Genitile question?

Talk about development tools here

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

cdoty
Very interested

Genitile question?

Post by cdoty » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:45 am

I cannot get Genitile to use subdirectories. What I want to do is store the images in Graphics and compile the result to Data.

Genitile is unable to find the file, if I type:
GENITILE Graphics\Tile.bmp

or unable to find the output directory if I use:

cd Graphics
GENITILE Tile.bmp -od ..\Data

Is there anyway to allow the use of subdirectories?

Pascal
Very interested

Post by Pascal » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:51 am

i just tried the same command, and it seems to work, you need to put the absolute path with the cd.

this .bat has worked :

Code: Select all

cd d:\projects\myproject\gfx

genitile tiles4.pcx -od ../misc

pause

the bat was in the root of my project which contain /gfx & /misc directory

EDIT: i just tested a cd with a relative path, and it's working, but i noticed that my genitile version is 1.5 (1.2 released) i gonna upload the new version tonight

cdoty
Very interested

Post by cdoty » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:17 pm

Pascal wrote:genitile tiles4.pcx -od ../misc
It must be something with Genitile 1.2. I tried using a back slash, instead of a forward slash, and it complains about 'format is unsupported'. But, if I remove the -od ../Data, it works fine.
Last edited by cdoty on Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pascal
Very interested

Post by Pascal » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:24 pm

weird, either "/" and either "\" are working fine

i gonna upload my new version once i'm at home :)

cdoty
Very interested

Post by cdoty » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:17 am

Is there a way to have it create DMA friendly map data?

If I use a 320x224 bitmap, it will not create map data that can be DMA'ed to VRAM.

I tried using -cw 64 and -ch 28, which did create the correct sized map, but it creates a bunch of extra tile data. Using just -cw 64, created a single line map, with 64 tiles.

Pascal
Very interested

Post by Pascal » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:07 am

cdoty wrote:Is there a way to have it create DMA friendly map data?

If I use a 320x224 bitmap, it will not create map data that can be DMA'ed to VRAM.

I tried using -cw 64 and -ch 28, which did create the correct sized map, but it creates a bunch of extra tile data. Using just -cw 64, created a single line map, with 64 tiles.
the cw & ch flags are for cropping within a picture bounds, it was not intended that you can "overlap" the picture, it's a bug. Anyway, i'm bored at work, i'll have a look to satisfy my best customer for genitile ;)

cdoty
Very interested

Post by cdoty » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:01 am

Pascal wrote:the cw & ch flags are for cropping within a picture bounds, it was not intended that you can "overlap" the picture, it's a bug. Anyway, i'm bored at work, i'll have a look to satisfy my best customer for genitile ;)
Excellent customer service! :)

Genitile has replaced my own tools for the Genesis. It's always nice to find some nicer and easier to use than what I'm currently using.

Will you ever release the source code for it? It would make a nice tool for a number of other systems.

Pascal
Very interested

Post by Pascal » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:15 pm

thanks ! i'm happy it's useful for you :)

about becoming open source, genitile is heavily dedicated to the megadrive
but i'll release the sources as i'd love to see a snes or a pce version
. if people can read my crappy code ^^

cdoty
Very interested

Post by cdoty » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:59 pm

Pascal wrote: about becoming open source, genitile is heavily dedicated to the megadrive
Any chance of a source release?

Again, I find myself using it for a simple project and:

(In my best Billy May's voice):
Needed to create tilemap, tiles, and palette for the background and BAM! genitile does it!

Creating sprite tiles and palette and BAM! genitile spits those out too!

Needed an easy way to convert a font image to tiles and palette and BAM-BAM! genitile didn't even break a sweat!

Now I hear you ask, can I do that for the Neo-Geo... (*psst* here's where you come in Pascal) :P

Pascal
Very interested

Post by Pascal » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:09 pm

cdoty wrote:
Pascal wrote: about becoming open source, genitile is heavily dedicated to the megadrive
Any chance of a source release?

