DefleMask - A Multi-System Tracker

Talk about development tools here

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

POLYGAMe
Very interested

Post by POLYGAMe » Tue May 07, 2013 11:55 pm

This tool is fantastic! I'll use it for my new (and first) Genny game. Just one thing, though... I can't get samples to play... they are either silent, or a horrible beep... any ideas? I'm probably doing something stupid, as usual :P

EDIT: I got samples playing, it seems you have to activate them... but only on FM channel 06. Is this right? Am I able to play samples on other channels too? I kinda wanna do some SNES style music for my game...

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed May 08, 2013 6:09 pm

The DAC is only on channel 6. There are no other channels capable of PCM.

POLYGAMe
Very interested

Post by POLYGAMe » Wed May 08, 2013 7:36 pm

Chilly Willy wrote:The DAC is only on channel 6. There are no other channels capable of PCM.
Guess I'll have to get good at FM music then, or find some way of compressing complete songs down to tiny files...:p

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed May 08, 2013 10:40 pm

There's a number of threads on playing compressed pcm via the z80. I did a number of cvsd adpcm tests, implemented a compression scheme Tiido defined (it sounds really good), and did another set of examples for AMBTC compressed audio. You might want to download them and give them a listen. As mentioned, Tiido's compression was pretty decent for music.

POLYGAMe
Very interested

Post by POLYGAMe » Wed May 08, 2013 11:40 pm

Chilly Willy wrote:There's a number of threads on playing compressed pcm via the z80. I did a number of cvsd adpcm tests, implemented a compression scheme Tiido defined (it sounds really good), and did another set of examples for AMBTC compressed audio. You might want to download them and give them a listen. As mentioned, Tiido's compression was pretty decent for music.
Okay, sweet. We often talk on Google chat so I'll hit him up for compression info :)

Mamizou
Interested

Post by Mamizou » Thu May 09, 2013 12:50 am

POLYGAMe wrote:I'll use it for my new (and first) Genny game.
SNES-style music on a Genesis? Uh... why? I swear, the 'chiptune' community is way way too Nintendo centric, and specifically the 2a03 for that matter. There's so much other neat hardware out there you can target and get amazing music out of. And not just the Genesis, but like the NeoGeo (OPNB), the PC88/98 and all of its various soundboards, the Master System with the PSG plus OPLL, the countless AY/SSG machines, the SID, stuff like that. Instead of trying to get the Genesis to follow some scene trend, try to learn about FM synthesis and make some really amazing, unique, and ~original~ music.

And don't get me started on the whole '8-bit' thing. Damn scene kids, I tell you what.... grumblegrumble...

kubilus1
Very interested

Post by kubilus1 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:07 am

Check out the sound example that is in the sgdk download. It's got examples for playing sounds in a variety of ways on the Genesis, including some multi-channel PCM stuff. I believe it uses magic to make it happen.

POLYGAMe
Very interested

Post by POLYGAMe » Thu May 09, 2013 2:08 am

Momiji wrote:
POLYGAMe wrote:I'll use it for my new (and first) Genny game.
SNES-style music on a Genesis? Uh... why? I swear, the 'chiptune' community is way way too Nintendo centric, and specifically the 2a03 for that matter. There's so much other neat hardware out there you can target and get amazing music out of. And not just the Genesis, but like the NeoGeo (OPNB), the PC88/98 and all of its various soundboards, the Master System with the PSG plus OPLL, the countless AY/SSG machines, the SID, stuff like that. Instead of trying to get the Genesis to follow some scene trend, try to learn about FM synthesis and make some really amazing, unique, and ~original~ music.

And don't get me started on the whole '8-bit' thing. Damn scene kids, I tell you what.... grumblegrumble...
It was more about doing something different with the Genny, which I guess isn't possible. For my game I really want a rave/dance track along the lines of Tempest 2000 for the Jag... which is clearly much easier to achieve with samples than with FM sounds. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the sound of the SMD/Genny. Just plug in Street Fighter II and compare it to the SNES, the Sega blows it out of the water (we'll ignore the clarity of the pcm samples). And then there's Streets of Rage... The 16 Bit Sega sound is up there with SID, in my opinion. :)

POLYGAMe
Very interested

Post by POLYGAMe » Thu May 09, 2013 2:09 am

kubilus1 wrote:Check out the sound example that is in the sgdk download. It's got examples for playing sounds in a variety of ways on the Genesis, including some multi-channel PCM stuff. I believe it uses magic to make it happen.
Oh, goodie, I like magic :D

Delek
Very interested

Post by Delek » Sun May 26, 2013 12:14 am

WOWW DefleMask 9c with Live Mode Released!

NEWS:
Added "The Live Mode", you can set loop points on the fly, add in the queue new patterns, clear the loop points with Ctrl+C, follow the song freely mute channels dynamically with Keyboard Shortcuts and more (please RTM for more details).
Now the SID chips (8550 & 6181) are emulated using reSID core, one of the most accurate SID emulator out there.
Fixed the volume thing on Game Boy rom builder, all songs are HW compatible now.
GBS export for Game Boy working perfectly.
Now you can press Ctrl+1/2/3 etc to mute channels dinamically.
Now the pattern data will be preserved while changing systems, Green Hill zone on NES sounds good!
Now the FM instruments will be initialized to a sounding configuration.
Now you can scroll faster the Instruments window by pressing the arrow buttons on the screen.
Fixed the keylayout window, now all keys are compatible and the window position is fixed.
Fixed a bug in the YM2612 emulator that was preventing some starting notes to sound.
Added various new Demo Songs: Toejam & Earl and Comix Zone tracks to Genesis, A Nude Tomorrow by Chip Champion to Game Boy and more.
Manual Updated.
Mac OS X, Linux and Windows builds updated.

DOWNLOAD!

CHANGELOG

The live mode is really great! You can do very crazy things with it. :)

kubilus1
Very interested

Post by kubilus1 » Sun May 26, 2013 3:43 pm

Created a tool so I can use my midi keyboard with Deflemask.

https://code.google.com/p/midi2qwerty/

It is a python script that is a pretty generic midi to keyboard command program, but the default midi-map is for Deflemask commands. This is made for Linux using Xautomation, but it is written in 100% python so it should be easy to add support for other OS's automation tools.

There is a learning mode that can be used to train the program and a new mid-map can be created by just deleting the default midi_map file and running the program again.

Delek
Very interested

Post by Delek » Mon May 27, 2013 8:28 pm

Wow dude!, you are a genius. I was wondering if this could be done. Amazing job! :D

If you can get ready to run versions of this for Linux, Win and Mac I could add this into the DefleMask package and you will be credited for sure.

kubilus1
Very interested

Post by kubilus1 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:45 am

Linux is relatively straightforward since I can just poll a device for midi input with plain python. I could probably write something that could read midi input for Linux, Win and Mac using PyGame, but not sure how I would go about driving the key presses on Mac or Windows.

Not sure what language Deflemask is in, or if there is an API, but it would seem to be simpler and more efficient to call this directly, if that is possible at all.

Cris

Post by Cris » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:03 pm

Deflemask is a very good tracker,but doesn't have any other file import

CosmoBuggi
Interested

Post by CosmoBuggi » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:23 am

Hey, Delek. Do you think it might be possible one of these days to be able to include a YM2151 chip in there? That would be something that would certainly sell this tracker to me. I'm already feeling motivated enough to give the megadrive chip a try due to things i heard about how it's handled here in deflemask, and if a YM2151 chip is included, you bet i'd be willing to learn to get used to this tracker. lol No rush, though, and if you can't, that's understandable. :P