Updated Gens Ubuntu Build

Talk about development tools here

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

kubilus1
Very interested

Updated Gens Ubuntu Build

Post by kubilus1 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:39 pm

I recently upgraded my laptop to Ubuntu 18.04, and found out some emulators, such as Gens would not work. It doesn't appear that there are any recent packages, so I forked this, and setup some auto-building, TravisCI magic.

https://github.com/kubilus1/gens/releases

Installation instructions for 18.04:

Code: Select all

$ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install <this package>.deb
Note: There are a number of source repos, forks, packages, etc floating around for this, so the lineage isn't entirely clear to me. I included a rebuild of what would appear to be the most common Debian package: 2.16.7-r7, and what would appear to be a somewhat updated, but somewhat broken 2.16.7-r7+.

I realize that there are other, probably better maintained emulators out there, but it never hurts to have more than one available.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Re: Updated Gens Ubuntu Build

Post by Chilly Willy » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:46 pm

Even has my updates for 32X audio. Cool. Thanks for doing that. Gens/GS was always my favorite 32X emulator, but I hadn't gotten around to setting up a 32-bit vm to recompile it for 18.04.

kubilus1
Very interested

Post by kubilus1 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:05 pm

I feel I'm a bit out-of-touch with the state of Linux Sega emulators, but I've tended to reach for Kega-Fusion or Gens to test my stuff when I have a moment to hack here and there.

The .travis.yml file has the Docker command I kick-off. Ugly, but good enough to get a build and allow me to work on other things!

Merry Christmas!

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:32 pm

The main thing was it had better support for 32X audio, mainly because I worked on it over at Sega Retro after the R7 release to fix the 32X audio issues I ran into. That was the half the reason I did my early 32X demos - checking what worked on real hardware, but failed on emulators. I worked with Snake at the same time to improve Fusion's 32X audio. Fusion is (was) the best emulator on Windows, and it does work fine in linux under WINE, but I like Gens/GS a bit better in linux. Some of the newer, more accurate emulators still need things like 32X, SCD, and VRMD support.

Happy many returns day!