Again, I find myself using it for a simple project and:

(In my best Billy May's voice):
Needed to create tilemap, tiles, and palette for the background and BAM! genitile does it!

Creating sprite tiles and palette and BAM! genitile spits those out too!

Needed an easy way to convert a font image to tiles and palette and BAM-BAM! genitile didn't even break a sweat!

Now I hear you ask, can I do that for the Neo-Geo... (*psst* here's where you come in Pascal) :P
wow, 2 years and i totaly forgot this post... i apologize
anyway, asked like that, i can only release the source , Thanks for your dedication :p
I packed quickly a file with the sources. As i don't have visual studio anymore, i didn't check that it's compiling correctly. if any files is missing just let me know.
Here's the sources for genitile 1.7.
http://www.pascalorama.info/brol/genitile_src.zip
If you can understand my crappy code and still not discourage to modify it, i'd appreciate your modification or derivative work :)

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:42 am

Bump !
I tried to switch to the last Genitile 1.7 version, i basically wanted to include the tool and sources in SGDK but it looks like this version has a bug with the tileset generation.
I have to admit i do not really understand why we have to specify an image file after the -tileset option as we already have the main image file.
Usually you want the tileset / map for a same image.
With genitile 1.2 i can use the following command :
genitile image.bmp -t -m -o h
So i obtain both map and optimized tileset for the specified image :)
But if i use this command line instead :
genitile image.bmp -t image.bmp -m -o h
then i still obtain map and tileset but the later one is no more optimized, i don't understand why...

With genitile 1.7 i cannot use anymore the command :
genitile image.bmp -t -m -o h
it does an error "missing tile<0,0>", i think it expects an image name after the -t parameter.

And if i use :
It produces the same result as with genitile 1.2, the tileset is not anymore optimized :-/ I cannot find any way to produce the optimized tileset with genitile 1.7...

Am i using genitile correctly ? why the second image file stand for ?
Thanks for any help :)

Pascal
Very interested

Post by Pascal » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:20 pm

weird, i just tried with my 1.7

C:\Temp>genitile options.pcx -tileset -m -o h
Loaded image details:
Filename        : options.pcx
Width           : 256
Height          : 224
OuPuT fIle: optionsm.h created
OuPuT fIle: optionst.h created

Files processed 1
AlL dOnE ;)
can you retry with the version laying on my hd:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9711452/genitile17.zip
I don't remember if it's a bug i fixed in the past without releasing it :p

you don't have to specify a <filename> with the "Tileset" option when you just want to generate an optimized tileset. -Tileset with a filename means that genitile is going to use the file as the reference tileset (so that's why he didn't optimized it).

In your case : genitile consider that with the "-t image,bmp", image.bmp is already the tileset. Sorry, Genitile lack a good doc :s

btw really happy that you want to include genitile in SGDK :) i thought it's only useful to charles ^^

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:38 am

Ok i understand now, thanks for the explanations about the optional tileset argument :)
I will test your 1.7 version asap i am back to home, if it fix the problem i may ask you for the sources if that don't mind ;)

I was already using Genitile 1.2 in SGDK, i developed a output plugin so it outputs in GCC asm format with C header file :) but now i want to provide sources for tools and i found the sources for 1.7 version only, so time to update !

Pascal
Very interested

Post by Pascal » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:32 am

Stef wrote:Ok i understand now, thanks for the explanations about the optional tileset argument :)
I will test your 1.7 version asap i am back to home, if it fix the problem i may ask you for the sources if that don't mind ;)
you're welcome ;) that makes me dig in the megadrive stuff (really loooooong time, i didn't touch any md stuff). No problems for the sources. I'll look for them. Maybe, i'll change the version to 1.8 to avoid confusion.
Stef wrote: I was already using Genitile 1.2 in SGDK, i developed a output plugin so it outputs in GCC asm format with C header file :) but now i want to provide sources for tools and i found the sources for 1.7 version only, so time to update !
oh i didn't know , maybe because i'm more into snasm68k ;)

Pascal
Very interested

Post by Pascal » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:03 pm