Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:35 am

Sounds great! :D

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:54 am

Yep that sounds great !
IMO a nice feature for color reduction would be :
- specify target RGB space (RGB333 for instance).
- specify the wanted maximum number of colors (totally free)
- enable or not dithering to improve the visual quality.

Another extra idea would be to allow the use of hilight / shadow (and then extends to RGB444) which creation of the shadow / hilight map, but that could be done later i guess, and if the tool is open source anyone will be able to contribute.

sega16
Very interested

Post by sega16 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:53 am

Stef wrote:Yep that sounds great !
IMO a nice feature for color reduction would be :
- specify target RGB space (RGB333 for instance).
- specify the wanted maximum number of colors (totally free)
- enable or not dithering to improve the visual quality.

Another extra idea would be to allow the use of hilight / shadow (and then extends to RGB444) which creation of the shadow / hilight map, but that could be done later i guess, and if the tool is open source anyone will be able to contribute.
The direct color image converter is abandoned by me and replaced with retro graphics toolkit. It does almost everything direct convert does. You are referring to retro graphics toolkit right? If so it already supports shadow hilghligh mode in fact it can automatically look at tiles on the tile map and if 8 (I will make this adjustable but I found 8 to work good) or less pixels are over 126 it will make it shadow. It does not support sprite masking highlights currently. Also it does target RGB333 in a way the output will be 16 unique colors unless there are not 16 colors to begin with.

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:14 am

Yeah i was speaking about retro graphics toolkit ;) Cool it already support plan shadow ! About the output, will it be limited to 16 colors only, it would be nice to have multi palette support but that might be really complexe to handle ?

sega16
Very interested

Post by sega16 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:11 pm

Stef wrote:Yeah i was speaking about retro graphics toolkit ;) Cool it already support plan shadow ! About the output, will it be limited to 16 colors only, it would be nice to have multi palette support but that might be really complex to handle ?
Right now it can only reduce an image to 16 colors however it does allow you to edit with all 4 rows on the sega genesis and you could of course assign a different row to the tile.