Update your Genesis/32X Toolchain!

Talk about development tools here

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Re: Update your Genesis/32X Toolchain!

Post by Chilly Willy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:31 pm

My toolchain isn't designed around other devkits, it's designed around my own examples. I don't know the extent you would have to go to to make it work with something like code blocks, though it should be possible. My toolchain is more low-level and geared towards people who already know what they're doing with gcc. It seems like you would do better with something more turnkey, like SGDK pre-compiled.

Muzzy
Interested

Post by Muzzy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:54 pm

Chilly Willy wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:31 pm
It seems like you would do better with something more turnkey, like SGDK pre-compiled.
You are definitely right. But I didn't find so far such solution for 32X. Anyway, thanks for clarification.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:37 pm

Yes, the 32X doesn't have anything like SGDK. My 32X stuff is aimed more at mostly running off the 32X with the MD side just providing controller inputs and access to save ram/rom bank control. If that's fine for the game you want, the example code I provide for the 32X should be enough to get your 32X game running. Of course, you would still need to get the toolchain built. Whether you use Windows or linux, it's designed around building the game from a terminal with make rather than using commands inside the editor. You can totally set code blocks or geany or eclipse up to do that, but I can't walk you through it. I just never do that myself as I'm totally comfortable in a shell. I use geany to edit my files, but the closest I get to using geany to make anything is using the terminal built into geany in some cases. Most of the time, it's easier to use a separate terminal rather than the one in geany.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sun May 05, 2019 3:39 pm

I've updated my toolchain to the latest gcc, as well as made it easier to build. You can find that in the thread here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3024

I'm leaving this in case someone needed to build an older toolchain for some reason. You can still ask questions about building the older toolchain here, but go to the other thread for questions about the current toolchain.

GeoffLedak
Interested

Post by GeoffLedak » Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:51 am

I've used this toolchain for several projects in the past and it works great.

I've always just used a simple text editor, but for larger projects sometimes I wish I could use an IDE of some sort.

Is there a way to make this work with an IDE like Visual Studio or CLion?

Apologies in advance if this is a vague question. Most of my day-to-day work is in Java and Kotlin using IntelliJ and Android Studio. I always have to do a fair amount of googling when editing make files for c code and I've never actually used Visual Studio all that much.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:19 am

Sorry, but I've never used either. Might I suggest looking at Code Blocks or Geany? I personally use Geany for all my program editing needs. Many people use Code Blocks.