[GensKMod] 0.7b & [nm2wch] 0.1 are out

Talk about development tools here

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

KanedaFr
Administrateur

[GensKMod] 0.7b & [nm2wch] 0.1 are out

Post by KanedaFr » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:20 am

Thanks to Fonzie and ElBarto (ask to fonzie why!), I finally was able to make something I'm very proud!

nm2wch let you convert a nm output (from your just compiled binary rom) to a watcher file.

So, when you load your game in KMod, you have all your variables in watchers' window :D

you need binutils\nm to use it and sh to support nm stdout redirect (I didn't find another way!) then adjust your makefile to

Code: Select all

SHELL=<gendevkitpath>sh
NM= <gendevkitpath>nm

$(ROM).bin: $(ROM).out
	$(OBJC) -O binary $< $@
	$(NM) -n -S -t x $< >$(ROM).nm
	nm2wch $(ROM).nm $(ROM).wch

Gens KMod was updated to support it.
You also can change watcher type and jump to memory in RAM (use right click).
The autoload watcher feature (Options>Debug...) will look for a watcher file in the rom folder or, if not found, in the 'watchers' folder.
So if you launch a rom from your compile batch, the watchers will be loaded at the same times...perfect for debugging, no ?

It's not a great change, so I named it 0.7b, not 0.8 ;)

I tested this with Stef devkit.
Let me know if you succeed with something else (XGCC, snasm.. ?)

Stef, I currently added nm, sh and rm to bin folder...perhaps you could compile and include them in your next devkit release ? it will be cleaner and easier for newbies ;)

Stef
Very interested

Re: [GensKMod] 0.7b & [nm2wch] 0.1 are out

Post by Stef » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:37 pm

KanedaFr wrote:Thanks to Fonzie and ElBarto (ask to fonzie why!), I finally was able to make something I'm very proud!

nm2wch let you convert a nm output (from your just compiled binary rom) to a watcher file.

So, when you load your game in KMod, you have all your variables in watchers' window :D

you need binutils\nm to use it and sh to support nm stdout redirect (I didn't find another way!) then adjust your makefile to

Code: Select all

SHELL=<gendevkitpath>sh
NM= <gendevkitpath>nm

$(ROM).bin: $(ROM).out
	$(OBJC) -O binary $< $@
	$(NM) -n -S -t x $< >$(ROM).nm
	nm2wch $(ROM).nm $(ROM).wch

Gens KMod was updated to support it.
You also can change watcher type and jump to memory in RAM (use right click).
The autoload watcher feature (Options>Debug...) will look for a watcher file in the rom folder or, if not found, in the 'watchers' folder.
So if you launch a rom from your compile batch, the watchers will be loaded at the same times...perfect for debugging, no ?

It's not a great change, so I named it 0.7b, not 0.8 ;)

I tested this with Stef devkit.
Let me know if you succeed with something else (XGCC, snasm.. ?)

Stef, I currently added nm, sh and rm to bin folder...perhaps you could compile and include them in your next devkit release ? it will be cleaner and easier for newbies ;)
Great addition Kaneda !
I can add nm and sh but why we need rm ? can't use the del win32 command ?

ElBarto
Very interested

Post by ElBarto » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:14 am

Fun, Fonzie told me that it'll be cool too use that output with Kmod and bam few day later new kmod :)
Will test it in the WE.
Thanks a lot again.