32x initialization by hand

Ask anything your want about the 32X Mushroom programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Sik
Very interested

32x initialization by hand

Post by Sik » Sat May 03, 2008 4:13 pm

Hey, does anybody how to initialize the 32x by hand? Normally the 32x BIOS does it, but without the security code, that won't happen, leaving the 32x unusable. So, does anybody have any info about doing this by hand?
Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".

ob1
Very interested

Post by ob1 » Mon May 05, 2008 7:05 am

Look to the topics :
Master SH2 BIOS
32x "security code" reverse engineered

You got to put the security code in your ROM.

Sik
Very interested

Post by Sik » Mon May 05, 2008 11:23 am

I have both the original source code and the binary version of the security program that the BIOS looks for, but the issue is that it's copyrighted and I don't want to use illegal code :/ So I'm looking for a way to enable the 32x without having to use it. It's the hard way, but anyways >_> If I found a way to dodge this I'll make the code public, I assure you.

ob1
Very interested

Post by ob1 » Mon May 05, 2008 12:17 pm

Can't remember exactly who did the free BIOS. The main point is to bypass the security code check. Works great with emulators, a bit harder on real ahrdware, but eh, that's
the hard way
;)

edit :
Devster did :
http://devster.monkeeh.com/sega/32x/poo ... x_bios.zip

Sik
Very interested

Post by Sik » Mon May 05, 2008 12:33 pm

I don't want to replace the BIOS, I want to be able to make a 32x program that can run with the original BIOS still not using the security code. This implies making the BIOS check fail, and then overriding it doing all (de)initialization by hand.

Basically, I want the software to have the hack, not the hardware :P

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Mon May 05, 2008 8:43 pm

It was already decided by precedence in court (against SEGA of all people) that if otherwise copyrighted data is used as a "key" to allow a program to run on hardware, anyone can include that data freely without copyright hassle. In other words, security cannot use copyright law to preempt interoperability. So those blocks to embed in ROMs or CDs to make the game work on real hardware are freely usable (in the US at least) because interoperability is written into all our copyright law, including that abortion - the DMCA. In fact, LexMark recently lost a case that reaffirmed that decision for the same reasons. If I remember correctly, most of Europe is the same way - you can't use copyrighted data as a key for security to lock out competition. I think Australia is not that way - Australia has the most draconian of copyright laws in the world right now. You cannot legally copy your own CDs, for example.

Sik
Very interested

Post by Sik » Mon May 05, 2008 8:58 pm

The copyright isn't in the method used, but in the code itself, and it isn't public domain, so it still can't be used. What you say may apply for things such as the header where the only infringment is the "SEGA" word and still it doesn't do anything expressive, but not for code that you can run directly. Simple as that. Why do you think every piece of software comes with a license?

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Mon May 05, 2008 10:17 pm

Sik wrote:The copyright isn't in the method used, but in the code itself, and it isn't public domain, so it still can't be used. What you say may apply for things such as the header where the only infringment is the "SEGA" word and still it doesn't do anything expressive, but not for code that you can run directly. Simple as that. Why do you think every piece of software comes with a license?
No, it's PRECISELY that as the LexMark case demonstrated. LexMark embedded a PROGRAM into their carts for security, and the courts held that despite programs being clearly copyrighted, using them as a security measure makes the copyright unenforceable. It doesn't matter WHAT is used as a security key - if it's what is needed to use the hardware, anyone else can use it too regardless of copyright.

Sik
Very interested

Post by Sik » Mon May 05, 2008 10:27 pm

I think you're talking about one of those anti-monopoly cases. Seriously, if it's like you say, then why can even small pieces of code that don't do much have a license if the author wants? And licenses often involve copyrights, even the GPL.

Mask of Destiny
Very interested

Post by Mask of Destiny » Tue May 06, 2008 3:03 am

Sik wrote:I think you're talking about one of those anti-monopoly cases. Seriously, if it's like you say, then why can even small pieces of code that don't do much have a license if the author wants? And licenses often involve copyrights, even the GPL.
It's not the size of the code that matters it's the fact that the company is trying to abuse copyright law to prevent others from producing stuff for their hardware. In those cases the copyright is unenforceable at least in the US. Besides, Sega isn't going to bother suing you over the 32X security code anymore anyway.

I'm not sure it's possible to initialize the 32X from a cartridge without the security code. The 68K doesn't have access to 32X program memory so you need the 32X BIOS to copy the data over. The Sega CD init routine doesn't do a security code check, but I don't know if that will work in a cartridge game.

Sik
Very interested

Post by Sik » Tue May 06, 2008 3:36 am

Mask of Destiny wrote:
Sik wrote:I think you're talking about one of those anti-monopoly cases. Seriously, if it's like you say, then why can even small pieces of code that don't do much have a license if the author wants? And licenses often involve copyrights, even the GPL.
It's not the size of the code that matters it's the fact that the company is trying to abuse copyright law to prevent others from producing stuff for their hardware. In those cases the copyright is unenforceable at least in the US.
Like when the EU penalized Microsoft for not revealing the format of the files produced by their programs preventing the competence from being able to use them? Still this is one of those anti-monopoly cases :P
Mask of Destiny wrote:Besides, Sega isn't going to bother suing you over the 32X security code anymore anyway.
Good point.
Mask of Destiny wrote:I'm not sure it's possible to initialize the 32X from a cartridge without the security code. The 68K doesn't have access to 32X program memory so you need the 32X BIOS to copy the data over. The Sega CD init routine doesn't do a security code check, but I don't know if that will work in a cartridge game.
If it's possible from the Mega CD, then it should be possible from a cartridge, because the 32x doesn't care about the Mega CD. But still, can CD 32x games use the SH2s? Because remember, them all were ports of previous FMV-based games with enhanced screens, and for those games, being able to copy the data directly to the framebuffer was enough :P

Anyways, who was the stupid that started with the FMV-based fashion? The only MCD game I know that uses FMV in-game and properly is Slipheed, because the backgrounds and all stuff that would always appear in the same way (the huge asteroids, the very detailed ships that break into thousands of pieces, etc.) are prerendered into a FMV (at least I've heard that). Honestly that was a very good use for them :P

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Tue May 06, 2008 6:59 am

The SEGA CD enables the 32X by turning it on, then copying a special header to the 32X framebuffer. It's basically the same as what's in a 32X cart except designed to avoid cart areas which don't exist with CD apps. I suppose you COULD make a SEGA Genesis cart that mimicked this behavior, but then all you're doing is changing the way you present the security block to the 32X.

MoD is right - I don't think anyone needs to worry about those security blocks in the Genny cart/CD/32X cart. It's well past the point of SEGA caring about anything beyond DVD collections of ROMs sold on eBay. Just make a "normal" 32X cart and don't worry about it.