wolfenstein demo for sega genesis

Announce (tech) demos or games releases

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:37 pm

Tested on my CDX, works perfectly now :)
So when you send data to YM port the busy flag seems to take more cycles to switch to "busy" on the YM3438 than the YM2612.

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:55 am

Stef wrote:So when you send data to YM port the busy flag seems to take more cycles to switch to "busy" on the YM3438 than the YM2612.
That's what I think too.

Last night I finished constructing the test cartridge, and I've been testing the roms in the two systems, with the previous version in the genesis Model 1 sounds good, and the other is a "Genesis2" pirate, sounds bad, and the last version sounds good in both models. I can now confirm that the three NOPs is what makes the difference, because I tested with the previous code to write to the YM regs just adding the three NOPs, and also worked well.
Here are some pictures of this "experimental" test cartridge I did:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3jkds ... k_cart.rar

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:58 am

Glad you finally fixed the problem :)
I amazed you realized your own flash cart so quickly, well done, hope it will help you in further testing / debugging.

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:10 am

Glad you finally fixed the problem :)
Thank you and also thanks to TmEE co.(TM) that made me think about adding NOPs to make it work.
I amazed you realized your own flash cart so quickly, well done, hope it will help you in further testing / debugging.
About the cartridge, I will soon make another but using a 1MB flash memory (SST39VF800A). Fortunately there is enough documentation on how to program it. I believe that at least the first episode of this game, could fit into this memory. :)

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:20 am

gasega68k wrote: Thank you and also thanks to TmEE co.(TM) that made me think about adding NOPs to make it work.
TmEE is an expert when it comes to YM stuff ;) And it is a nice information to know about, i never meet this problem in my Z80 drivers because i only do PCM stuff but i would meet it in future some drivers i guess ;)
About the cartridge, I will soon make another but using a 1MB flash memory (SST39VF800A). Fortunately there is enough documentation on how to program it. I believe that at least the first episode of this game, could fit into this memory. :)
Sound good ! I'm really looking forward to see ennemies sprites added, i guess this is a big part though.

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:06 am

I'm here again with a new version of the demo. In this version I put 5 levels and a level select screen, because I wanted to try some things, for example the operation of locked doors that need keys. I have also added two more musics, the music playing on the selection screen, of course, does not come from wolfenstein, and music that sounds at levels 2 and 4 is the one heard on the first level of the SNES game, but in the pc version, according to the source, is only in the secret level of episode 6.

I've started reading the source for active objects (enemies), perhaps in the next version will have some enemies, but is a bit complicated and maybe it will take me some time to do this.

Here is the link to download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/8z883 ... emo_b3.rar

Mixail
Very interested

Post by Mixail » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:16 pm

gasega68k, good job!

inu
Very interested

Post by inu » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:40 pm

Hey it's christmas again!

Whoa! Enemies next already?
Was expecting maybe ingame level change, or menus, or all the levels from the freeware browser version, but that's even better!! Even if it takes a little bit.

Thank you for your hard work.

doragasu
Very interested

Post by doragasu » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:45 pm

Amazing work. Keep it up!

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:50 am

New version of the rom available.:D
In this version I've added several things, first I made the intro of the game with the music, also did the music for the menus, now you can finish a level (although there are only 5 levels, I have to draw some more textures for walls to add more levels), and most importantly: I added what would be the first test with enemies, but is only a test, it's just the standing guard, not moving, and you can not kill him.
Still a lot to do, but at least I have what would be the main structure of active objects (enemies).
This is the link to download it:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/7ummf ... emo_b4.rar

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:20 am

Amazing, i don't see any frame drop for adding enemies (or very minor), you probably optimized a bit you rendering code !
And the most important: we can see enemies from every side :D
Keep up the great work, i am really impatient to see them moving now :p

letoulousain
Interested

Post by letoulousain » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:27 pm

gasega68k wrote:New version of the rom available.:D
It's really impressive !
:D
thanks to Stef SGDK

mic_
Very interested

Post by mic_ » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:55 pm

Tried this out on my Megadrive the other day. Really cool for an FPS running on the MD (even if you can't actually shoot the enemies yet).

KRIKzz
Interested

Post by KRIKzz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:11 pm

Really impressive! Genny doing the work of i286 machine, which is much more powerful. Blast processing he he (:

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:53 pm

Wow, this is really impressive. Looks like you've nearly got the game fully up and running! This would've been a top seller if it'd been released back in the day. I'd like to see the SNES try and do this! lol