wolfenstein demo for sega genesis

Announce (tech) demos or games releases

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

inu
Very interested

Post by inu » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:44 am

Thank you for the continued updates on your awesome project gasega68k!

Been holding back on placing a comment on the new music, in order to properly appreciate the MD\Gen version of the songs. And they are indeed pretty good! Every track was well converted, just with a MD\Gen 16-bit'y style to it. Totally worth the wait to get that out of the way.

The menus also feel very well adapted so far! That mid-stop of the DOS version, every time you wanted to move from option to option, was a bit too annoying. It's nice to see the menus are fast and easy to navigate, while keeping most crucial iconic parts intact; the little gun-cursor, the chapter icons, and the red theme.
While it doesn't feel like it was necessary to "hide" the levels selection behind a secret menu, as the original (browser version at least) doesn't do it, it's not a bother at all, as it's super easy to access if we really want to.

And of course, it sure feels nice to see those soldiers come to life and shooting the crap out of our character while keeping the game running at 12-15fps the vast majority of the time! :D

Regarding the button topic ICEknight brought up... gasega68k already mentioned in another forum that he was considering adding a button mapper to the game someday.
Personally I like the current mapping. I have long fingers, so reaching for the button closer to the edge is always the hardest. But I'll add it would be nice if Start just paused.

Ay, but I'm not done until I mentioned some quite minor bugs I found. (that i will edit out when they're fixed most likely) :P
If you get too close to the soldiers, they can actually move "closer" to you and get you stuck in them. Shooting (killing) them solves the problem, but just mentioning it as it wouldn't be so nice if it happened on a boss or something.
Leaving A pressed in the menu, and then taping Up makes it behave a bit funny.
Last edited by inu on Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ICEknight
Very interested

Post by ICEknight » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:40 pm

inu wrote:The menus also feel very well adapted so far! That mid-stop of the DOS version, every time you wanted to move from option to option, was a bit too annoying.
I was actually about to suggest him to add that mid-stop when selecting options. It was pretty unique and was the only thing I missed from the original menus... (tuh-tup, tuh-tup) :cry:
Personally I like the current mapping. I have long fingers, so reaching for the button closer to the edge is always the hardest. But I'll add it would be nice if Start just paused.
But you can't strafe while shooting with these default settings... Having it mapped to the B button allows you to both shoot while strafing or while running.

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:43 pm

Wow, this port has really come together! It's been great watching you gradually develop it and get everything working. I honestly wouldn't have thought it was possible to do such a good port of this game on the Mega Drive. You definitely deserve a lot of recognition for this, and I agree with what someone said earlier, you should drop John Carmack a line when you're ready, I'm sure he'd love to see this.

buricco
Interested

Post by buricco » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:03 pm

I figured it was possible, but didn't expect it to run so well.

I know someone who hacked the source to make it run on a stock 8088 so long as a VGA was installed; it ran but was slower than mud. That said, I think the official minimum requirement was a 286/8? And 68000 is closer to a 386SX than a 286, so I suppose it makes sense it runs well on a 7 MHz 68000.

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:14 am

Thank you all for your comments. :)
The palette fade routines was something that I had forgotten to do, this is very necessary to know when a shot has given you. I will add this, and also I will correct the bugs you mentioned inu, I will also add the routine when the player dies, when he turns to face the attacker.
inu wrote:Been holding back on placing a comment on the new music, in order to properly appreciate the MD\Gen version of the songs. And they are indeed pretty good! Every track was well converted, just with a MD\Gen 16-bit'y style to it. Totally worth the wait to get that out of the way.
Some of the musics I made a little different , I download a lot of midis and mp3 , and some seemed to me it sounded better than the original and I did more similar to these (eg the song that plays on the secret level ) but most tried to make them as similar as possible to the original .

About ... tuh-tup, at least could be just the sound?
About the buttons, I'm considering changing to that to enter the menu with only the Start button, and change weapon could be in two ways: C or B + Start, or Start with up, down left or right to directly select one of four.
To shoot with B or A, I'll add the option to configure the buttons.
I will do everything I mentioned, before continuing with the other enemies, because I still have to draw them (or rather "convert"). :wink:

cleeg
Interested

Why have I only just noticed this?

Post by cleeg » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:14 am

Hello, this is my first post here, and the first time I've seen the site - lame I know. I post a bit on Sega 16 and can see a few people from there are also posting here too.

I only ever played this game once back when it was first out, back at a friend's house and since then have only played Chilly Willy's 32X version (very good it is too).

I ALWAYS wanted to play this game on my Nomad which is where I do most of my MD gaming given that the TV is often in use. Had a go on the latest demo last night, and it's brilliant - very smooth with great sound and music (Played on Kega). I hope it goes through to completion, as what there is so far is like an actual proper release.

I did a review a few years back for Bloodshot on Sega 16, and while I gave that a 7 / 10 score I'm now thinking it was a bit high given the quality on show here. I only found this after I got a bug for finding homebrew games and thought "What if someone did this..?"

