Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:11 pm

By the way, here are the sources code for interested :

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/93332624/dev/m ... ple_src.7z

MetalliC
Interested

Post by MetalliC » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:13 pm

was confirmed last 4mb version already works fine on MD3 clone.
also was confirmed 8mb version (not the latest one) works OK on MD2 NTSC-J and MD2 PAL with Mega Everdrive
NTSC video
PAL video

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:33 pm

Yeah, i just noticed the youtube video with Mega Everdrive... maybe it depends from the everdrive firmware version ?
The last 8MB version still should work, i made a minor change only.
The sound quality is not really good on the MD2 :-/

bobthebuilder
Interested

Post by bobthebuilder » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:47 pm

Stef wrote: Can you read the text ? or is it all garbled ? someone else with a mega everdrive reported me that text was ok but then it crashs when he pressed start (he also got some weird sound).
I'm afraid the Z80 cannot read > 4MB range... i should try a version without sound to test if that is the problem.
Occasionally it is readable. Sometimes the music will start briefly after pressing start with the screen showing a mess on screen, but the music is distorted and sounds like it keeps repeating the same portion over. This is a rare occurrence about ~1/50 tries. Most of the time the file starts on a garbled screen or less frequently the error message I previously mentioned. Imgur.com is over capacity at the moment, but I will upload some images of the screens if it will help.

I will try the newest link and see if there is any difference.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:47 pm

Stef wrote:By the way, here are the sources code for interested :

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/93332624/dev/m ... ple_src.7z
I'm sure some folks will find it handy. The more source available, the easier it will be for people trying to do homebrew.
8)

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:58 pm

bobthebuilder wrote: Occasionally it is readable. Sometimes the music will start briefly after pressing start with the screen showing a mess on screen, but the music is distorted and sounds like it keeps repeating the same portion over. This is a rare occurrence about ~1/50 tries. Most of the time the file starts on a garbled screen or less frequently the error message I previously mentioned. Imgur.com is over capacity at the moment, but I will upload some images of the screens if it will help.

I will try the newest link and see if there is any difference.
Ok, test a tons for the tests ! What is weird is that apparently some people get it to work on Mega Everdrive (youtube link) but it was with a MD2.. don't know if that make any difference. Also are you using the lastest Mega Everdrive firmware ? maybe your is not compatible with 10 MB rom ? or all Mega Everdrive should be compatible ?

bobthebuilder
Interested

Post by bobthebuilder » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:48 am

I got some good news and bad news. I pulled out my model 2's and the 8 MB demo runs just fine on them :) , just not the original model one :( . So the mystery is partially solved, the demo may just not be compatible with a model one (Either that or the Mega Everdrive does something different depending on MD model).

Mega everdrive Firmware 4
Mega everdrive OS 5

P.S. Just for fun I am going to see what happens on the Firecore genesis.

P.P.S. The Firecore can play the 4 MB demos just fine, but as expected it does not run the 8 MB demo.

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:30 am

Yeah i got the same report on the sega16 forum :-/
It's a good and bad news at same time indeed. I think the MD1 has some restrictions on mapping for the 0x400000-0x800000 region.
Can you test this version on your MD1 ?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/93332624/dev/m ... _nosnd.bin

It doesn't contains sound and Z80 should not make any external access.

bobthebuilder
Interested

Post by bobthebuilder » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:57 pm

No change with the no sound version. :( Here is an actual picture of the error message that occasionally shows up.
Last edited by bobthebuilder on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:15 pm

bobthebuilder wrote:No change with the no sound version. :( Here is actual picture of the error message that occasional shows up Picture
Thanks for testing ! Oh well, so it just looks like > 4 MB range cannot be directly rom mapped on MD1 :-/
Do you have tested any of this > 4MB rom on your MD1 using the mega everdrive. I speak about direct mapped rom, not bank switched ones (as SSF2).
Trilogy Mortal kombat 3 hack on MD is one of this rom if i remember correctly.
Last edited by Stef on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobthebuilder
Interested

Post by bobthebuilder » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:08 pm

Here is an album of the pictures I had taken of the 8 MB demo on the model 1.

I tried Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy and I was able to fight for a few seconds and then it failed. Looks like the model one (or mega everdrive) is not compatible :( . Here is a picture of the error, it was slightly more informative.

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:07 pm

Ok, thanks for tests again.
Well the system seems to completely crash !
About UMKT, if you were able to play a bit, i guess the game is actually working, the blue screen you obtained is probably just a game bug (i know UMKT has some), i guess you can get it on the MD2 too.
Can you compare UMKT execution on both your MD1 or MD2 to see if there is real difference ?

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:21 pm

Actually, almost assuredly ALL the code for UMKT is in the first four megs, and most of the initial data. You probably need to call up later stages and characters to hit data in the upper 6 megs.

bobthebuilder
Interested

Post by bobthebuilder » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:53 pm

Stef wrote: Can you compare UMKT execution on both your MD1 or MD2 to see if there is real difference ?
I will compare them tomorrow, when I return back to my house from this business trip I am currently on. :)

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:53 pm

Ok thanks :) but as Chilly Willy said, the code may be in the first 4MB and only some stage data are located in problematic MB, unlike BadApple where all SGDK lib code is located at the end of the rom for instance. So maybe the MD1 just do not support > 4MB mapped game. But then, can it be corrected with the mega everdrive firmware ? I know Krill use a specific mapping for large rom but i guess he at least tested it on a MD1.