Talk about development tools here

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Shiru
Very interested

VGM Music Maker

Post by Shiru » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:38 pm

Download VGM Music Maker v1.1

Note to the v1.0 release:

There is a common saying in my native language, which has meaning like 'you have to wait three years for a promised thing'. Well, it was four years (promised April 10, 2007). It was made in ~10 days, actually, however it was crazy amount of work. The years were needed to fix bugs in the original project, to get idea how to make it, to get in mood to actually do it, etc.

No drivers for the consoles yet. They are planned, but I'm not going to rush with them, until there will be a real need.
Last edited by Shiru on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:00 pm

I don't seem to be able to download it... other downloads from your site do not seem to work either.
I will try again when I get back home from work

EDIT:
I managed to download it at home without problems and so far I have found this :
*With some instruments on the instrument creator tab you get next note sound quiet. You play a note, and then play another and the next note is as quiet as first note was when you hit the new note. Possibly tied with PSG test envelope which seems to be derived form FM ADSR settings...?
*I don't seem to be able to add multiple PCM samples at once like I can do with FM instruments.
*When loading many FM instruments at once I got an access violation error, but the program continued afterwards, all instruments do not get loaded. I don't yet know how many instruments it lets you load at once before giving the error.

In any case this is great, I am sure lot of people will love your work :D
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:36 pm

So this outputs a VGM now? Cool! That's built into the NeoMyth menu - You can play VGMs all the way up to 7MB.

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:57 pm

TmEE, thanks, I'll check/fix all these problems later.

Chilly Willy, so far it is only exports VGM files (besides WAV and TFD). However, check if it works with the NeoMyth player, because it does not work with other one that was discussed on this forum long ago.

Mixail
Very interested

Post by Mixail » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:04 pm

Shiru А можно хоть маленький пример как его использовать в gcc.

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:06 pm

Mixail, there are no players for the consoles yet.

Mixail
Very interested

Post by Mixail » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:44 pm

there are no players for the consoles yet
Ясно, а какой плеер использовать для проигрывания VGM в SMD?

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:00 pm

I have no idea. VGM is not really designed to be played on the console, they are large and take all the CPU time if you need samples support - so they aren't suitable to use in games/demos.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:38 pm

Shiru wrote:TmEE, thanks, I'll check/fix all these problems later.

Chilly Willy, so far it is only exports VGM files (besides WAV and TFD). However, check if it works with the NeoMyth player, because it does not work with other one that was discussed on this forum long ago.
Hmm - it plays slow on the VGM player. What kind of timing does it use?

Also, the vgmmaker has a weird problem in WINE - when you go to export the VGM, it hangs. I had to run it on my laptop in XP to get it to export.

As for player for games, if you were doing a 32X game, it wouldn't matter if the 68000 was mostly playing a VGM. :D

CosmoBuggi
Interested

Post by CosmoBuggi » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:06 am

Yay! If i weren't feeling so mellow right now i would be hopping up and down like a little girl. :P

But great job that it has PSG support as well as DAC support, but how do i get the samples to play on the pattern? I see siz FM and 4 PSGs but no Samples section.

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:46 am

Chilly Willy, when there are samples in exported VGM, 0x61 is used all the way to skip time between sample writes. When samples are disabled, it uses 0x63 to skip frames instead.

CosmoBuggi, there is no dedicated sample channel on YM2612 and in the tracker as well. There is test.vge that demonstrates all the kind of channels in action, and help file if it is still not obvious.

mic_
Very interested

Post by mic_ » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:41 am

when there are samples in exported VGM, 0x61 is used all the way to skip time between sample writes.
Why not 0x8n? Are you playing samples slower than 2756 Hz (i.e. you need to delay longer than 1/(44100/16) seconds between each sample)?

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:11 am

Because it is just v1.0, and because the main conception is to do everything in the simplest possible way, just to make it work somehow.

I thought to use 0x8n, but it is not mentioned in the docs since which version of VGM format these were added, I remember they weren't there in early versions, and the VGM player for SMD I thought of is probably was made before these tags were added into the format (the editor output still does not work with the player).

mic_
Very interested

Post by mic_ » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:35 am

it is not mentioned in the docs since which version of VGM format these were added
I don't know.. Possibly 1.10.
and the VGM player for SMD I thought of is probably
Which one is that? The ones I know of are the one by MIKE-STAMP (stand alone) which you can find here on the forum, and ChillyWilly's (integrated into the Neomyth menu). Both of these should definitely support 0x8n.
I don't know of any other accurate VGM players for the MD.

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:51 am

Where I can found 1.10 specifications? Or, generally, where I can found any older specifications? There is only latest specfication at smspower.org.

The VGM player is Mike-Stamp one.

Edit: Found 1.01 specs in my archives from 2005, and just like I said, no 0x8n tags there. I need to find specs of the oldest version with the tags.
Last edited by Shiru on Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.