VGM2PRE open beta

For anything related to sound (YM2612, PSG, Z80, PCM...)

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

neologix
Very interested

VGM2PRE open beta

Post by neologix » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:30 pm

Since I've forgotten who originally were beta testers, I've decided to make this beta version an open beta. I'm posting on the Mega Drive forum because I need the input of those who use Echo. Download below!
This version can do the following:
  • Dump YM2612 presets to .VGI for Shiru's VGM MM, among other apps
  • Dump YM2612 presets to .TFI for Shiru's TFM Maker and Aly James's FMDRIVE VSTi
  • Dump YM2612 presets to .TYI for superjoebob's YM2612 VSTi
  • Dump YM2612 presets to .EIF for use with the Echo Sound Format (experimental)
  • Dump YM2612 presets to .DMP for use with DefleMask Tracker (experimental)
To toggle various preset formats (mainly for preventing folder jam), use the following undocumented command "-p2612" (or "/p2612" for you Windows users):

Code: Select all

vgm2pre.exe -p2612 111110 files
It's undocumented because it's only temporary; eventually they'll be split out. The six-digit argument following -p2612 uses 1 or 0 for the digits and toggles formats in the following order from left to right:

VGI, TFI, TYI, EIF, DMP, Y12 (Y12 is currently unsupported and for now will only print a message to the console when enabled)

The formats that need the most testing are EIF (because I don't do Mega Drive development) and DMP (because I don't have DefleMask on any of my computers for now).

Also undocumented but probably more permanent is the ability to pass multiple files or directories to the app. Use this feature at your own risk, as this allows the potential to process the entire Genesis VGM library at once at the cost of using all your comp's memory and possibly BSODing as a result.

r57shell
Very interested

Post by r57shell » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:48 pm

I can send you packs of TFI or TYI from some games used by GEMS driver converted from internal data used by driver.
For comparing purposes.
Or you can do it yourself, if you locate and copy bank with instruments from game, and use my program "gems_instruments" on it.
Last edited by r57shell on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neologix
Very interested

Post by neologix » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:38 pm

I think you misunderstand me a little bit, r57shell. The current stable version of VGM2PRE already produces VGI, TFI, and TYI files that are confirmed to work. This beta is mainly for testing EIF and DMP file output that I've added after that since I neither use Echo nor DefleMask, and I didn't touch the previously working formats.

If you use Echo and/or DefleMask by all means please let me know if files VGM2PRE produces work! :)

r57shell
Very interested

Post by r57shell » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:41 pm

neologix, I think I understand you, but you misunderstand me.
FTI files that you generated goes from VGZ/VGM. My TFI files goes from internal sound driver data. So, it can be intersting to compare them.

neologix
Very interested

Post by neologix » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:08 pm

Ohhhhhh, ok I think understand you now! Since my app uses shiru's formula for picking the "loudest" version of a preset, it's not guaranteed to dump the one that was originally programmed into the game.

I would definitely like to compare what gets dumped with what was originally programmed, yes! Please link to whatever you have, thanks :)

neologix
Very interested

Post by neologix » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:11 am

Delek pointed out differences in the DMP format DefleMask currently outputs and the instrument format within a DMF file that I've used, so I've updated the beta.

Everyone please re-download from the above links, since this one now has working DMP output! I still need confirmation from Echo users on EIF before I can call this version stable, thanks.

neologix
Very interested

Post by neologix » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:28 pm

NEW YEAR'S EVE UPDATE! Only 64-bit version for now.

http://www.luxatom.com/fk/vgm2pre-64.7z

Changes: I've finally added *.Y12 dumping and...A GUI!

The GUI is not finalized, but it's usable. The following menu items are usable:
  • File->Open File: Dump from a single file.
  • File->Open Directory: Dump from VGM/VGZ files in a single directory.
  • File->Quit: Quit the program.
  • Tools->Preferences: Toggle which formats get dumped for the given chips. Disabled checkboxes mean those formats aren't supported yet.
  • Help->About: Show program info.
You can also drag-and-drop multiple files and/or directories at once onto the GUI instead of opening one file/directory at a time. The list view on the left will update with the list of files that will be processed then the "Dump" button on the bottom will be enabled. Clicking it will dump whatever formats were checked on in the preferences if a given chip can dump to those formats (eg, VGI can be dumped from YM2612 but not from YM2151 for now).

I removed the -pOPN (formerly -p2612) command line argument for now because I'm focusing on the GUI. Once I finish GYB dumping for YM2612 I'll put it back in for those who want to use command line only for scripting and such. After GYB is added and tested, I'll update the stable version and commit the source to GitHub.

neologix
Very interested

Post by neologix » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:38 pm

NEW YEAR'S DAY UPDATE! GYB dumping is added! Please re-download from the 64-bit link and remember to toggle GYB on if you plan on using it.

(edit: compiled a 32-bit test, 32-bit Windows users let me know if it works thanks! http://www.luxatom.com/fk/vgm2pre-32.7z)