Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:20 am

Adding lightgun support to wolf3d would be a crazy easter egg :D

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:33 pm

Stef wrote:Adding lightgun support to wolf3d would be a crazy easter egg :D
About the only way that makes sense is to have the gun act like a mouse, turning from side to side while the pad handled strafing and forward/backward.

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:37 pm

Chilly Willy wrote:
About the only way that makes sense is to have the gun act like a mouse, turning from side to side while the pad handled strafing and forward/backward.
That could be a way to do it. :)

I fixed an error related to the mouse that had already mentioned. When the game was saved (playing with the mouse) and then when the game is loaded, the buttons were changed, because I forgot that I also had to save the settings buttons on the mouse, and if enabled (although right now , the buttons can not be changed, but later I will do that can be configured as well).

So I've decided to update the link of the version b10.7, with the correction of this error. For those who had already downloaded the b10.7 version, please download this version again.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/a488w ... _b107_.rar

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:43 pm

Chilly Willy wrote:
I was thinking about a very simple way of handling it, first controller doing normal movement and light gun in port 2 just to shoot enemies on screen ;)

r57shell
Very interested

Post by r57shell » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:47 am

Offtop: :D https://www.shadertoy.com/view/4sfGWX
I didn't want to create new topic.

matteus
Very interested

Post by matteus » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:35 pm

I suppose this begs the question could you adapt your wolf3d engine to work as an on-rails shooter?

Obviously it would lack a few axis of movement and possible feel a bit stiff :) but other than that haha

ICEknight
Very interested

Post by ICEknight » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:10 am

I really think it would be better to wait till the game's finished before going overboard with crazy-ass stuff.

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:53 pm

I made a video to test the performance of the engine of Wolf3D. :wink:

In the first room there are 20 dogs, then in the next room there are 30 enemies (guards and SS) in the next room there are 40 enemies and finally in the next room, there are 50 enemies.
The original game (PC version) there is a limit of 50 sprites (enemies and objects) that can be on screen at the same time, but in this engine there is no such limit, and therefore can be much more than 50 sprites on screen .
Also in the game there is no scene (area) where there are 50 enemies (not even 40) simultaneously on the screen, and that's why there is this limit.:wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sAZWWbY4n4

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:48 am

Haha it's crazy impressive, you really optimized the IA code as well the sprite rendering. It would have been nice to see the FPS drop during the last battle, but still, more than 50 visibles objects at once and it's not a slide show ;)
Last edited by Stef on Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:24 am

Holy carp !
This is total awesomeness ~~~~~~~~
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:53 pm

The performance is astounding! If Sega had had something like this back in '94, it would have done wonders to the Genesis/SNES clash. We might have seen a number of similar games that would have held the market long enough for Sega to get the Saturn ready PROPERLY without needing the SVP or 32X.

I'm really gob-smacked at how much you can get out of the Genesis.

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:08 pm

Another small update of Wolf3D. :)

In this version I have corrected some errors, one of which is in the animation of some enemies, the most notable was the boss of the 1st episode, when he prepared to shoot, had to raise the gun and should stay that way for a moment and then shoot, but instead he fired directly without displaying the frame when he raised the gun first.

Another "error" was in the sound (in samples), had to do with the volume level (when an enemy is far, the sample is played at a lower level), and could be the case, that when the enemy was far rather not play the sound (when it reaches a certain distance the sound is discarded because it is far and should not be heard) could play at maximum volume level.

Now in this version I'm using data compressed levels as in the original.

The rom has increased by about 400KB, because I added all the textures of the walls, I've also added new musics and samples (pcm), plus I made some changes in some parts of code as in the active objects, this is in preparation for start adding the other episodes.

Here's the new version:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/yzzxb ... d_fv11.rar

For now I want to give a little break to Wolf3D (about 2 or 3 weeks), I want to try many things I've been putting off, like a demo "mode 7", a code for "scaling" fast for sprites or background (for title screens), and also want to improve the 3d engine did for starfox3d, and to add some things like the "scramble" intro.

Also on Starfox I found a way that I can use the DMA, similar to the latest version demo I did of Starfox3d, but difference is that only one plane is needed and also just use the same space in Vram (the previous version I had done with DMA, use double space in Vram), ie this method will work as fast as the version that does not have the background, but with background. :)

As I said before I want to try to do all these things I've been putting off, especially the "Mode 7" demo, which actually had already done a small test several years ago, but when I saw the demo of "hu-zero" (although this has no rotation, just scaling by-scanline (actually I'm not sure if that is scaling)) inspired me to "retry" doing "mode 7" in the Gen/Md, and improve it. I've started doing some tests, and it worked much better than I expected, perhaps in the coming days I will be showing something.:D

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:51 pm

Thanks for the early Xmas present. :D

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:31 pm

Indeed nice presents ! And i am very excited about all your plans :D
Specially the 3D stuff which can take benefit from the DMA and use only a single plan ;)

Hu-zero is "just" good use of raster effects, no scaling at all involved but indeed it's well done. I guess you already know about the Pier Solar mode 7 mini game, the technique they used heavily rely on precomputed tables, they could even get 60 FPS (with a limited number of scanline rendering) but it required bigger tables (too much wasted rom space).

tomaitheous
Very interested

Post by tomaitheous » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:30 pm

HuZero puts a series of prescaled rows (bitmaps) in vram, and used hsync to select the 'scale' of the corresponding line. So yeah, prescaled graphics. The bending and other effects, are X/Y positioning from the h-int routine.