TFM Music Maker

Talk about development tools here

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

muteKi

Post by muteKi » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:17 am

I keep getting an error when trying to convert a GEN tfd with the z80 converter.

AS tries to open the tfmsmd.asm file, and it says something like:

PASS 1 <- [K
> > >TFMSMD.ASM <20> : error : error in opening file <- K
fatal error, assembly terminated

I don't know why this is a problem. I downloaded the AS version 1.41r8 DOS binaries from http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000/as/download.html if it helps any (Devega is down, presumably for good, so I couldn't download it from the link in the text file).

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:31 am

AS says you clearly - it can't open file which included on line 20 (Header.asm). It's common problem, so I'll include this file in next release. For now, you can get it here.

muteKi

Post by muteKi » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:55 am

Yeah, I figured that was the problem when I looked at it in notepad (I don't have any other editors, really), and commenting it out worked fine -- thought at first 20 was an error number, not the line dumber (silly me).

Works fine now, for the most part.

TulioAdriano
Very interested

Post by TulioAdriano » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:56 pm

I need help!

I've been working in a song on TFM MM 1.3, 5:26 lenght, 37 patterns. No matter what I do, when I save the song it always saves like a blank file, that is, when I reload the file it won't bring anything back to the patterns.

Now regarding data it is saving 21 kb, and when I look at it on an Hex Editor I can see data filled in from top to bottom.

Maybe there's some way to hack the file to make it "openable" again...

Can someone help me?

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:01 pm

Well, taking in account that only one men knows how program works internally and knows it's module format (which is changed in 1.3 and not documented yet), you definitely must ask 'someone' for help.

Before 1.21 there was unstable bug in module saving code, but it's fixed now and I don't think it's same problem.

There is only one case when module can be empty after loading - when any error occurs while reading file (wrong file format or not enough memory), but in this case error message will be displayed.

Exact reason of problem can be determined only when you'll send me problem file (which loads as empty). Earlier copy of same file, which loads OK, will help too.

TulioAdriano
Very interested

Post by TulioAdriano » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:07 pm

I'll email to you asap, also, I forgot to mention, the program is still open (as I don't want to loose my module) so let me know if you want me to peform any "special" operation.

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:21 pm

Unfortunately there is no any 'special operations'. You can't even copy-paste parts of module to another and save them, because program does not use Windows clipboard.

The only 'voodoo' action which I can suggest is that you can cut one whole pattern (most longer one, Ctrl+A, Ctrl+X) and try to save module. If problem somehow connected with size of module, that may help (excluded pattern will be in program's clipboard after 'New module', so you could save it separately).

Flashbob

Post by Flashbob » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:16 pm

Hi all, 1st post.
@Shiru: Thanks a ton for great tracker!

I hope I'm not a complete idiot with this:

I haven't been able to enter the Ñ command (TL of OP#3), ALT+0209 doesn't work, neither Spanish keybord layout.
I'm also a little curious: Why Ñ? It isn't even a letter from Cyrillic, right?

Thanks!

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:38 pm

Flashbob wrote:I'm also a little curious: Why Ñ? It isn't even a letter from Cyrillic, right?

Thanks!
It's a typo, right letter is 'C'. In help file similar cyrillic symbol (which looks same as C with cyrillic font) was used accidentaly.

Flashbob

Post by Flashbob » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:46 pm

Oh man, I could have figured that out from the alphabetic order...
Thanks again!

Lord Nightmare
Interested

Post by Lord Nightmare » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:41 am

Two questions: was the minor fix to fm.c (ym2203_emu.cpp in tfmmaker):
** 14-02-2006 Alone Coder:
** - fixed YM2203 stop volume (511 instead of MAX_ATT_INDEX) - verified on real chip
** - fixed YM2203 SSG-EG=#0a key off (inversion disabled) - verified on real chip
** - uncommented sine generator in SSG-EG reinit - verified on real chip
ever submitted back to the mame team? Theres much discussion about the 2203 and 2612 in the genesis subforum recently too, and a lot of updates to mame's fm.c based on discoveries there, It'd be nice if everyone was on the same page, so to speak. Based on what I see in the mame source updates, Eke-Eke submitted at least some of Alone Coder's fixes, listed as such.

Also, are there importers for sysex and other formatted data for ym2151/OPM patches to be translated to OPN ones? Theres a HUGE library of OPM patches from/for yamaha synths at http://www.burp.nl/dx/ and theres even more patches you can find elsewhere (yahoo groups).

LN
"When life gives you zombies.... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:52 am

Lord Nightmare wrote:was the minor fix to fm.c .. ever submitted back to the mame team?
Eke-Eke submitted at least some of Alone Coder's fixes, listed as such.
You answered by yourself. Eke-Eke submitted fixes which he found important (or correct).
Lord Nightmare wrote:Also, are there importers for sysex and other formatted data for ym2151/OPM patches to be translated to OPN ones? Theres a HUGE library of OPM patches from/for yamaha synths at http://www.burp.nl/dx/ and theres even more patches you can find elsewhere (yahoo groups).
I thought about that and decided to not add sysex support in editor. External conversion tool will be better. I don't plan to make such tool too, because it is not so important (there are enough patches available already) and requires to reverse-engineer those sysex formats, which requires time and isn't interesting for me.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:32 am

I've looked over the format and plan to make a python script to convert the format, but haven't gotten around to it. Pretty low on my ToDo list. :D

SteveMartin
Interested

Post by SteveMartin » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:30 am

I don't get how to make new patterns. I press the ^ thing next to "patterns" and instead of making a new box in the order list, the one I'm on turns into 1 from 0. How do I make it a unique? I assumed the way it was done is press the button to make the pattern number go up to 1, then right click and press "insert new", but that just ends up deleting what was even in the 0 pattern. What is going on? :/

And also 0 seems like it insists on having L next to it. I keep pressing L since it says that sets if you want it looped or not, but it just stays at L no matter what.

I feel stupid :P

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:02 pm

'Insert new' works only if you select non-empty order list position. You also can add position to the end of the order list if select first empty box after the end of the order list and type new pattern number. ^ things next to 'Patterns' are simply changes number of pattern for current order position.