Megadrive SDK

Talk about development tools here

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

8bitwizard
Very interested

Post by 8bitwizard » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:10 pm

I found a very subtle problem in my DNS configuration (I had missed a reference to the dead server's IP address) that was causing some nameservers to (apparently) give up on it completely. Everything should be working properly now.

...so does anybody have anything to say about the SDK itself?

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:07 pm

I'll keep trying, but still can't find the site. :(

There are lots of good defines in the SDK, but it could use a few more helper routines, especially in assembly. I thought it was interesting how you made the regular exception handlers weak symbols so they could be overridden. Very nifty way to handle it. :D

EDIT: 2010/08/26 - By the way, still can't reach the site. :lol:

EDIT 2: Funny, but wayback hasn't archived your page since 2008:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://xi6.com

I'm not sure if it's part of the problem, but there's a blog called http://www.xi6.org/ that resolves fine, but http://xi6.org/ always times out. Google seems to cache your pages okay, but I still can't reach it (I'm using Qwest DSL in the US). I wonder if Qwest is having a problem telling xi6.com from www.xi6.com.
:?

8bitwizard
Very interested

Post by 8bitwizard » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:16 pm

I think I finally found the problem with my domain name. There was a missing right paren on one line, so it rejected the new file completely and kept serving up the one it already had in memory which still referred to the dead server.

Hopefully it will be working right everywhere after a few hours for cached copies of it to expire... unless there's an even more obscure problem.

AT&T's default DNS servers are still only working for two of my five domains right now. And I think I had it mostly working right before I made that error, so they may have something else going on.

Really, it's probably better to switch to DNS servers that don't suck. Level3's at 4.2.2.2 / 4.2.2.1 should be the fastest from most places because it's an anycast address that will get you to the nearest one, but there's no promise that they will leave them open forever. Google has 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 which also work fine.

EDIT: I spent a bit of time running the nameserver in debug mode. It probably didn't help that someone in Belgium was using my nameserver as their main nameserver, looking up dozens of ".de" websites. With the ones I've listed above, there should be no need to use mine.

Also, there were some requests for the nameserver name as per the whois entry that probably shouldn't have been sent as requests to me. Fixing that may help a bit.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:34 pm

It's working fine now for me. Thanks for taking care of that. :D

BinaryCreature

Post by BinaryCreature » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:02 pm

Trying to make it work on Ubuntu / gcc-3.4.6, but hitting speed bumps:

Encountered a few missing package errors when running the script build-gcc.

(for the STUFF YOU NEED section):

Required packages were missing on stock Ubuntu installation.

MISSING PACKAGES: bison, flex and texinfo.

Now I am getting this error (written to gcc-newlib-install.log) when build-gcc tries to build newlib:

Code: Select all

/bin/sh ../../source/gcc-3.4.6/mkinstalldirs /usr/local/m68k /usr/local/m68k
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/binarycreature/megadrive/build/gcc-newlib/gcc'
gcc   -g -O2 -DIN_GCC -DCROSS_COMPILE  -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -pedantic -Wno-long-long    -DHAVE_CONFIG_H    -I. -I. -I../../../source/gcc-3.4.6/gcc -I../../../source/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/. -I../../../source/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/../include   \
	-DTARGET_MACHINE=\"m68k-elf\" \
	-c ../../../source/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/collect2.c -o collect2.o
In file included from /usr/include/fcntl.h:205,
                 from ../../../source/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/system.h:214,
                 from ../../../source/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/collect2.c:30:
In function ‘open’,
    inlined from ‘collect_execute’ at ../../../source/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/collect2.c:1537:
/usr/include/bits/fcntl2.h:51: error: call to ‘__open_missing_mode’ declared with attribute error: open with O_CREAT in second argument needs 3 arguments
make[1]: *** [collect2.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/binarycreature/megadrive/build/gcc-newlib/gcc'
make: *** [install-gcc] Error 2
Any idea what that means ?

8bitwizard
Very interested

Post by 8bitwizard » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:04 pm

About all I can say is that a "stock" linux install is not likely to include a sufficient set of tools and libraries to compile compilers, just as I have to install the Developer Tools disk on OS X to even compile anything.

All my script does is start the various build scripts. If newlib has some obscure problem compiling, there's not much I can do about it. At least look at the code that is causing the problem and see what you can do to tweak it.

But I'm still surprised, since newlib should be pretty portable.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:02 pm

Does a current newlib even build with gcc 3.4.6? I haven't tried it with anything less than 4.1.

8bitwizard
Very interested

Post by 8bitwizard » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:44 am

Whatever version that uses built for me under OS X. And I found the latest version before posting it.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:45 pm

What I meant was, his error listing shows he's trying to compile the toolchain using gcc 3.4.6, which I don't think will compile a 4.x toolchain. You need 4.x to compile 4.x.

8bitwizard
Very interested

Post by 8bitwizard » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:36 am

Oh, now I see. He's trying to build with 3.4.6 as his main compiler.

Apple's dev environment has been using 4.x for a while now, so I guess that's why I haven't had problems.

In that case, see if your Linux has an option to specifically install GCC 4 compilers. (It's been how many years now? People used 2.95 forever too.) Or get a newer version of your distro, which should have GCC 4 in there.

Jae686

Post by Jae686 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:00 pm

Good Morning, I'm getting this error when atemping to install the sdk (my OS is ubuntu 11.04),
Bottom of gcc-newlib-make.log

/usr/include/bits/fcntl2.h:51: error: call to ‘__open_missing_mode’ declared with attribute error: open with O_CREAT in second argument needs 3 arguments
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jaerder/development/MD/SDK_Install/build/gcc-newlib/gcc'
make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2

and bottom of gcc-newlib-install.log

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jaerder/development/MD/SDK_Install/build/gcc-newlib/gcc'
make: *** [install-gcc] Error 2
Any thoughts?

Best Regards