Well, they did, and it's great!

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:42 am

cleeg wrote:Hello, this is my first post here, and the first time I've seen the site - lame I know. I post a bit on Sega 16 and can see a few people from there are also posting here too.

I only ever played this game once back when it was first out, back at a friend's house and since then have only played Chilly Willy's 32X version (very good it is too).

I ALWAYS wanted to play this game on my Nomad which is where I do most of my MD gaming given that the TV is often in use. Had a go on the latest demo last night, and it's brilliant - very smooth with great sound and music (Played on Kega). I hope it goes through to completion, as what there is so far is like an actual proper release.

I did a review a few years back for Bloodshot on Sega 16, and while I gave that a 7 / 10 score I'm now thinking it was a bit high given the quality on show here. I only found this after I got a bug for finding homebrew games and thought "What if someone did this..?"

Well, they did, and it's great!
Thanks, and welcome!, If you want to know something about programming, projects and demos for Sega Genesis/Megadrive , this is where you should look first. :wink:

I've been working on other enemies (by drawing), but meanwhile I will show a new version. I've added the option "Control" to select the type of control and configure, plus I made some changes here, first, to enter the menu, will now only the Start Button, and to configure the controls, these are the options:
For Controller 3 buttons can only be assigned A, B, or C, to Run, Fire, or Open, Open will always be with Strafe, and Weapon will be Run + Start, ie, if Run is assigned to button A, then it will be A + Start, if assigned to the B button, then it will be B + Start, etc..
For the 6 button controller, you can assign A, B, C, X, Y, Z and M (mode) for any of the 5 actions: Run, Fire, Open, Strafe and Weapon.
When you start the game will be in mode 3 buttons, I do not know if it would be better to automatically chose the 6-Button mode if present.
Also added routines for "palette shift", which is used when the player takes damage (shift to red) and when you grab an item (shift to white / yellow), I've also added the routine so that when the player dies, it turns to look at the attacker, I also corrected some errors that had mentioned inu, and by the way, I want to thank you for always being aware of the errors. :)
Here is the version 6.3:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9zgty ... o_b6.3.rar

I wanted to show this version to see if the code for 6-Button Control is working properly, so if anyone has problems with the 6-Button Control , you can tell me. :)

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:54 am

It is possible to autodetect 6 buttons. When you change TH there's a point when some returned bits are 0000 and 1111, that never happens on 3 buttoners.

Button remapping works great and the palette changes are awesome !
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

cleeg
Interested

6 Button controller, Nomad

Post by cleeg » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:49 pm

HARDWARE TESTS - EQUIPMENT USED
============== ==============

EverDrive V1 Flash cart, ROM - b6.3

Sega Nomad with region and Hz mod wired to the Select switch (can be disabled by holding the button when powering on, enabling the select button's normal use)

Works well with 3 button controller selected, plays properly (nice improvements over the last ROM); though when selecting 6 buttons the game hangs, also the music pauses and continually plays the note at which it was stopped.

I've disabled the region mod as above and still the same result. I'll try this later on my MegaDrive (PAL machine, same mod as the Nomad, only mapped to the reset switch, cannot be disabled), and when I have time to unscrew my Mega Everdrive I'll try it on this.

EDIT - I tried it on my PAL MD with the same results.

Hope this helps.

cleeg
Interested

Post by cleeg » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:49 pm

HARDWARE TESTS - EQUIPMENT USED
============== ==============

Mega EverDrive Flash cart, OS 8, FW 6, ROM - b6.3

Sega Nomad with region and Hz mod wired to the Select switch (can be disabled by holding the button when powering on, enabling the select button's normal use)

Same results as last time, all the same things tried. Only tried on the Nomad.

cleeg
Interested

Post by cleeg » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:51 pm

TmEE co.(TM) wrote:It is possible to autodetect 6 buttons. When you change TH there's a point when some returned bits are 0000 and 1111, that never happens on 3 buttoners.

Button remapping works great and the palette changes are awesome !
What did you test on TmEE? I've had no success with anything 6 buttoned.

Hello by the way!

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:09 pm

cleeg wrote:Works well with 3 button controller selected, plays properly (nice improvements over the last ROM); though when selecting 6 buttons the game hangs, also the music pauses and continually plays the note at which it was stopped.
This happens in the control menu or during the game?

cleeg
Interested

Post by cleeg » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:37 pm

It happens as soon as I press 'A' at the 6 button pad option.

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:18 pm

cleeg wrote:It happens as soon as I press 'A' at the 6 button pad option.
I'm trying to find out where the error, so I need to know if this also happens if you press A at the option of 3-Buttons, and if the configuration of the buttons work in 3-button mode.

cleeg
Interested

Post by cleeg » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:31 pm

When I navigate to the controller menu I can press 'A' at the 3 button selection without trouble, it makes the appropriate noise and allows me to make any further changes to the 3 buttons.

It is only when I press 'A' at the 6 button selection that the game hangs as I documented earlier.

Hope this is what you need to know :)