Linux Genesis Dev Setup

Talk about development tools here

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:30 am

kubilus1 wrote:
No Idea about France and its Policies but I am based in Germany
Somehow I read 'Fetch attempt returning 403' as 'French attempt returning 403'. Sorry about that :)
[/quote]

:lol:

kubilus1
Very interested

Post by kubilus1 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:44 pm

Okay, I've added the gcc linker scripts and makefiles (makefiles-ldscripts-2.zip) into the google code project. Hopefully keeping this all together will make the build more reliable.

Right now, I just have the zip file checked into the project. Likely I will re-arrange the layout in a more logical manner. When I have time ;)

kubilus1
Very interested

Debian Package Added

Post by kubilus1 » Sat May 04, 2013 5:02 pm

Just added a debian package of the Linux Genesis development kit:

https://code.google.com/p/gendev/downlo ... b&can=2&q=

This should setup gcc, sgdk, etc under /opt/toolchains/gen. I also included a skeleton sgdk project under /opt/toolchains/gen/skeleton that can be copied in order to start a project.

Note that this is experimental and I won't be responsible for your computer blowing up.

Zontar
Very interested

Post by Zontar » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:58 pm

Is anyone else having trouble with a threaded (make -j16) build? It just stops on certain files when listing them.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:56 pm

Zontar wrote:Is anyone else having trouble with a threaded (make -j16) build? It just stops on certain files when listing them.
You have a 16 core system?? Damn! :shock:

I only ever use -j1 on all my cross dev stuff since I want to be able to do something else at the same time on my dual core system.

Anywho, using more threads bumps up the memory used TREMENDOUSLY. I sometimes run out of memory on -j2, so I can't imagine how much ram you'd need to pass at -j16.

Zontar
Very interested

Post by Zontar » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:19 pm

Chilly Willy wrote:
Zontar wrote:Is anyone else having trouble with a threaded (make -j16) build? It just stops on certain files when listing them.
You have a 16 core system?? Damn! :shock:

I only ever use -j1 on all my cross dev stuff since I want to be able to do something else at the same time on my dual core system.

Anywho, using more threads bumps up the memory used TREMENDOUSLY. I sometimes run out of memory on -j2, so I can't imagine how much ram you'd need to pass at -j16.
I have an 8 core system. :D I've heard recommendations to use twice the number of cores you have in order to compensate for I/O blocking, so when building, I use -j16. RAM isn't too much of a concern since I have 16GB (8GB of which I have on an dismountable tmpfs).

Anyway, I've just decided to build it on one thread and wait it out. Last time I tried building this it had some PATH issues so I'm hoping this second run irons it out.

Zontar
Very interested

Post by Zontar » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:37 pm

I'm having no problems building and running with this setup, but I think there's a small problem with the way the header is included. I've taken a look at a ROM I've done with assembly by hand and compared it with a ROM built by the toolkit, and it looks like the Genesis header from the toolkit is way down in the middle of the ROM. This loads just fine on emulators, but will something like this work on real hardware, if the Genesis header isn't in the beginning of the ROM file?

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:50 pm

For real hardware, the header should be at the start of the file. Flash cart menus may or may not be able to deal with the header not being where it should be. If you were burning it to EPROMs, it would definitely be a problem.

You need to track down what is displacing the header... one possible reason - not using the correct linker script. Another would be using the wrong link order.

deckman

Post by deckman » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:43 pm

is there a mirror for the sjasm source? im trying to get gendev up and running but wanadoo.nl is down

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:00 pm

Try again - it's working for me. Might have been just something temporary.

kubilus1
Very interested

Post by kubilus1 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:00 am

Linker order was wrong. Moved the header to the beginning of the ROM. It's about time I get a flash cart ;)

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:21 am

kubilus1 wrote:Linker order was wrong. Moved the header to the beginning of the ROM. It's about time I get a flash cart ;)
I've done that myself, which is why I mentioned it. Getting a flash cart is great - nothing beats seeing your own stuff on real hardware. 8)

Zontar
Very interested

Post by Zontar » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:29 am

kubilus1 wrote:Linker order was wrong. Moved the header to the beginning of the ROM. It's about time I get a flash cart ;)
I still see the header in the middle of the file for me. All I did though was copy the new makefile out of SVN skeleton/ folder and dropped it in my project. Is there something else I have to do? Do I need to reinstall the SDK?

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:36 am

The sega.o file have to be the first linked object file (and so the first file in the .o list at link). If your makefile does not take care of that your header file won't be correctly localized and the obtained rom corrupted.

ElBarto
Very interested

Post by ElBarto » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:58 pm

Ideally the sega.o must be in the ld script, that's what I've done in my setup.