How to add a sample WAV using VGM Maker?

For anything related to sound (YM2612, PSG, Z80, PCM...)

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

flatuswalrus

How to add a sample WAV using VGM Maker?

Post by flatuswalrus » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:38 am

Hello, I am new here and am starting to get into VGM Maker to compose music for the Megadrive. I am yet to fully understand the program and do not know a whole lot about the Megadrive's music limitations on the technical side of things.

I am using VGM Maker v1.02 and want to add .wav sample for a sound effect in a game. Once I export it as TFD file for the Megadrive, I compile it using BasiEgaXorz and test it on a Emulator using a .bin file and it doesn't work. My source code on the ROM side of things is okay, but I know there are limitations with .wav files regarding VGM and the Megadrive and want to know what they are.

I have a .wav that was stereo, I changed it to mono using Adobe Audition 3 with the lowest quality settings possible that I know of. I then added the sample into VGM and it worked (I can hear it), but then the emulator won't play it. Is there something specific I need to do with the Global PMC Quality settings? it says the total bank size of the .wav file when loaded into VGM is 17928 bytes, is this too much?

If anyone knows anything please explain to me in basic terms as I am a beginner and any help would be appreciated.

Flygon
Very interested

Post by Flygon » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:36 pm

I'm kind of an idiot myself, but usually when I process PCM samples for the Mega Drive, I find myself working with them as a mono unsigned/signed 8-bit PCM format, and from what I gather, the hardware can't really handle playback rates higher than 26KHz. I use Goldwave myself to either rip samples or create new ones.

I do need to admit to having absolutely no experience with VGM Maker, however, so there might be more limitations than the above I listed.

flatuswalrus

Post by flatuswalrus » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:53 pm

Flygon wrote:I do need to admit to having absolutely no experience with VGM Maker, however, so there might be more limitations than the above I listed.
That's okay, I appreciate your reply and will look into it, thanks very much.

deckman

Post by deckman » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:18 pm

have you tried exporting as a vgm instead of tfd? i suspect that tfd doesn't allow wav sampling. tfm maker, shiru's previous tracker, used the tfd architecture and had no pcm support.

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:51 pm

TFD format does not support DAC and PSG, and never will. It was a simple alternative for VGM format in TFM MM, and it is obsolete in VGM MM. I'm not even sure TFD export still works.

Currently there are no ready-made players for music with DAC and PSG to use in games.