doragasu
Very interested

Post by doragasu » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:05 pm

Great! Thanks a whole lot!

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Post by djcouchycouch » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:56 pm

*cough* OSX version? *cough*

Man, there's this bad cold going around!

kubilus1
Very interested

Post by kubilus1 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:05 pm

You better get that checked out.

OSX is based on BSD which is a *nix, so assuming you can setup a gcc build environment on OSX, it would seem possible that this would *just work* I don't have a Mac to try this on, but I do have access to FreeBSD, which is kinda-sorta similar.

neologix
Very interested

Post by neologix » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:55 pm

The Apple-made version of gcc is notoriously behind and has Apple command-line switches, so if you use it double-check your makefiles.

Count SymphoniC
Very interested

Post by Count SymphoniC » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:20 am

Ugh... anyone know how to fix this? The first two lines went great, then I try to "make install" and I get :

make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.

I still need to get more familiarized with Linux. So I could just be overlooking something obvious.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:12 pm

Count SymphoniC wrote:Ugh... anyone know how to fix this? The first two lines went great, then I try to "make install" and I get :

I still need to get more familiarized with Linux. So I could just be overlooking something obvious.
There is no "make install" needed with the current makefile. Look at the targets:

Code: Select all

all: setup build postbuild

setup: work $(FILES) work/gcc-4.5.2 work/gcc-4.5.2/mpfr work/gcc-4.5.2/mpc work/gcc-4.5.2/gmp work/binutils-2.21 work/newlib-1.19.0 work/makefile-gen

build: /opt/toolchains/gen
	echo "Build"
	cd work && \
	make -f makefile-gen

postbuild: /opt/toolchains/gen/ldscripts tools
"all" is usually the primary target, and all builds setup, build, and postbuild. Postbuild builds tools, and that's all there is. So one make (or make all) should build and install everything where it needs to go.

kubilus1
Very interested

Post by kubilus1 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:46 am

Ugh... anyone know how to fix this? The first two lines went great, then I try to "make install" and I get :

That's probably my fault. I had the instructions say to type 'make install', only typing 'make' is necessary.

I've updated this, my apologies.

Count SymphoniC
Very interested

Post by Count SymphoniC » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:17 pm

kubilus1 wrote:

That's probably my fault. I had the instructions say to type 'make install', only typing 'make' is necessary.

I've updated this, my apologies.
No problem, that actually fixed the problem. Now I have a new one.

checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl.exe... no
configure: error: in `/home/countsymphonic/gendev-read-only/work/build-binutils-sh-elf-2.21':
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.
make[1]: *** [build-sh2-binutils] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/countsymphonic/gendev-read-only/work'
make: *** [build] Error 2

Is this because I need to acquire a C compiler separately (I haven't done this yet), should be able to use a Linux version of Eclipse, no?

Either way, continuing any further with your instructions past the "make" command that you corrected, results in issues. See below...

countsymphonic@countsymphonic-Satellite-U405D:~/gendev-read-only$ . ~/.gendev
bash: /home/countsymphonic/.gendev: No such file or directory

And...

countsymphonic@countsymphonic-Satellite-U405D:~/gendev-read-only$ cd gendev-read-only/sgdk (This is crap, I checked in the file manager and the folder does in fact exist.)

Thanks for the help so far, and I apologize, I've been a Windows user for years. I just needed a good excuse to jump into Linux.

:roll:

kubilus1
Very interested

Post by kubilus1 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:30 pm

1.) Yes, you will need to install gcc first in order to build this. Try 'sudo apt-get install gcc'.

2.) I have no idea about Eclipse, vim is my editor.

3.) You were already in the 'gendev-read-only' folder when you were trying to get to the sgdk directory. You were essentially trying to enter the directory '~/gendev-read-only/gendev-read-only/sgdk'. You would just need to type 'cd sgdk'. Besides, you will need to have the first step complete before you can do this.

Keep the feedback coming!

Count SymphoniC
Very interested

Post by Count SymphoniC » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:10 pm

kubilus1 wrote:1.) Yes, you will need to install gcc first in order to build this. Try 'sudo apt-get install gcc'.

2.) I have no idea about Eclipse, vim is my editor.

3.) You were already in the 'gendev-read-only' folder when you were trying to get to the sgdk directory. You were essentially trying to enter the directory '~/gendev-read-only/gendev-read-only/sgdk'. You would just need to type 'cd sgdk'. Besides, you will need to have the first step complete before you can do this.

Keep the feedback coming!
1) Thanks.

2) Omg, I was on very little sleep, I should have at least noticed this one on my own. Thanks again!, I'll post later to let you know how it went.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:02 pm

Eclipse is an editor, not a compiler. It was meant to be the top end of the IDE for Java, but people have since added support for other compilers... but you still need to install the compilers separately. All Eclipse does by itself is edit text files.

I use Geany as my editor of choice. It's perhaps the lightest weight editor while still retaining many nice features. It's available on all platforms.

Count SymphoniC
Very interested

Post by Count SymphoniC » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:27 am

Well once again, these issues have been fixed, but once again I have a new one... maybe.

After issuing the "make" command. The terminal displays an endless amount of infomration.
At first I thought everything was going smoothly, but it's been about an hour and half or so, and this process has yet to come to a stop. In fact, I believe that I'm starting to see the same thing over and over again... are my eyes playing tricks on me, or is the terminal stuck in an endless loop??? :shock:

I thought this would be a fairly simple procedure...

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:44 am

Making the compiler can take HOURS depending on the computer. You have to make the binutils, then you make a basic C compiler, then you make newlib, then you make the full C and C++ compilers. Every time configure runs for something, you'll get near identical stream of prints to the terminal. So yes, you should indeed be seeing almost the same thing over and over and over.

Count SymphoniC
Very interested

Post by Count SymphoniC » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:55 am

Chilly Willy wrote:Making the compiler can take HOURS depending on the computer. You have to make the binutils, then you make a basic C compiler, then you make newlib, then you make the full C and C++ compilers. Every time configure runs for something, you'll get near identical stream of prints to the terminal. So yes, you should indeed be seeing almost the same thing over and over and over.
Sigh... well I had a slight nagging suspicion that was the case. Either way, I won't be able to proceed with this for now. I set aside a smaller set of partitions for a dual boot setup with win 7 and kubuntu... and this whole compile process ate up the remaining space, and still wasn't complete.
Good thing I'm upgrading the laptop hard drive soon.

Thanks for all the friendly pointers guys, I'll probably come back with an updated report on how things went after I get the new hard drive. Until then, I'll just have to do a study on Genesis docs and learn what I can. I'm not sure I feel like setting up the Genesis dev environment on Windows... although it'd probably be easy. I really want to do this on Linux.