wolfenstein demo for sega genesis

Announce (tech) demos or games releases

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:51 am

Hello everyone.
About the error mentioned by ICEKnight and twosixonetwo, I tried it on real hardware and actually did not work, I was on Saturday night and most of Sunday trying to figure out why this was happening, and after many attempts (no exaggeration, I think I did over 40 tests) was finally able to fix it. At first I thought that was something related to the H-int, but really it was the code (init code) to clear the RAM, for some reason is not working, I realized this because as I said before, in this method I use a small buffer to store tilehit, texture and wallheight per column, the mistake was that when I store the variable "tilehit" did in "byte", but when I read it back, did in "Word" I did this because I supposed that the high byte of the word was zero. And this caused the error because this variable indicates which texture is going to read, and when tilehit loaded with a value that was not right (the high byte of the word contained something other than zero), it tried to read from an unknown address (perhaps in an area "prohibited"). This was fixed by simply adding "Andi.w # $ 00ff ....", but to be sure it was for that, I add a little code to clear this small buffer before and also worked. I think this did not happen in the emulators (or most) because the RAM is initialized to zero (that's what I think).
Here is the fixed version: :)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/7popo ... _hintb.rar

twosixonetwo
Very interested

Post by twosixonetwo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:44 am

Oh well, I didn't read ICEknights post before commenting...
The new version works great! FPS were very stable (18-23 FPS on 50Hz; 15-20 FPS on 60Hz). I also think that the new dithering method works very well. Its obvious how it works, and it has its limits, but when standing still it looks a lot better than static dithering (at least on a crt).

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:33 am

Well done for having fixing it gasega68k :D bug like this are very difficult to trace ! Did the fix has any penalty on final rendering speed compared to your previous code ?

Gigasoft
Very interested

Post by Gigasoft » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:33 pm

Well, you're only clearing $ff0000-$ffe000 at the start. Any reason for that?

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:43 pm

Stef wrote:Well done for having fixing it gasega68k :D bug like this are very difficult to trace ! Did the fix has any penalty on final rendering speed compared to your previous code ?
No, the speed is the same, because that little buffer is cleared at the beginning before using it, rather than adding the "andi.w" to the code. :)

Gigasoft wrote:Well, you're only clearing $ff0000-$ffe000 at the start. Any reason for that?
Incredibly that's something I had not noticed, this is a piece of code that I use in almost all demos/projects that I do, and I had not even noticed that the RAM was not completely cleared, and of course this was the cause of the problem from the beginning. :oops:

In a few hours I'll be posting the latest version with the old method (to implement the new method, I have to change many things). This version already has the Final Boss of the Episode, also the final sequence of the episode, also now to access the screen to select level, it must be an exact sequence of buttons on a particular screen, so now to play in all levels you will have to pass them one by one. :lol:

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:25 am

New version available.
This version already has the final boss of the episode, and the ending sequence and the music, so it's finally complete the first episode. :)
Also did some optimizations (though it's nothing compared to what will be seen in the next version).
Also fix a bug (I think it was mentioned by inu), where some objects disappear, this only happened in the levels where there are more than 300 objects (eg Level 2) for a mistake I made in a variable, this happened when you got near the end and then you were coming back near the beginning of the level.
In the next version I will implement all optimizations that had already thought of before, and also the new method using h-int. :)
Here is the new version:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/39dit ... f3d_b8.rar

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:22 pm

Excellent ! Thanks for this version, finally a 100% complete first episode, well done :)
Also i'm impatient to see the next version including all the optimizations stuff :) I think that will bring you to something between 15 and 20 FPS ! The i was wondering if you have some plans about eventually enlarge the screen size ? Not sure that is possible through (running out of RAM or because of the code structure).

twosixonetwo
Very interested

Post by twosixonetwo » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:49 pm

Nice to see the quick progress!
While playing the new version (on real console) I encountered a bug, though I have no idea what might have caused it. While shooting a guard the game went straight to the title screen, and some part of the sound was hanging (I guess the PSG)...

inu
Very interested

Post by inu » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:09 pm

Awesome update, as usual, even tho it doesn't yet include the major FPS bump.
And other than the bit of garbage above the "Score" and "Health" I've finished the whole Episode without any issues! (Using BizHawk - Genesis Plus GX r580.)
gasega68k wrote:Also fix a bug (I think it was mentioned by inu), where some objects disappear, this only happened in the levels where there are more than 300 objects (eg Level 2) for a mistake I made in a variable, this happened when you got near the end and then you were coming back near the beginning of the level.
Yeah, I've mentioned it in another post, and even included a video, but then later edited that whole part out, as I thought it was just an emulator thing... as it didn't happen with the other emulator. *facepalm*
Just glad you got to see it before I got rid of it.

