General guidelines on working with PSG/YM2612 natively

For anything related to sound (YM2612, PSG, Z80, PCM...)

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:41 pm

Well actually if you really want to do a real pause and interrupt sound i guess you still need that 96 YM writes ! key-off only is not enough a RR can be infinite... so you definitely have to set TL and D1L to max for each operator :-/
And before resuming music you need to restore them to their previous values... which means you need to save them, arg !
Well i have some ideas about it ;)

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:48 am

If you want instant silence set L and R flags to 0 on each channel. Then do the magic to actually silence the channels with RR parameter stuff and whatnot.
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:52 am

Oh yeah i forgot about the L/R bits, it might be a good solution for a pause (and the instant stop of course) ! Thanks for the tips :)

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:46 am

TmEE co.(TM) wrote:If you want instant silence set L and R flags to 0 on each channel. Then do the magic to actually silence the channels with RR parameter stuff and whatnot.
But any *CLICK* this way? I have only used the YM2413 and I cannot recall what happened - it was 9 years ago and I am now old and forgetful :P
UMDK Fanboy

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:59 pm

Actually i tried to use it, and it does not work really nicely on real hardware.
Strangely when you disable a channel (LR set to 0) while it was playing you can sometime still heard it (but at a lower level and somehow distorted). So i had to find another solution ;)