newbie needs help

Ask anything your want about Mega/SegaCD programming.

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

myfishbone

newbie needs help

Post by myfishbone » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:11 pm

Hi to all the sega lovers!

I never knew the sega retro scene was so big!!! anyway i have put down a goal out of passion for the sega megadrive and sega cd to learn how to program for the m68k , i however dont know where to start and would be greatly appreciate it if one of you out there can help me out:

1- i am guessing i have to learn how the 68k works first?
2 -assembly or C?
3 -what dev tools do i require and which make the job easier?
4- music tools?
5 - graphic tools? ...palette??

i guess i have no clue where to start, and i have to learn how to program fresh ( i was a basic programmer back in the day) :)

please someone help!!!

Sik
Very interested

Post by Sik » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:16 pm

Wow, finally I'm putting my page in good use :P

It depends what you want to do. Some people say ASM, some people say C. I use ASM, but it's a matter of taste. Also, I wouldn't start with the Sega CD as a first project. If you want to try something simple, Basiegaxorz is a BASIC compiler for the Mega Drive, and has native Mega CD support, so you may want to go and try. It's useful to understand how the hardware works, to then try ASM and C by programming the hardware the hard way.

Go and check my page (look at my sig, Mega Drive Research and Development Center). In the tools section you can find Basiegaxorz, and in the docs section there's some stuff about programming the Mega Drive hardware.
Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".

myfishbone

Post by myfishbone » Thu May 01, 2008 11:48 am

thanks Sik! for the advice