X: Toggle run
Y: Switch weapon
Z: Open door
Mode: Shoot

Possibly switch turn and strafe.

inu
Very interested

Post by inu » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:29 am

ICEknight wrote:How can you disagree if you haven't even tried the controller I'm talking about?
I disagreed with the "one-button strafe will always be far less confusing to use" part. Because I find that it's far more confusing using the same button for both functions, that's all.
TapamN wrote:Mode: Shoot
The Mode button was prone to breaking. Making us having to press it often is a bad idea.
But the main issues with the suggested setup, is that there is no "toggle run" option and the directions are, obviously, not configurable.

The most "obvious" solution to fit all setups, would be to allow "Strafe L" and "Strafe R" to be configurable too.
As adding, extra selectable button setups for L,R just sounds like it doesn't cover all the possible options.

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:25 pm

inu wrote:Most of the "issues" I found were in the Sound menu.
The "boxes" around the text are not the same size, and would probably look nicer if they were.
"PCM S.E" 3 leaves a "beep" playing, at least on the 2 emulators I tried.
"PCM S.E" 29 doesn't make any sound (might be intended, but I'm still pointing it out).
Might wanna set the SFX\Music options in the same order as the "menu" bellow (Music > Sound effects > Digitized sounds), for organization purposes (not really important, just pointing it out).
About "boxes" around the text and sound "PCM SE 3", I already fixed it, also now for the sound test, I have changed to this: "BG Music", "Sound Eff (PSG). "and" Digit. Snd (PCM). "
The "PCM SE 29" sound is a "dummy", I just use it to stop the samples when you enter the menu.
inu wrote:Still no option to set the save mode to "NONE""OFF" (except the high score at the end), would be nice to have it too since you already went out of your way to create the "AUTO" mode.
I understand what you say, what you want is to have an option to play without saving, is so ?. It can be done, no problem.
inu wrote:Not sure if it's intended, but when you're adding your name to the High Score, the position of the character is 1px too much to the left.
The position of the character in the High Score is a mistake, I had not noticed, I'm going to fix.
ICEknight wrote:The only gripe I have with it is that it still prompts after the first level, which kind of defeats its purpose. Would it be possible to make it save the game (first level with initial stats) right before the game starts?
At first I had done that way, but thought that looked a little strange, but now I think it should be that way.
The auto save will work like this: if you start a game with the option "auto" save enabled, the option to select slot will be right after choose difficulty (just before starting the game), now if you start a game, but the option "auto "save is not enabled, and then during the game you enter the menu and activate the" auto "save even would have the possibility of choosing slot at the end of the level (as is now).
inu wrote:The most "obvious" solution to fit all setups, would be to allow "Strafe L" and "R Strafe" to be configurable too.
I think it's the best option, so everyone can place them in the desired button. I definitely will do that.

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:50 pm

Another small update. :)
Now you can assign "Strafe L" and "Strafe R" to any button, like all other actions.
The option to select slot for the "autosave" mode, now appear just before starting the game (after selecting difficulty) and having selected this option on the "debug/misc." Menu, but if you start a new game without being selected "auto" mode and then during the game, you enter the menu and choose save mode to "auto", then the option to select slot will appear at the end of the level (as is now).

I have added save mode "off" to play without saving.
I've also changed some small things in the menus, in the "Sound test" and "control".

I have fixed some small bugs (not during the game), one was when you die in the game and then going to the menu to start a new game, the "getpsyched" screen did not appear.

I changed a bit the code for controllers, to fix a bug in a specific pad (ASCII pad and probably others that are similar), which Barone, from the Sega-16 forums, had mentioned.

Perhaps many think that I have not made much progress on this, but I've actually been working in parallel with the version with 6 episodes, I have all the walls and sprites, I've been making music, and in fact, I have a working version with 6 episodes, but still lack the enemies of the other episodes: mutant, officer, Schabbs, Gretel, Gift, Fat, Ghosts, and H... :wink:

Download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/qrkz6 ... _b10.6.rar

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:04 am

Another small update of Wolf3D. Now to include mouse support. :)
After several tests with different configurations, I decided to leave the following settings for the mouse:
L Button = fire.
R Button = open/run.
M Button = weapon.
S Button = menu.

Along with the mouse (on port 2) the pad is used (on port 1) with the following settings:
Up = forward.
Down = backward.
Left = strafe_L.
Right = strafe_R.
Start = menu.
A = weapon.

With this configuration and if you have the MegaMouse (US version), with one hand on the pad and the other hand on the mouse, you can have access to all actions including changing weapon, and the menu.

