kBaud. So using the serial is out. As I mentioned, you need to use parallel out, and convert it to/from serial on the adapter."
Ok, makes sense. Let me get a link to that thread.

Count SymphoniC
Very interested

Post by Count SymphoniC » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:15 am

viewtopic.php?t=1310&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

This thread was when I first came up with the idea of doing a genesis tracker, yes, it was 2 years ago and I just got started developing it 2 weeks ago. But in this thread the topic of MIDI got brought up. People came up with different ideas for doing it, and since I'm still a little fresh on this aspect of the Genesis hardware I don't really know what's best. Let me know if you come up with something though because I think MIDI will be vital to this tracker.

PS... sound tests have officially begun.

Jazzmarazz
Very interested

Post by Jazzmarazz » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:37 am

There really wasn't a solution in taht thread so we'll havet o talk about it later. in the meantime, great to hear you're working on sound now! Also, I PM'ed you.

FumuAiNi

Post by FumuAiNi » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:21 am

I put the rom in an emulator and I am loving the design! This looks like a tracker I'd spend every day on! I'm picturing I'm creating music on my Sega Nomad with the rom on my Everdrive and the sounds are booming on my over the ear headphones, and I'm nodding my head to this new track!
Fumu

Count SymphoniC
Very interested

Post by Count SymphoniC » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:05 am

Hey that's good to hear. Thanks. The sound tests have started I'll be releasing another demo soon.