Post by zhengyaxin_8bit » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:35 am

After read the topic viewtopic.php?t=755&highlight=mario
I hope I can do this too! :D
Hi friends, Please give me some advice,Tell me,first what I can do,
and second........

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:48 am

Learn the NES hardware very well, perhaps?

zhengyaxin_8bit
Very interested

Post by zhengyaxin_8bit » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:49 pm

Shiru wrote:Learn the NES hardware very well, perhaps?
I'm very clear Nes hardware , I used 6502 assemble language for nes ten years old :)

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:38 pm

Well, if you know the NES hardware well, know SMD hardware too, and you are a good programmer (I guess so), I don't really see what kind of help you need.

I mean, the whole idea is to make a tool that'll translate original (disassembled) 6502 code into 68000 code, then manually replace HW-dependent parts of code with your own, is pretty clear. I think you even can translate the 6502 code into C, it may still work fast enough for some games.

The above is related to the Mario SMD port, which is a binary code-level port - a semi-manual process that requires a lot of work for every game. If you want to make a general NES emulator, it is about the same as for every other platform, but you shouldn't expect any playable speed - it was attempted before, proved to be doable, but works very slow.

Mairtrus

Post by Mairtrus » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:22 pm

This reminds me that I need to clean-up and release all my tools and code, as I have been promising during the last two years. :oops:

By the way, is not that difficult to port a NES game over the MD. I tried to port some other disassembled games, but the only who worked was Nuts & Milk, and that's only because it doesn't abuse of the carry flag. Probably if I had taken more than a few days for each one, I would have done it with Ice Climbers and Excite Bike...

About a NES emulator, well, I wrote one using a lot of recicled code from those projects. It runs almost every non-mapper game (except Pac-Man, which, for some reason, refuses to boot, and Galaga, who worked on very early states of the emulator, and now, in the "alpha" version, it doesn't) at about 8-10 fps. I ported it to the Sega-CD, but I definitely don't understand it at all, since it runs at the same speed, with a lot of graphical glitches (the S68K runs the 6502 emulator, while the M68K runs the I/O).

zhengyaxin_8bit
Very interested

Post by zhengyaxin_8bit » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:57 am

I have some question as follows:
1. if to write a new tool for port a NES game over the MD,Maybe spend some time,and it don't better than Mairtrus's :oops:
2.For music part, I think it's difficult for me,Though I worked many years
for nes and md,
3.A lots of nes game,like contra, super mario3, double dragon II used mapper 4, how to explain them? super mario,Ice Climbers ,Excite Bike
is just mapper 0 (32K+8K or 16K+8k),they don't need use bank and IRQ

mic_
Very interested

Post by mic_ » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:36 pm

For pretty much all of your questions the answer is: find out what it is that the original game code is trying to do - how it does it isn't that important - then try to find a way of accomplishing the same result (or something that is close enough) on the Genesis. So it sounds that you still need to do some more research on the NES and the Genesis.

For example, take your question about MMC3 IRQs. What you should be asking yourself is "What is this game actually using the IRQ for? Ok, it's triggering an IRQ at scanline N to change the horizontal scrolling and create a split-screen effect. Can I achieve the same thing with the Genesis VDP somehow?" etc

zhengyaxin_8bit
Very interested

Post by zhengyaxin_8bit » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:58 pm

Mairtrus wrote:This reminds me that I need to clean-up and release all my tools and code, as I have been promising during the last two years. :oops:
Hello Mairtrus, what's time you will release some tool or experience to here? :lol:
That will be very usefull help for everybody interested

Mairtrus

Post by Mairtrus » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:55 pm

zhengyaxin_8bit wrote:
Mairtrus wrote:This reminds me that I need to clean-up and release all my tools and code, as I have been promising during the last two years. :oops:
Hello Mairtrus, what's time you will release some tool or experience to here? :lol:
I have two finals in the next ten days, and after that, I will release everything (this time for real, I swear :D ). For keep the hype as high as possible, here is an standalone version of my NES emulator. Just append a mapper 0 game at the end, and enjoy it in your favourite emulator (like everything I do in assembler, doesn't work in RH for some reason).

zhengyaxin_8bit
Very interested

Post by zhengyaxin_8bit » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:05 pm

Mairtrus wrote:
zhengyaxin_8bit wrote:
I have two finals in the next ten days, and after that, I will release everything (this time for real, I swear :D ). For keep the hype as high as possible, here is an standalone version of my NES emulator. Just append a mapper 0 game at the end, and enjoy it in your favourite emulator (like everything I do in assembler, doesn't work in RH for some reason).
Wow! This announcement greatly excited me! :lol:
I have download NeMul.bin,but I can't open this by Gens emulator. :?:

Moon-Watcher
Very interested

Post by Moon-Watcher » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:24 am

zhengyaxin_8bit wrote:
Mairtrus wrote:
zhengyaxin_8bit wrote: Hello Mairtrus, what's time you will release some tool or experience to here? :lol:
Wow! This announcement greatly excited me! :lol:

I downloaded, build and packed all mapper 0 roms (source http://tuxnes.sourceforge.net/nesmapper.txt) in a single file https://www.box.com/s/162a4f89a1a64539765a

Congrats, Mairtrus. Your emu works great!

Christuserloeser
Very interested

Post by Christuserloeser » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:43 am

Mairtrus wrote:For keep the hype as high as possible, here is an standalone version of my NES emulator. Just append a mapper 0 game at the end, and enjoy it in your favourite emulator
Wow! :shock:
zhengyaxin_8bit wrote:Wow! This announcement greatly excited me! :lol:
You have to append a ".nes" file to "NeMul.bin".

...or download this package:
Moon-Watcher wrote:I downloaded, build and packed all mapper 0 roms (source http://tuxnes.sourceforge.net/nesmapper.txt) in a single file https://www.box.com/s/162a4f89a1a64539765a
http://www.DCEvolution.net - Gigabytes of free Dreamcast software for you

haroldoop
Very interested

Post by haroldoop » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:29 am

It's a bit on the slow side (hey what did you expect?), but still a very cool achievement.

Mixail
Very interested

Post by Mixail » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:57 pm

Moon-Watcher wrote: I downloaded, build and packed all mapper 0 roms (source http://tuxnes.sourceforge.net/nesmapper.txt) in a single file https://www.box.com/s/162a4f89a1a64539765a

Congrats, Mairtrus. Your emu works great!
This games doesn't work at hardware.

Mairtrus can you make the converter (emulator) of SMS to SMD?

zhengyaxin_8bit
Very interested

Post by zhengyaxin_8bit » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:58 pm

Christuserloeser wrote:
Mairtrus wrote:For keep the hype as high as possible, here is an standalone version of my NES emulator. Just append a mapper 0 game at the end, and enjoy it in your favourite emulator
Wow! :shock:
zhengyaxin_8bit wrote:Wow! This announcement greatly excited me! :lol:
You have to append a ".nes" file to "NeMul.bin".

...or download this package:
Moon-Watcher wrote:I downloaded, build and packed all mapper 0 roms (source http://tuxnes.sourceforge.net/nesmapper.txt) in a single file https://www.box.com/s/162a4f89a1a64539765a
Yes,I can look it now!Great work! How to improve the play speed?