[Kmod] v0.7.3

Talk about development tools here

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Re: [Kmod] v0.7.3

Post by KanedaFr » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:03 pm

MrTamk1s wrote:So I've been using this branch of Gens recently for projects, and have found it invaluable for ripping sprites, tiles, and palettes from VDP VRAM, and for general debugging. However, I think there is a bug in the CRAM dumping code. Dumping the entire CRAM generates a 512 byte (not 128 byte?) file, and I think the colors are not appearing correctly in palette editors (at least when attempting to view it with RetroGraphicsToolkit). Also, attempting to rip some whole sprite pieces > 1x1 under Debug>VDP - Sprites sometimes omits tiles in the output file (especially if tiles are v/hflip'd).

Is the outputted CRAM file just raw VDP RGB333 color entries, or are there other bits of extra data in the dump? (Not sure how KMod formats its CRAM dump files...)
it's not the first time I read CRAM was wrong....
strange...
Dr Mefisto fixed a CRAM issue on save state, perhaps it's the same thing...
thanks for notice

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:20 pm

KanedaFr wrote:
MrTamk1s wrote:So I've been using this branch of Gens recently for projects, and have found it invaluable for ripping sprites, tiles, and palettes from VDP VRAM, and for general debugging. However, I think there is a bug in the CRAM dumping code. Dumping the entire CRAM generates a 512 byte (not 128 byte?) file, and I think the colors are not appearing correctly in palette editors (at least when attempting to view it with RetroGraphicsToolkit). Also, attempting to rip some whole sprite pieces > 1x1 under Debug>VDP - Sprites sometimes omits tiles in the output file (especially if tiles are v/hflip'd).

Is the outputted CRAM file just raw VDP RGB333 color entries, or are there other bits of extra data in the dump? (Not sure how KMod formats its CRAM dump files...)
it's not the first time I read CRAM was wrong....
strange...
thanks for notice
It has been screwed for exporting Tiles to bitmap too.

My advice is to use tools that can extract what you need form VRAM which means that you can use your tools with an Emulator and the real Hardware.

When running from a DOS shell you must also provide the %CD%\rom.bin too as it does not append this.

Gens KMod was the first MD Emu that I used for development but it is pretty old now and needed a massive overhaul - which is now possible with DrM's work. I have found only one issue with DrM's GENS but it is quite trivial - the status word shows the number '7' instead of a '1'.
I still think that Gens KMod is better for VDP register status though but it is missing some fields.
UMDK Fanboy

ryanfaescotland
Very interested

Post by ryanfaescotland » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:44 pm

What if you had two paths the system could take when loading the ROM, one that goes down the current route and another that goes down the tracing route. This way you only pay the price once for the if statement at ROM load but you pay the cost in having a lot of replicated code (one that has the trace out statements, one that doesn't) and the inability to turn tracing on/off without a ROM reload?

Alternatively write all the instructions to a memory buffer and then flush them to file every 10, 20, 100, N cycles, that way you only do the if check every N cycles (although you still have the expense of writing to file every N cycles and memory each instruction even if you aren't logging)?

Just brain storming.

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:38 pm

sure

I'm not against it, I have to try some code, that's all

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:48 am

TmEE co.(TM) wrote: *Make plane explorer window not be always on top, the window is too big for a 1400x1050 screen, main window gets partially obscured...
For me, it's not always on top....
Can someone confirm he meets the same problem ?

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:50 am

TmEE co.(TM) wrote: *Sprite window should enlarge a little horizontally, so that you don't need to horizontally scroll to see the remaining parameters.
I updated the way to handle sprite list..
it's strange you still get this problem...

what's about others users ? same problem?
or related to XP only ?

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:57 am

MintyTheCat wrote:
KanedaFr wrote: it's not the first time I read CRAM was wrong....
strange...
thanks for notice
I'm more surprised by this one...
what's exactly wrong ?
Totally weird pal or not "exactly" the right colors ?

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:58 am

MintyTheCat wrote: When running from a DOS shell you must also provide the %CD%\rom.bin too as it does not append this.
sorry, I don't understand this one...
is it missing an option when using from command line ?

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:00 am

MintyTheCat wrote: I still think that Gens KMod is better for VDP register status though but it is missing some fields.
missing some fields on the VDP registers ?
which ones ?

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:01 am

MintyTheCat wrote: My advice is to use tools that can extract what you need form VRAM which means that you can use your tools with an Emulator and the real Hardware.
why not use the VRAM dump and use it with any tools you want ?
my goal was to provide an all in one solution, but you're free to use any external tool with any dump

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:36 pm

oh, and if someone is aware of a "ready to use" hexview/edit using Win32API (no MFC), let me know
I find the current memory viewer uneasy ...

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:38 pm

TmEE co.(TM) wrote: *Frequency in Hz to YM debug. FrequencyHz = YMsampleRate / (((2 ^ 14)-1) - FreqRegister) (both octave and note together, YMsampleRate is 68Kclock / 144)
*Music note view for PSG and YM debug. This chart gives the music note freqs and formulas to calculate them : http://www.tmeeco.eu/BitShit/MIDIfreqs.htm
with these infos, will it make sense to export to MIDI or whatever usable format ?
without instruments of course but this way, we could get the song's notes and let you play your favoring theme on guitar or piano ;)

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:54 am

KanedaFr wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote:
KanedaFr wrote: it's not the first time I read CRAM was wrong....
strange...
thanks for notice
I'm more surprised by this one...
what's exactly wrong ?
Totally weird pal or not "exactly" the right colors ?
Corrupt file as I recall. I would have to check as I do not use it these days.
UMDK Fanboy

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:54 am

KanedaFr wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote: When running from a DOS shell you must also provide the %CD%\rom.bin too as it does not append this.
sorry, I don't understand this one...
is it missing an option when using from command line ?
Path issue, kaneda.

Try it out.
UMDK Fanboy

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:55 am

KanedaFr wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote: I still think that Gens KMod is better for VDP register status though but it is missing some fields.
missing some fields on the VDP registers ?
which ones ?
Compare what you have to this:

http://md.squee.co/VDP
UMDK Fanboy