VGM player. Plays samples correctly, Works on real machine.

For anything related to sound (YM2612, PSG, Z80, PCM...)

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:36 pm

You have 128 volume levels in a logarithmic manner. Adding fades would require quite bit of additional headache...
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

muteKi

Post by muteKi » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:46 pm

This is really cool, but I notice that when switching between tracks that panning isn't always reset. I dunno if that's just because of an issue from the way I export them from TFM or if it's something else, but it would be nice if the player did that (reset panning when switching tracks). Sometimes I'm playing a song I made and it sounds out of balance as a result. :/

SmartOne
Very interested

Post by SmartOne » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:14 pm

Is there a way to make Kega Fusion switch to the next track/rom when I drag a VGZ onto VGM_PLAY? It's annoying how it creates another instance of Kega Fusion, and then it's just loud, CPU-consuming mess.

Hmm, if only Snake would add a VGM player to Kega Fusion so we all won't have to deal with this nonsense... Better yet, a Winamp (and thus XMPlay) plugin...

Aside from Kega, AamirM's latest "undistributable" (why, AamirM, why??) in_vgx.dll is quite good, other than a few glitches, balance issues, and panning issues.

Off topic, but this is the state of accurate VGM playing. :?

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:19 pm

Aside from Kega, AamirM's latest "undistributable" (why, AamirM, why??) in_vgx.dll is quite good, other than a few glitches, balance issues, and panning issues.
Undistributable?? Didn't I post it on Project2612?
But anyways, blargg seems to be busy with other stuff so I may try and fix those issues myself (finally). But I am busy with lots of stuff myself as illustrated by the following list, written in order of highest priority:

1) Get a girlfriend
2) Work on my final year project.
3) Release Regen 0.95 with debuggers.
4) Finish Turbo Engine's new GUI.
5) Finish CDROM support for Turbo Engine.
6) Finish SegaCD support in Regen.
7) Finish 32x support in Regen.
8)Fix bugs with VGM plugins.
9) Fix the bugs in NTSC plugin for Regen.
10) Start Sonic 3D Turbo HD Remix 8)
11) Study the university stuff.

There are some other things I am forgetting.

SmartOne
Very interested

Post by SmartOne » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:46 pm

From your Private Message, you wrote:
Originally Posted by SmartOne, I wrote: Could you please migrate your improvements included in foo_gep over to in_vgx and release the updated version? I'm really excited for the new version (and also DAC panning later.)

foo_gep won't play VGZs! It's killing me!
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=44TSQIZO . Don't redistribute.
Didn't seem very distributable.

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:25 pm

Hmm....there must've been some reason I said that. But I don't remember it now. Anyways, feel free to post it on Project2612 as well.

SmartOne
Very interested

Post by SmartOne » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:57 pm

MIKE-STAMP sent me a new version: VGM_PLAY v2.00+

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qqqit6

It gives you an option to kill the emulator before creating a new instance to play the newly built VGM rom.

Snake
Very interested

Post by Snake » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:45 pm

AamirM wrote:1) Get a girlfriend
You don't want one of those, they suck.
AamirM wrote:1) Finish Turbo Engine's new GUI.
2) Finish CDROM support for Turbo Engine.
There, much better list :D

mic_
Very interested

Post by mic_ » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:44 pm

You don't want one of those, they suck.
Maybe that's one of the reasons he wants one? :wink: Sorry, but you really set that one up..

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 pm

Maybe that's one of the reasons he wants one? Wink Sorry, but you really set that one up..
Hahahaha......thats a good one. :lol:

Snake
Very interested

Post by Snake » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:53 am

mic_ wrote:Sorry, but you really set that one up..
Yes, I picked my words very carefully ;)

kenobit

Post by kenobit » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:45 am

Hi everybody, sorry for the bump, this is my first post on this board. I'm looking for Mike Stamp's VGM play, but all the links I find are dead. Would anyone be so kind to rehost it?

mic_
Very interested

Post by mic_ » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:31 am

I might still have it on my old desktop machine at home, unless someone else can provide a backup. If you just want a VGM player with accurate timing and don't care about compression I think you can find others on this forum (I'm pretty sure ChillyWilly wrote one, for example).

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:39 pm

mic_ wrote:I might still have it on my old desktop machine at home, unless someone else can provide a backup. If you just want a VGM player with accurate timing and don't care about compression I think you can find others on this forum (I'm pretty sure ChillyWilly wrote one, for example).
http://code.google.com/p/neo-myth-menu/ ... m_player.s

8)

It's pretty accurate. Actually, the biggest issue I've found is trying to shut off the FM sound in such a way as to not impact turning it on later. For example, my current method silences the FM great, but certain percussion instruments don't play the first note right later.

sigMate
Interested

Post by sigMate » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:55 am

I noticed the VGM files are sometimes not very accurate at their beginning, where they need to fully place th YM chip in it's initial state before the song actually starts, they often throw the entire registers configuration in almost one single frame which is fine for emulators but not for a real chip. I had the same problem with my hardware player. I should be able to tweak the VGM streaming code to fix that in real time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f1lFdWioaM

Bye !