Deflemask and volume of the instruments

Talk about development tools here

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Davidian

Deflemask and volume of the instruments

Post by Davidian » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:17 am

Hi,

First message in this forum so i'm gonna say hello to everybody and thank you for making possible Mega Drive developments with your work.

I've done the music for Oh Mummy Genesis, Suprakillminds and several games by my brothers The Mojon Twins such as Goku Mal and Ninjajar!

Now, i'm moving all my compositions from VGM Music Maker to Deflemask Tracker in order to get full hardware usage (Echo is really complicated for me) for our new game "Proyecto Antarex".

But i'm having some "troubles" with the volume of instruments. At full volume instruments sound different like they do when you down the sound. In VGM Music Maker, with same instruments this problem doesn't exist. So, is there any chance in the instrument editor to solve this problem modifying parameters?

The idea is that sound for Antarex will be a rock/metal soundtrack like Thunder Force IV, but with low volume, guitars don't sound like they should :(

We are using for simple SFX sounds PSG2MOD2 like Shiru did in Uwol. We can't use music at full volume because these sfx sound with low volume regarding music.

Here is a video sample to make more clear what i'm saying.

5 songs:

1. Proyecto Antarex - Title (WIP) (Deflemask with high volume).
2. Proyecto Antarex - Title (WIP) (Deflemask with low guitars volume).
3. Proyecto Antarex - Title (WIP) (VGM Music Maker with high volume). Note that with the last SGDK VGM Player, samples are supported in vgms created with this tracker.
4. Proyecto Antarex - Title (WIP) (VGM Music Maker with low guitars volume). Note that guitars still sound powerful.
5. WTF Trolls - Boss Battle (A game for Win, Mac and Linux with Mega Drive sound by me) These are the same instruments that we use for Antarex in Deflemask at full volume (guitars sound very powerful).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ax9eeqmf95p29 ... 140716.avi

Best regards from Spain,
David.

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:30 pm

TLs that are lower than 8 will digitally clip, but it also depends on the algo used, the more output operators the higher the non clip values are.
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

r57shell
Very interested

Post by r57shell » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:04 am

DefleMask has bug with volume handling for Genesis FM (YM2612). But it's "not bug" for developer, but for everyone - it's bug. He is not listen :)
There is 4 TL = volume of operators (more exactly attenuation).
When you set volume of channel, DefleMask apply formulae to each 4 TL, but in proper way, you should apply formulae only for Carriers operators.
Carriers = operators that produce sound. other = producing modulation.
You can fix volume yourself, if you keep max volume, and fix TL of operators yourself.
You need to fix carriers only. formulae (simple interpolation)
let vol = volume from 0 to 1 where 0 - lowest, 1 = highest.
then
New TL = (TL-127)*vol+127
you can find out which one of operator is carriers by turning them on one by one. to turn off operator: set TL to 127, to turn it on make it 0 for example (loudest).
Also, remember, in common meaning there is NO VOLUME of FM channel in Genesis, only TL of operators.

Delek
Very interested

Post by Delek » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:00 pm

It is not a bug, you can low all TLs by using the volume column and if you want more precise volume control you can use the per Operator effect TL control.

From DefleMask's manual:
12xx - TL Operator 1 Control:
With this effect you can modify the TL of the operator 1. You can designate xx with a value from 0 to 7F.

13xx - TL Operator 2 Control:
With this effect you can modify the TL of the operator 2. You can designate xx with a value from 0 to 7F.

14xx - TL Operator 3 Control:
With this effect you can modify the TL of the operator 3. You can designate xx with a value from 0 to 7F.

15xx - TL Operator 4 Control:
With this effect you can modify the TL of the operator 4. You can designate xx with a value from 0 to 7F.

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:28 pm

The thing is to do volume control on the YM you only have to adjust the output operator TL otherwise you change flavor of the sound.

Op4 is always adjusted regardless of algo, all other ops only in algo 7 for example.

Assuming operator order 1-3-2-4 you only adjust TLs of these ops in a given algo :

0 - 4
1 - 4
2 - 4
3 - 4
4 - 3,4
5 - 2,3,4
6 - 2,3,4
7 - 1,2,3,4
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

Davidian

Post by Davidian » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:53 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your responses.

In my case i've solved the problem modifying TL in OP4.

Guitars at full volume (7F) and TL in OP4 at (20).

r57shell
Very interested

Post by r57shell » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:46 am

:D
As I said, he claims that it's not bug.