MD-Pro 64

Talk about development tools here

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Chilly Willy
Very interested

MD-Pro 64

Post by Chilly Willy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:30 am

Yay! Got my MD-Pro 64 today!! I ordered the one with a case, programmer, and both cables. I didn't really need the case or cables, but I didn't want to crack open one of my SEGA games, plus I figured if the MD-Pro came in a case, it would be less likely to be damaged in shipping... which was a good idea since they didn't ship this in a box - it came in a pouch with a decent amount of bubble wrap.

Other than needing to reboot my computer to change the parallel port into EPP mode (in the BIOS setup), I had no troubled getting it working. I'm using ucon64 2.0.1 from the cvs repo along with the front-end, uf. I found a bug right off in ucon64 - they have the byte swapping backwards in ttt_read_rom_w. It was easy to tell - just dump the flash cart the way it comes and look in a hex editor. The bytes of each word were clearly backwards. I flipped the routines and poof! Nice dump of the cart. 8)

Anywho, between the -multi option code in ucon64 and my disassembly of the multi-loader, I've figured out how the flash and save ram bank selecting works. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a secret, but I won't say anything until I get a few opinions here. I've not signed any NDA's, nor received any special info. I'm going from open source code and disassembly of a program with no restriction about RE in the license, so I don't see a problem with relaying any info.

I do have to say, it dumps the flash FAST. Even writing is pretty fast - it wrote a 512 KB cart image in about 5 to 6 seconds.

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:27 am

The CPLD in the cart has all magic stuff in it, that's why you can program flash so fast, at least that's the case with Megacart, which is not really different from MD-Pro...
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

tinctu
Very interested

Post by tinctu » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:39 pm

Yaay I want to buy my in summer...