Moved to XP SP3, and XGCC troubles :/

Talk about development tools here

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Fonzie
Genny lover

Moved to XP SP3, and XGCC troubles :/

Post by Fonzie » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:45 pm

Hello,

Since I bought a new laptop, I recently moved to XP SP3 (I was XP SP2 and Windows 98 before).
And although I tried to install XGCC as usual (maybe i forgot something),

I can't compile anymore Piersolar project :/

In my XGCC . bat
gcc -b 68k -m68000 -O3 -c lzsslib.o lzsslib.c OK
gcc -b 68k -m68000 -O1 -c -o n_comp.o n_comp.S OK

gcc -Xlinker -L C:/xgcc/68k/2_8_1/m68000/ -b 68k -T md_tgame.ld -nostdlib -o engine. mdfiles -lm -lc -l135 -lgcc -lg -Wl,-Map,fichier.map BAD.... "Le système ne peut pas executer le programme spécifié".
68k-objc -O binary engine. md_game.bin OK

PAUSE

"Le système ne peut pas executer le programme spécifié" = Windows can't execute the fallowing software.

Any idea? What's sure is that I can't go back to SP2 (as my asus laptops drivers can't handle SP2) and no way to go back to 98 .

Thank you very much for your help.

Fonzie

ElBarto
Very interested

Post by ElBarto » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Maybe it's the time to move on a real GCC ? :P

cdoty
Very interested

Re: Moved to XP SP3, and XGCC troubles :/

Post by cdoty » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:12 pm

Fonzie wrote:"Le système ne peut pas executer le programme spécifié" = Windows can't execute the fallowing software.

Any idea? What's sure is that I can't go back to SP2 (as my asus laptops drivers can't handle SP2) and no way to go back to 98 .
There might be an uninstall for SP3 in Add/Remove programs.

Look at the properties of c:\windows\_default.pif.

Ensure that, under the memory tab, all of the memory types are set to auto. I also have protected unchecked under Conventional memory.

As a test, try compiling a simple main.c file, and see if there are any error reports. (gcc main.c). There will be link errors.

I had to move the cpp, cc1, as, and ld files, from c:\xgcc\68k\2_8_1 to \xgcc\bin. I also had to move crt0.o, libgcc.a lib, and libc.lib to \xgcc\bin.

It looks like isn't properly configuring djgpp. It may be using the wrong versions of cpp, cc1, as, or ld.
Last edited by cdoty on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TulioAdriano
Very interested

Re: Moved to XP SP3, and XGCC troubles :/

Post by TulioAdriano » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:24 pm

Fonzie wrote:I can't compile anymore Piersolar project :/
Plop!

This is bad! But I agree on cdoty, seems more like you're missing a file than some execution error.

"Le système ne peut pas executer le programme spécifié"
The system cannot execute the specified program.

Really, seems to me more like it can't find it... are you sure it is a Windows message? Or is it a gcc error message?

cdoty
Very interested

Post by cdoty » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:54 pm

After messing with XGCC for a short amount of time, I would *strongly* recommend moving to the Genesis Mini DevKit or NeoDev (http://frogfeast.rastersoft.net/Files/NeoDev.zip).

NeoDev is based on version 2.95.2, which might be a closer match to 2.8.1.

If you need help converting your build file (makefile, bat file, whatever), post the build file here, and I can help you adapt the file to NeoDev.

Standard warning: Backup what you currently have!

Fonzie
Genny lover

Post by Fonzie » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:13 pm

Thx all.

I can't install SP2, my GPU and sound drivers are for SP3 only.
And maybe i forgot to say, but I never install XGCC, I always copy/paste the whole Xgcc folder & .bat in c:/ to "install" it. It worked great on my xpSP2 laptop, my w98 comp...

"c:\windows\_default.pif. "
Very interesting file... because even if I force windows to show all the files, I can't see it... But when I search for this file, it find it on c:/windows/ ;)

Seems setting all to Auto doesn't do anything :/

EDIT :

Great! :D Thanks Charles!
In fact, seems my XP doesn't like "C:/xgcc/68k/2_8_1/m68000/" path because it is too long ...
So moving all to c:/xgcc/bin/ make it work perfect :D
Problem solved! :D I hope its solved "XGCC FOREVER" :mrgreen: :D

About moving to a different GCC package... I don't think I'll do it until piersolar is done... Especially because I fear compilation bugs poping (and I don't have time to track them down).

Thx all :D

cdoty
Very interested

Post by cdoty » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:22 pm

Fonzie wrote: "c:\windows\_default.pif. "
Very interesting file... because even if I force windows to show all the files, I can't see it... But when I search for this file, it find it on c:/windows/ ;)
I think it's a system file, so you would have to uncheck "Hide protected operating system files".