Linux Genesis Dev Setup

Talk about development tools here

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

kubilus1
Very interested

Post by kubilus1 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:15 pm

Lots of updates to this build setup.

*BSD users should be able to specify gmake and fetch instead of wget.
*Reworked a lot of the sgdk skeleton framework to work better and be more friendly with the existing sgdk examples.
*Patched some issues I found in sgdk related to using stdio.h
*Patched sgdk tools for issues related to *BSD 'removed malloc.h'

BSD users will do something like :

Building the framework:

Code: Select all

MAKE=gmake MGET=fetch gmake

Building sgdk:

Code: Select all

cd sgdk; gmake install
It appears that a lot of the gotcha between OSX and FreeBSD are similar so perhaps this is a step closer to working on OSX.

NOTE: This will likely require installing 'unzip' from ports. Otherwise this is tested on a minimal 8.3 setup with only 'bash' 'sudo' 'unzip' 'vim-lite' and 'subversion' added post installation.

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:47 pm

Sorry for the delay in getting back. I had a chance to attempt the Build again today on FreeBSD 9:

axiom# uname -a
FreeBSD axiom.home.local 9.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE #0: Tue Jan 3 07:15:25 UTC 2012 root@obrian.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

The only Section that fails is the fetch/wget of the File 'makefiles-ldscripts-2.zip' from the Address 'http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/2/3/2 ... ipts-2.zip'.

I checked using Fetch and I tried it manually using a Web-Browser. This is no fault of yours kubilus1 - it's due to the Fetch attempt returning a "403 Forbidden".

I actually had this Zip-File handy on the Server so I copied it to my build Directory and let it build.

I haven't tested it thoroughly but the gmake was successful.

Many Thanks for having put this Makefile together, kubilus1 and thank you for including us FreeBSD Folks :) If you need a Log-File of the Build, let me know ;)

kubilus1
Very interested

Post by kubilus1 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:59 pm

Very cool. I would be interested in if building programs and examples actually work, I just did a minimal BSD install without X.

Up until recently I had been using FreeBSD as the core OS for a product at work. Going on to do other things now. It really is a great operating system to develop on.

So does France block most file hosting services as a rule? Perhaps these could be mirrored elsewhere.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:57 pm

The problem is Fileden - they're upgrading right now and almost NOTHING is available. The only thing I can do is access my basic account profile... everything else gives that 403 forbidden message, and the support page says that the site is being upgraded and to email a special address if you need help.

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:37 pm

kubilus1 wrote:Very cool. I would be interested in if building programs and examples actually work, I just did a minimal BSD install without X.

Up until recently I had been using FreeBSD as the core OS for a product at work. Going on to do other things now. It really is a great operating system to develop on.

So does France block most file hosting services as a rule? Perhaps these could be mirrored elsewhere.
Yes, I shall build some Programs and see how it goes. Tbh it should work once past the Build-Stage.

I do not use X under FreeBSD either - nor under my Linux Machines - I have OS X and SSH ;)

I got a bit fed up of Things failing to build for far too many silly Reasons under Linux so I opted to move the majority of my Development onto either a BSD or Solaris. Solaris is in a weird Situation at present so I went for FreeBSD and Things 'work'. You get a bit sick of all the different Distros under Linux after a while for long-term Stuff.

No Idea about France and its Policies but I am based in Germany :)

Cheers!

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:39 pm

Chilly Willy wrote:The problem is Fileden - they're upgrading right now and almost NOTHING is available. The only thing I can do is access my basic account profile... everything else gives that 403 forbidden message, and the support page says that the site is being upgraded and to email a special address if you need help.
Yes, a blessed '403' isn't as bad as a '404' :) They are probably looking to sink another 'Kim dot Com' Character in time for January or some such Dinosaur Tyranny - 'so let's have an Audit!' :D

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:41 pm

I am a bit old fashioned: using File-Hosting Sites is not a very good long-term Solution. Could the LD-Scripts be hosted somewhere else? What about the MD-Wiki that Oerg86 contributes to? Any other Ideas?

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:40 pm

I've got my own web site, but I haven't had the chance to set it up yet.

ammianus
Very interested

Post by ammianus » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:24 pm

MintyTheCat wrote:I am a bit old fashioned: using File-Hosting Sites is not a very good long-term Solution. Could the LD-Scripts be hosted somewhere else? What about the MD-Wiki that Oerg86 contributes to? Any other Ideas?
If it's considered open source code, then all the necessary files could be set up as a project on Google Code, Sourceforge or a few other services, Github maybe?

I have a small site, but bandwidth costs a lot of money for me.

sega16
Very interested

Post by sega16 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:53 pm

ammianus wrote: I have a small site, but bandwidth costs a lot of money for me.
Really what hosting service do you use. I pay nothing for my website http://sega16.x10.mx/
I use http://x10hosting.com/ so far it seems to be a good hosting provider.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:40 pm

I think setting it up as a google code page is the way to go. With perhaps a mirror elsewhere, just in case. It's all open source, so that's not a problem.

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:07 pm

ammianus wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote:I am a bit old fashioned: using File-Hosting Sites is not a very good long-term Solution. Could the LD-Scripts be hosted somewhere else? What about the MD-Wiki that Oerg86 contributes to? Any other Ideas?
If it's considered open source code, then all the necessary files could be set up as a project on Google Code, Sourceforge or a few other services, Github maybe?

I have a small site, but bandwidth costs a lot of money for me.
Yes - these are all good Ideas :) What about setting up a Repository for Spritesmind?

kubilus1
Very interested

Post by kubilus1 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:04 am

Hmmm. I've already setup a google code project for the linux build scripts. Don't see why I can't host the files there as well.

kubilus1
Very interested

Post by kubilus1 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:06 am

No Idea about France and its Policies but I am based in Germany
Somehow I read 'Fetch attempt returning 403' as 'French attempt returning 403'. Sorry about that :)[/quote]

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:29 am

kubilus1 wrote:Hmmm. I've already setup a google code project for the linux build scripts. Don't see why I can't host the files there as well.
That's a great Idea - cheers.