Tänzer, a "ninja" game (Dev Diary thread)

Announce (tech) demos or games releases

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

Stef
Very interested

Re: Tänzer, a "ninja" game (Dev Diary thread)

Post by Stef » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:59 am

Haha, it was easy to fix this time hopefully just for a title screen ;)

tryphon
Very interested

Post by tryphon » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:23 pm

It may be not the best place to say that, but I take advantage of writing here to say that I really like this project, very arcade-ish. I read elsewhere critics about not-so detailled animations, I personnally think many games are too well animated, resulting in too slow controls. For this game, I don't see it as a weakness.

It reminds me Chelnov, in a Shadow of the Beast style, with Mystic Defenders explosions :)

mix256
Very interested

Post by mix256 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:16 pm

Stef wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:59 am
Haha, it was easy to fix this time hopefully just for a title screen ;)
It happens in-game as well. Is there anyway for me to jack into the vint? So I can do the color cycle first?
tryphon wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:23 pm
It may be not the best place to say that, but I take advantage of writing here to say that I really like this project, very arcade-ish. I read elsewhere critics about not-so detailled animations, I personnally think many games are too well animated, resulting in too slow controls. For this game, I don't see it as a weakness.

It reminds me Chelnov, in a Shadow of the Beast style, with Mystic Defenders explosions :)
Thanks! This is the best place to write anything. :)

I want the animations redone because the character could be better defined and the animation poses could be more imaginative. For instance, the slash anim is just stiff and plain ugly. What if the character did a spin and actually showed some real slash action.
I've hired someone to give it a try. Might not work out, but at least I'm trying.

And yes, those explosions are almost a frame by frame copy of the Mystic Defender ones. I'm almost ashamed. :)

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:45 pm

mix256 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:16 pm
It happens in-game as well. Is there anyway for me to jack into the vint? So I can do the color cycle first?
You have 2 user VInt callback handlers in SGDK, one is called after "SGDK works", the other is called at the very beginning of the VInt (the method is something as SYS_setPreVintCB(..)). That should help you in tracing where starts VInt process at least and where it ends :)

mix256
Very interested

Post by mix256 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:02 pm

Stef wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:45 pm
mix256 wrote:
You have 2 user VInt callback handlers in SGDK, one is called after "SGDK works", the other is called at the very beginning of the VInt (the method is something as SYS_setPreVintCB(..)). That should help you in tracing where starts VInt process at least and where it ends :)
Ah, of course it was in SYS. Thanks! :)

mix256
Very interested

Post by mix256 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:54 am

Now playing around with a how-to flyer for the demo, heavily inspired by the Osman one.
Going to be hard to crank in crouch-drop, pickups and general movement. :)

tryphon
Very interested

Post by tryphon » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:05 am

mix256 wrote:
And yes, those explosions are almost a frame by frame copy of the Mystic Defender ones. I'm almost ashamed. :)
You shouldn't. It shows you have good taste :)

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:54 pm

Dang! That video capture is sweeeeet!

mix256
Very interested

Post by mix256 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:45 pm

tryphon wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:05 am
mix256 wrote:
You shouldn't. It shows you have good taste :)
:)
Chilly Willy wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:54 pm
Dang! That video capture is sweeeeet!
Thanks!
Was going to say I bought a scanline-generator so the next video will be even cooler, when I remembered it's a VGA one and it's going to be sitting after the capture card in the chain. Doh!

mix256
Very interested

Post by mix256 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:37 pm

Again, time freakin' flies.

The demo cartridges, labels and the shipping of them have now all been paid for. So the physical part of it is now out of my hands.

Working on finishing the "how-to flyer" now, will hopefully complete that during this week end. Having trouble with the layout of it, there are a lot more I want crammed into it. :)
If I find a way to deliver them without them getting broken and not too expensive, I'll send them to he backers that opted in for demo + final, firstly. All backers will get it digitally, though.

The scanline generator I ordered isn't working properly with my retroad. Could be that the generator is faulty as well, though.

Next weekend me and Johan, the musician, will get together in a cabin and do some battle to determine some final design issues and just play the game, loads.

Game wise, apart from finishing the September demo, I've started on the backgrounds for the pirates and ninja levels. The set pieces for those levels aren't decided yet. I know there will be a row boat part in an early stage in the pirate level, because it's already in, but apart from that not much are set in stone.
One stage of the ninja level is going to be a homage to Ninja Spirit. \o/

Need to tone down the saturation but I'll leave it like this for the time being. Working with desaturated colors just make you depressive, so the change will be made really late. :)

mix256
Very interested

Post by mix256 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:18 am

It's been three month since the last update. Almost Paprium class...

No real updates no, dev is progressing at a steady pace.
All stages are in, so you could say I'm in the tweaking and polishing phase when it comes to game play. \o/

Recently added both the stage select screen and the level progress screen.
As it is now, you play the first level then you get to select which one of level 2 and 3 you want to tackle first. When you played those two you get to select between the next two (4,5) etc.
Between each level you also get to see a "progress" map, showing year and location.

The demo carts, except one, has been delivered. And I just got his address now as well, so I'll ship that one today.

Here's a small collage:

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:08 am

Wow that looks amazing !! Take your time, i'm more that happy with the current level of progress and also really happy to have backed your project :)

mix256
Very interested

Post by mix256 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:05 am

Thanks Stef! I still need a SGDK logo for the vanity screens. :)

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:00 am

Hehe thanks :p I received a simple but nice SGDK logo, i will try to replace current logo with this one soon :)

mix256
Very interested

Post by mix256 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:18 am

Awesome! :)
I still need to do my own vanity logo. Got one from the music guy the other week.