JAVASCRIPT PSG~!!

For anything related to sound (YM2612, PSG, Z80, PCM...)

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

neologix
Very interested

JAVASCRIPT PSG~!!

Post by neologix » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:00 am

STEP 2 OF MY MASTER PLAN IS COMPLETE!!!!!!!!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you as a proof of concept: the JS76489.

http://www.luxatom.com/vst-psg.php

Took me a bit of screwing around w/initializing registers until a sound was made, but boy was that sound made! As with the JS2612 test, only one channel is audible (a tone channel, not the noise :( ), and with this test changing parameters don't affect anything yet. Once again, audio is played back using ggalitz's XAudioJS.

psg-js on github

(cross-posted to smspower, spritesmind, project2612)

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:22 am

Uh - the programs sound the same. You would think a grand piano would sound at least a LITTLE different than a trumpet. :wink:

EDIT: Ah - noticed you said the parameters do nothing yet. Will wait until they do. :D

neologix
Very interested

Post by neologix » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:53 am

Yea, the process code is the same VST.js boilerplate as the JS2612, and I haven't removed the presets yet. Unfortunately, it is this boilerplate that also generates the wave on program change.

neologix
Very interested

Post by neologix » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:37 pm

Update! I've cleaned up the boilerplate, so now the "Volume 1" parameter actually affects the velocity of the sample MIDI events, which actually affects attenuation! Also, I've added another MIDI note to prove that VST.js can actually handle a stream (albeit small) of MIDI note events.

If I do it right, the next update to the JS76489 will contain multiple tone channels playing at once!

neologix
Very interested

Post by neologix » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:33 pm

update - it seems my site has exceeded bandwidth quota for august, so NONE of the VST.js demos (vst-dx10.js, vst-2612.js, vst-psg.js) will be available during this time. my apologies to anyone who wanted to try these out and i hope access to be restored at the beginning of next month.