The only thing I have to add after beating the whole Episode, is that it would be nice to have an option to change the player default walk\run behavior.
To lets say... Default Walk\Default Run\Toogle; as 99% of the time we're just holding "B" to run.

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:27 am

Stef wrote:Excellent ! Thanks for this version, finally a 100% complete first episode, well done :)
Also i'm impatient to see the next version including all the optimizations stuff :) I think that will bring you to something between 15 and 20 FPS ! The i was wondering if you have some plans about eventually enlarge the screen size ? Not sure that is possible through (running out of RAM or because of the code structure).
Well, although the possibility of enlarging the screen size may still be possible, because there is still space in RAM for this, but right now I do not know if I have to use it on something else.
twosixonetwo wrote:Nice to see the quick progress!
While playing the new version (on real console) I encountered a bug, though I have no idea what might have caused it. While shooting a guard the game went straight to the title screen, and some part of the sound was hanging (I guess the PSG)...
Ok, the error that you mentioned has ever happened to me (and maybe to anyone else?), I am concerned, this has happened again, or just one time?
inu wrote:And other than the bit of garbage above the "Score" and "Health" I've finished the whole Episode without any issues! (Using BizHawk - Genesis Plus GX r580.)
This error happened all the time when you finished, and had not noticed it, well, now it is fixed. :)
On the picture you show, I know you played in an easy difficulty, you should try it on the maximum difficulty. :wink:

inu
Very interested

Post by inu » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:21 pm

gasega68k wrote:On the picture you show, I know you played in an easy difficulty, you should try it on the maximum difficulty. :wink:
And with a bit of emulation magic...
Playing without save-states on the last difficulty would be crazy >.<
Sometimes they kill us with only 2 bullets.

cleeg
Interested

Post by cleeg » Wed May 07, 2014 10:04 am

Having never completed this game I'm looking forward to the final version. I'm going to save it for then so I get the full experience!

Keep up the great work.

inu
Very interested

Post by inu » Thu May 08, 2014 12:48 am

Nice, a new video. And nicely played on that difficulty. :P
You were probably gonna mention the video in your next post, but after watching, it reminded me of something I completely forgot to mention before.

At 08:43, what's the deal with the dog barking as you're shooting that SS officer? xD

Also, and even tho I don't really care about this detail as it wasn't in the original edition as far as I can remember, are you planing on adding the ricochet noise when we shoot closed or closing doors?

Rob55Levo

Post by Rob55Levo » Thu May 08, 2014 1:26 am

This probably a stupid question but do you think you'll ever be able to include the other chapters? or would ID be dicks about it? Having the full game would be a lot of work I imagine but it would be awesome! its just a shame that now that everything seems to be running perfectly the rest of the game couldn't be added

inu
Very interested

Post by inu » Thu May 08, 2014 2:39 am

Rob55Levo wrote:This probably a stupid question but do you think you'll ever be able to include the other chapters? or would ID be dicks about it? Having the full game would be a lot of work I imagine but it would be awesome! its just a shame that now that everything seems to be running perfectly the rest of the game couldn't be added
*hint* Read the whole thread. It has been answered before. ;)
Just answering ahead of a possible gasega64k reply, because it sounds like you're reaching a few premature or uninformed conclusions.

"Wolfenstein 3D" belongs to Bethesda now by the way, and they allow everyone to play the 3 first chapters here with no catch.

The next chapter has new mobs, new sound tracks and new wall textures, and since gasega64k does this little project in his free time, it's gonna take a while until something like that can happen.
Beta 8 came out just ~13 days ago, and we already know Beta 9 is gonna be focused on adding new engine improvements, and a new experimental "video mode" people can activate for "improved quality" when using SCART RGB or S-Video.

He can probably answer better, but I wouldn't expect this project to be concluded anytime soon (likely still gonna take many months).
Plus, I find one of the things that makes this project so mind blowing and interesting is his search for "perfection", by constantly polishing and improving his custom engine, and that always takes a long time.