Retro Graphics Toolkit

Talk about development tools here

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

r57shell
Very interested

Post by r57shell » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:12 pm

sega16, you are doing something wrong with YCbCr. It can't be so worse. Check that composition of RGB->YCbCr and YCbCr->RGB translation = identity.

Some bugs:
1) When I select "generate palette then pick based on delta", and I use two rows, then tiles with low delta to black tiles, will be match with row 4.
Same behavior with "pick tile row based on delta"
2) After quantization, color sliders not updated.
3) Riemesha instead of Riemersma, and attrabutes instead of attributes (TileMap Actions).
4) TileMap Actions -> Remove tiles after 0 will make big error :).

There is no option -> generate plain tilemap (0,1,2,3)... So, if I made mistake, I need to restart program.

Another info: now if I select quantization 30 colors based on HUE, Denis Lee, RGB, result for UMK3 select screen will be much worse than previous version of your program.

sega16
Very interested

Post by sega16 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:46 pm

I just uploaded a new version I reverted the changes that make the image look worse instead of better and fixed dark tiles sometimes get picked as a lighter row. I still need to figure out why YCbCr other than that everything appears to be in working order.Also what does
generate plain tilemap (0,1,2,3)
mean? Do you mean just create a tilemap like what import image to tilemap does?

r57shell
Very interested

Post by r57shell » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:42 pm

sega16 wrote:Do you mean just create a tilemap like what import image to tilemap does?
I see, it is what I want, but I need to reimport image. Nevermind.

Orion_
Very interested

Post by Orion_ » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:19 pm

r57shell wrote:
Orion_ wrote:I tried to convert the image using my method:
First of all, palette not MD.
Yes it is, it just depend on how you convert the 3bits back to 8bits.
r57shell wrote:Even name?
Nitro-Character
Retro game programming !

r57shell
Very interested

Post by r57shell » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:49 pm

Orion_ wrote:Yes it is, it just depend on how you convert the 3bits back to 8bits.
Not "just". It is problem to make dither or quantization in non uniform color space. And, it is representation of how we will see image.

sega16
Very interested

Post by sega16 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:16 pm

Orion_ wrote:
r57shell wrote:Even name?
Nitro-Character
I have done some research and found out that it is an NDS development tool however I was not able to find it anywhere. I am interested in dis-assembling/reverse engineering that program and adding support for a similar method in retro graphics toolkit would you be able to pm the tool. I won't share the program with anyone and I will rewrite the assembly code in C so it will be like clean room or whatever you want to call it.

r57shell
Very interested

Post by r57shell » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:26 pm

sega16 wrote:I am interested in dis-assembling/reverse engineering that program and adding support for a similar method in retro graphics toolkit would you be able to pm the tool.
Ahaha, bad guy :D
May be better just to improve your software?)

sega16
Very interested

Post by sega16 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:40 pm

r57shell wrote: Ahaha, bad guy :D
May be better just to improve your software?)
That would work too but something about that nitro-Character program is very good.
Edit added Nequant
Edit2 Updated windows binary.

Mills
Interested

Post by Mills » Wed May 14, 2014 2:56 pm

I love it.. But it does not work on my windows 7 64 bit, it does not load any image. all black tiles and colors. :(

sega16
Very interested

Post by sega16 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:49 am

Sorry for the delay in responding to you.
When you load an image you see nothing because a palette is not generated.
You must first generate a palette based on the image and then dither the image.
To do this go to Palette Actions->Generate Optimal palette with x amount of colors.
You will then be presented with many options pick what fits your application.
Next you must dither the image to fit the generated palette.
To do this go to TileMap actions->Dither tilemap as image
Again there will be options pick what looks best in your instance.
After that if you have followed these simple instructions correctly you should have a nice image.
In other news I have long since fixed YCbCr did anyone notice? Also there are many more features you can redownload the latest windows binary if you are a windows user.
Since this seems to be a common issue I have created a wiki page describing image importing https://github.com/ComputerNerd/Retro-G ... g-an-image
There are a few other pages to check out to that may clear some stuff up for people. I hope to add more soon.

sega16
Very interested

Post by sega16 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:52 am

I am sorry for the double post but I would like to point out that recently I have been doing some work on Retro Graphics Toolkit and have made huge improvements. I recently started keeping a change-log so that what has been improved is apparent https://github.com/ComputerNerd/Retro-G ... /Changelog I would like to point out that this only covers since I started keeping track of changes using a changelog, it is likely that there are more improvements or bug-fixes since the last release you downloaded that is not mentioned in the changelog. The most notable improves that for v0.7 is the advanced sprite editor and undoing and redoing for most actions.

I will note that about the NES example was my first NES program that I have ever wrote. If there are any issues with code being suboptimal or not working on real hardware feel free to tell me. It was good to see that all along Retro Graphics Toolkit has been producing valid data for the NES.

For sonic sprite mapping When importing and exporting it uses the same format the the github disassembles are using. So for sonic 1 it will import and export assembly data. For sonic 2 binary data will be produced. I tested Retro Graphics Toolkit's export sonic 2 mapping and dplc and it produced bit identical output. Please tell me if this is not the case for other objects.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:40 am

Neat! Lots of great changes. :D

sega16
Very interested

Post by sega16 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:12 pm

Glad you liked it. I am sure there will be even more neat changes to come.

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:19 am

For some reason it does not work on machines that have Windows xp (I have not yet tested on Windows7, but I guess it should work). When I run the exe, begins to see the window, but it closes instantly. Some dll file is required?

sega16
Very interested

Post by sega16 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:26 am

I have heard multiple reports of this and I am not sure what causes the issue. I tested in on a windows xp virtual box and it ran just fine for me. I believe if it were a DLL error that you would get an error message.