This will be the last version with only the first episode. For the next version I will add at least the second episode, (along with any correction of a bug, that maybe someone could report ... I hope not :wink: ).

Download version b10.7 (with mouse support): :)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/a488w ... _b107_.rar
Last edited by gasega68k on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:40 am

I don't have any mouse but i'm thinking about buying one just to try it with your game ! Well done gasega !

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:00 pm

Sounds perfect! I'll try it this afternoon and let you know how it works on my CDX with the MegaMouse.
:D

EDIT: Works awesome! It's so smooth and responsive. It's hard to believe it's a plain MD. The only issue I found was that if I started the game with the default six-button control set, I couldn't change it to mouse later. You have to change it to mouse before trying to start a game.

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:27 am

Something that I had forgotten to mention is that the mouse must be connected before starting the game (before turning on the console).
Chilly Willy wrote:...The only issue I found was that if I started the game with the default six-button control set, I couldn't change it to mouse later. You have to change it to mouse before trying to start a game
That's odd, that is, you start a game, then you enter the menu to change it to mouse, and you can not change it?

To detect the mouse, a routine (at the start) is executed, and then stored in a variable the presence or absence of the mouse, so you can select the mouse if present, in the menu "control". This variable is not changed again (should not change), so I think that maybe what is happening is that sometimes the mouse is not detected? :?

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:22 pm

The mouse is connected before turning on the CDX. I run the demo from SD card with a NeoFlash MD Myth. If I go immediately to the control menu, I can set MOUSE. Then running the game uses the mouse. If I leave it at the default on starting and run the game, then go back to the menu, it will not change from 6-button to anything else.

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:43 am

Ok, this looks like a bug in the code for the "control" menu.
When you say you can not change from 6-buttons to any other, is that you can not move the cursor (gun) or when you try to select it just does not do it, and if so does any sound (the sound when you select something or the sound of "error" for example, when trying to select another episode that is not the first). Knowing this, I will have a better idea of ​​what is happening. Thank you.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:02 pm

It's working now... I hate issues like this. It doesn't work until you are asked for specific details, then it works fine. :lol:

When it didn't work, you could move the cursor (the gun), but pressing A did nothing at all.

Perhaps this is a slight issue with detecting the mouse on startup? Most of the time it works, but maybe once in a great while it doesn't detect the mouse? Would the mouse option still show if it didn't detect the mouse? Or does it disappear from the list?

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:44 pm

Chilly Willy wrote:It's working now... I hate issues like this. It doesn't work until you are asked for specific details, then it works fine. :lol:
So it seems that only sometimes fails, well that's very strange and harder to understand. :?
Chilly Willy wrote:When it didn't work, you could move the cursor (the gun), but pressing A did nothing at all.
It seems that was not "reading" the A and C buttons (I imagine the B (back) button works).
Chilly Willy wrote:Perhaps this is a slight issue with detecting the mouse on startup? Most of the time it works, but maybe once in a great while it doesn't detect the mouse? Would the mouse option still show if it didn't detect the mouse? Or does it disappear from the list?
If the mouse is not present at startup, could not choose it in the menu, I'd be on the list, but you can not choose it.

I can only think of an error related to the "reading" of the pad, I'll make some changes, but it will be hard to know if it will be good, since apparently, it seems that the error occurs very rarely. :?

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:22 am

The B button worked, just not A or C. The mouse was in the list, but not selectable with A or C. It's a rare thing, so I'm not sure what you can do to fix it. :?

Given how rare it is, I wouldn't worry overmuch about it. Now to add lightgun support! :lol:

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:53 am

I think you're right, I'm not going to worry too much about this error, but I did a little modification, just in case. :)

But I found a bug, when the game is saved and when you load the game again, the buttons on the mouse are changed, because I forgot to add that the configuration of mouse buttons (which by now is fixed) must be also saved. :oops:

Lightgun support... well, I'm just trying to imagine how it would be. :lol:
but seriously, one day I'd really like to do something with the lightgun (not for Wolf3D of course).

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:37 am

gasega68k wrote:Lightgun support... well, I'm just trying to imagine how it would be. :lol:
but seriously, one day I'd really like to do something with the lightgun (not for Wolf3D of course).
That was indeed a bit of a joke. I think a "protect the castle" kind of game would do well as a lightgun game. Most just have you move the joystick to aim up and down as the hordes get closer. Using a lightgun to aim would be a bit more like having an analog stick for aiming, or the mouse.